276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Touch of Jen

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Screenwriting Graduate's comedy show 'Extraordinary' greenlit for Disney+". University of Manchester. May 18, 2021 . Retrieved December 26, 2022. I knew she would intrigue you,” Shu Lien says to Li Mu Bai, with a tinge of jealousy, as they discuss Jen. But when I rewatched the film in high school, the ending felt out of place to me, almost jarring. Here was a mainstream, critical and commercial success whose conclusion, if taken literally, was the protagonist’s suicide. I’d heard many people sing the film’s praises, highlighting its beautiful love story, breathtaking cinematography, and ensemble performances. But never had I heard it described as tragic. Even more puzzling to me was the simple question of why. Why had Jen, upon ridding herself of her familial obligations and overbearing master(s), chosen not to return to the desert with her lover, nor continue her training at Wudan, nor even wander the landscape as a lone warrior like she did after fleeing her wedding, but instead hurl herself off a cliff?

Jennifer Aniston stuns fans with topless beach photo | HELLO! Jennifer Aniston stuns fans with topless beach photo | HELLO!

Echebiri, Makuochi (December 15, 2022). " 'Extraordinary' Trailer Shows an Ordinary Woman in a World Full of Superpowers". Collider . Retrieved 2023-07-23. Another complication in Jen’s relationship with Lo is Li Mu Bai. Despite Li Mu Bai’s clear feelings for Shu Lien, the budding master-apprentice relationship between him and Jen is fraught with emotion, and at times is even romantic. Shu Lien: Fighters have rules too: friendship, trust, integrity. Without rules, we wouldn’t survive for long. The name of the film is taken from a Chinese idiom which describes a place or situation full of unnoticed masters. In one of the film’s most poignant scenes, Shu Lien observes Jen, the governor’s daughter, practicing calligraphy. From the deftness of her brushstrokes, Shu Lien concludes that Jen is more than she appears, that in fact she is the masked warrior from the night before. It is a moment rife with meaning and sadness.But Jen’s choices are poisoned by the larger society. To return to her family would be to forfeit her say in who she loved. To return to the desert would be to resign herself to a life on the run, possessed by Lo. To return to her training at Wudan would be to subject herself to the school’s legacy of exploitation. And to return to the countryside as a roaming warrior would be to escape only temporarily, with her family and her past never far behind. In the deserts of western China, far away from the rigid society in Beijing, Jen discovers her first taste of true freedom. She finds in the bandit Lo someone with as fiery and untamed a spirit as her own. At first, their love is passionate, punctuated by violence and attempts to physically dominate one another. But soon it blossoms into a warm and intimate connection. For a time, the two live happily together in their desert fantasy.

A Touch of Jen by Beth Morgan | Hachette UK

And he said, look, in that side of the entertainment industry, a character is about to be born and that character is you, but it's not you. That character is, you know, angry, that character has got a problem, that character is, you know, sweet. As an eight year old, watching Zhang Ziyi’s character jump off a cliff and into the clouds seemed a little silly to me, but no more so than the rest of the film, with its floating fight scenes that felt more out of The Matrix than Qing dynasty China. McHugh, Marian (July 5, 2023). "Dave, Yeti and Channel 4 win big at Broadcast Digital Awards". Broadcast . Retrieved 2023-07-23. Not only has Jennifer - who previously shared another beautiful beach image of herself which can be seen here - been busy working, but she's also had some exciting personal news too. The actress is set to become a great aunt.Draper, Joe (January 25, 202). "Extraordinary – how to watch Derry Girls star's new show". Digital Spy . Retrieved 2023-07-23. So palpable is their romantic tension that when Li Mu Bai later discovers Jen in a drug-induced state, she bares her breasts to him, asking, “Is it me or the sword you want?” The warrior Complementing the sword is Jen’s comb, the other prominent physical object in the story. Whereas the Green Destiny is the physical embodiment of Jen’s warrior identity, the comb is the embodiment of her identity as a lover. As the sword repeatedly changes hands between her and Li Mu Bai, so too does the comb, between her and Lo, reflecting the ebb and flow of each identity within her. Hibbs, James (November 1, 2022). "Disney Plus releases first look at UK superhero comedy Extraordinary". Radio Times . Retrieved December 26, 2022. An ambitious debut which captures the loneliness of the internet age in deft strokes in spite of a slightly confusing end.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment