276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Holding Up the Universe

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

No, the bigger problem is that this book actually isn't about bullying, or fat-shaming, or living with mental illness, it's about high school love. What I can’t understand is how come Jack’s parents or brothers didn’t know something’s wrong with his behavior?

Libby is still a big girl, but she's happy in her skin now - it's everyone else who has the problem.She refuses to let her weight define her, stand in her way of her dreams, and fights the fuck back against anyone that dares to ridicule her. If someone asked me whether this book was a good example of showing body positivism I would say a firm goodness no.

She has a great relationship with her dad and meets some good friends throughout this journey for her. Hearing the main character struggled with self-esteem and body issues made me think I was going to relate to her.She has also written four novels for adults-- American Blonde, Becoming Clementine, Velva Jean Learns to Fly, and Velva Jean Learns to Drive --as well as three nonfiction books-- The Ice Master, Ada Blackjack, and The Aqua Net Diaries, a memoir about her high school experiences.

Although, it did give Libby and Jack the opportunity to slow dance and stare into each other’s souls… so it’s fine).One day, I decided to share some of my opinions on some great - and not so great - books to people around the world. which i think is a great way to tell people who deal with bullying that IT CAN GET BETTER, it may take time, but it can happen if you get the right help and are supported. There is a truly heartbreaking moment when Jack has to pick up his little brother from a party, and, oh my god, it is one of the most upsetting things I've ever read.

Niven's honest writing shares a story of friendship, confidence, strength, and identity--and it's not one to be missed . This book is something that if I had it in high-school I would have highlighted ever stinking line of it. Jack is pretty certain that he's looking at Kam or looking at Seth when he sees them, because no-one has hair, or a laugh, like them. Once dubbed "America's Fattest Teen," when she weighed 653 pounds at her heaviest and had to be cut out of her childhood home while the media watched, she's spent the last two years being home schooled while she recovered. She does finally reach that point (when the crane is brought out) that her dad knows that help is needed.

Definitely not here for the horrible, weight shaming premise noted for this book on GR (I'm speaking as a woman who's struggled with weight issues most of my life, but yet I've worked with overweight kids/teens in the past in my educational field of sports medicine. Their worlds collide in a horribly cruel high school game and an unlikely friendship is formed that leads to something even deeper. And you will hate me, and some people will hate me, but I'm going to do it anyway to protect you and also myself". Libby may give Jack a nudge in the right direction with her support, but it's Jack who takes the initiative to finally get himself tested, to understand more about his brain, and to, eventually, come to terms with it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment