276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The New Jumper (The Hueys)

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The ending was a fun surprise and I was just shaking my head and saying something along the lines of: "Oh Rupert, no just no." :P The New Jumper’ is part of a series of books about the Hueys. Think of a selection of different plots for books in this series. Can you write one of these and add illustrations too?

I'm sort of ambivalent about it, but the fact that I'm thinking about it enough to realize my ambivalence - and the reasons for it - makes me give this book an "I liked it" rating of three stars. Why are the other Hueys horrified when Rupert does something different? How do people sometimes feel about new / different things? Why is this? And thus the chaos starts as our other Hueys are not amused by their friend's unique ways, but then something happens... and well you will just have to read this book and see for yourself. I am a bit on the fence on if I like it or not. On the one hand it was funny, because here we have the typical Huey behaviour popping up again, but on the other hand I wished that they just could do something else for once. They just seemed like sheep with what they did here. And it did feel like a nudge to how this kind of thing works in real life.The Hueys don’t have any feet. Can you try to draw your own characters with or without feet? Which do you prefer? Why? At first we see the Hueys go by their day, from speeches to walking their dogs, to meeting up and more. It seemed kind of boring to me to have everything be the same, but thankfully there is Rupert. Here is a guy who wants to be different, so he decides to knit a sweater. And not just any sweater, oh no, this guy is going for fluorescent orange. Een tweede boek van de Hugo’s trekt direct de aandacht door de eenvoud in kleur of juist het opvallende van het oranje op een witte ondergrond.

I think I'd have liked this book better if Rupert or another of the Hueys had realized that by all of them changing in exactly the same ways, they ended up being exactly the same again. Ze doen alles hetzelfde. Ze denken hetzelfde. Alles, totdat er toch eentje denkt: ik wil iets nieuws! Ah yes, and I thought the little guys looked like computer mouses (due to their form and the little wiggle on their heads).

Keep up to date with your professional development

I first read this book a few weeks ago (March 23ish). I had to reread it before writing my review to see if it was as strange as my memory was telling me it was. Look at the shadows in the illustrations. How are shadows made? Go outside and see if you can make some shadow shapes. What message is being sent to kids in this story? Am I being overly critical and cynical when I say that I think it's telling kids that no one is truly unique and it's pointless to try to be different/yourself? Or perhaps I should lighten up and simply encourage kids to be like Rupert and think outside the box; don't be like society and copy every passing fad. On the one hand, I really liked Rupert and his desire to be a nonconformist, think for himself, and do something unique from his peers. On the other hand, I really didn't like that the rest of the Hueys copied him exactly so they all could "be different."

Say hello to the Hueys, a bunch of creatures who look the same, do everything the same, and well, I think you get the gist. :P Er zijn meerdere prentenboeken met eenzelfde thema waarvan één ook de kleur oranje als hoofdkleur heeft, maar deze Hugo is door het minimalistisch gebruik van kleur en teken, de fijne vertaling, de duidelijke (voorlees)letter, tot aan de schutbladen toe, een absolute aanrader in het onderwerp geloven in jezelf met durf en zelfvertrouwen.

Curriculum

The Hueys are all the same. Imagine what life would be like if everyone was exactly the same. How would this make you feel? Thought #8: This is like when you see a group of kids at the mall who have bright blue mohawks and wear it that way because they want to be different but there are, like, 7 of them that look exactly the same as they try to be different. Try anwering Mrs Plummer's inference questions in the To Print section. A grown up could ask the questions - you do not have to print them. Challenge your friends to do exactly the same task as you (e.g. draw a picture of a dog, write a story about an elephant). Are your pictures / stories exactly the same? Why not?

Draw a map showing the world in which the Hueys live. What might their houses / streets / towns look like?All of the Hueys looked alike. They also all acted and dressed alike. Until, that is, the day that Rupert knitted a bright new orange sweater and made himself stand out. Some of the other Hueys weren't sure that they approved - didn't Rupert know that they were all supposed to be the same?!? - but his friend Gillespie decided he too wanted a sweater. So began a trend, with all the Hueys jumping on the bandwagon. Soon Rupert had to find a new way to stand out... Watch / listen to this narration of part of the book. Could you record your own, using expression / music / sound effects? Look at the picture of the speaker in the illustrations. Can you try to draw sketches of 3D shapes?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment