276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Double Life: ‘Gripping’ - Erin Kelly

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And so at some point between 1997 when I quote that paragraph in my book, and 2004, when the book was published, Dylan had a complete re-think and decided that history is bunk. I’m guessing what happened is he started work on Masked and Anonymous. But of course it’s legitimate to do it in Masked and Anonymous because it’s a work of fiction. But to take that and run with it in what’s supposed to be a memoir, it’s clearly a conscious decisions. And it’s one he made after he started conceptualizing Chronicles. I don’t understand why he did it. Sure, Dylan's story (especially once he's dropped the Prince of Protest act in 1964) is engaging enough in its own right to carry the book through to the end; I think Dylan began, perfected, and surpassed every strand of 1960s Anglo-American popular culture by about 1967, and this biography's chapters on the confrontational and drug-addled 1966 electric tour in particular really capture how he'd made The Velvet Underground possible. That material was revelatory since it was a missing period. There had been no documentation about that material. Audio excavations were already starting to happen. They were going through the tapes. And I had some roles to play in some of the Bootleg Series, especially the Basement Tapes one since they ended up using some of my tapes. [ Laughs] The original weren’t at hand.

A Double Life by Charlotte Philby | Waterstones

A man cannot live a lie and not be detected in it. He may sometimes live for years with a cloak about him, enveloping the dark side of his nature, but sooner or later the mask will be torn away, and the true man revealed. There are those who live double lives, who, like the characters in [Robert Louis] Stevenson's famous English novel [ Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1886)], have the extremes of good and evil in their natures; but, for the sake of human kind in general, let us be thankful they are few and far between. It does mean that much of this book could be enjoyed in isolation and for the most part I was actually really enjoying it. Natalie, a child in the Quinn family, had a difficult life. Her mother constantly taunted and bullied her, while her sister tried to take everything she had, including her boyfriend. However, the most pressing issue was the medical expenses of her foster mother Hannah, the only person who had shown Natalie kindness throughout her life and had raised her since childhood. Chronicles has all this stuff about the American Civil War and Roman and Greek authors. This was a reflection of his mindset when he wrote the book. They are things that fascinate him now, or certainly fascinated him in 2000, not things that fascinated him in 1962.Gabriela has a senior role with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in counter terrorism. She is dedicated and has worked long hours to get where she is today. Yeah. There’s a blues thing that Dylan goes into in the middle of the “Mixed-Up Confusion” session. And there’s an instrumental in the “The Times They Are a-Changin'” session, but Dylan gives it a title. It’s a proper instrumental, not a jam. Because they weren’t logged on the studio logs, they were missed. A better person would for­give him. A different sort of better person would have found him years ago.” Gabriela had experienced unexpected internal challenges in the workplace, following her return to work from maternity leave. She felt that her position had been side-lined and that all her hard work had suddenly been over-looked. Gabriela always wanted recognition and success but this drive was to impact her life in ways she could never have imagined. The threads start to break and Gabriela’s world suddenly becomes unexpectedly complex and quite terrifying. I enjoyed this in a squirmy sort of way because Claire is so off-the-rails OBSESSED.....but I also completely understood why and could empathize. The ending was not my fave, but overall, I found this to be a pretty decent light thriller. Not up to “Under the Harrow,” but a good sophomore effort.

double life - Wiktionary, the free dictionary double life - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

One of my all-time favorites was the 2000 shows he did in England. He did two shows at the Portsmouth Guildhall. That is a small place. It holds just over 1,000 people. It was famous for having the best acoustics. They actually tested the first-ever stereo recording that was ever done for radio at Portsmouth Guildhall because it was the best place. And so the sound is fantastic, it’s tiny, and Dylan did two nights there in September of 2000. And two or three versions are on that Japanese Bob live album, including the best version of “Things Have Changed.” Claire is a London physician living under an assumed identity. Time and again she finds herself disappointed when police tell her that their new search to find her missing father has not yielded any results. Twenty six years ago, while Claire and her brother were asleep upstairs in their London home, her father brutally murdered Claire’s nanny and then attempted to murder her mother. He fled the scene and was never apprehended. But Claire is determined to find her father and then discover the truth about what really happened that night. Your first time there, were you overwhelmed? There’s so many things to go through that I imagine you didn’t know where to start.In her last great novel, Daniel Deronda, Gwendolen Harleth is assaulted and humiliated sexually by Grandcourt. On her wedding night, awaiting Grandcourt’s arrival in the bedroom, she sees herself repeated ad infinitum in glass panels, becoming part of, as Carlisle puts it, “a long procession of virgin brides who have gone before and will follow after across the marital threshold”.

A Double Life by Charlotte Philby | Goodreads

Claire is a very successful doctor now and contends with her brother's drug dep Just what the world needs, another Bob Dylan biography. How many are there already? 17? 18? But this one has a pretty good excuse for existing. The author is far and away the most reseachingest, most obsessive-fan-accurate Dylan biographer there ever was. Clinton Heylin has already written ten books on Dylan including a giant biography from 2011 which this now replaces. In the last ten years mountains of Dylan archives have been made available and Mr Heylin has mountaineered the whole lot, so this is the Last Word. Until the next Last Word. Another great thing about your book is that you have access to the raw session tapes, including banter between Dylan and his musicians and Dylan and his producers. That stuff wasn’t even released on the Bootleg Series albums. Dylan is certainly the most talented English-language lyricist and writer that came out of this era (and any era since). His only close contenders are Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell, but Dylan's output is *so* prolific, and covers *so* much stylistic ground, that I think he deserves the crown here.Karolina Pavlova, born Karolina Jaenisch in 1807, was a Russian poet and translator and presided over a famous Moscow literary salon. She died in Dresden in 1893, having abandoned Russia not because of tsarist oppression but because of hostile criticism of her poetry and her personal life. A Double Life is her major work. A Double Life tells the parallel stories of two women, Isobel, a journalist, and Gabriela, who works for the Foreign Office. It started off promisingly but then unravelled rapidly. Heylin tells the story of the pop world coming to grips with Dylan. Dylan had a difficult and tense relationship with the Beatles. He famously humiliated Donovan, who was called the English Dylan. Phil Ochs was a well known folksinger and songwriter. In their earlier days, he and Dylan were rivals. Ochs was a master of the protest song. Heylin tells the story of Ochs criticizing Dylan for his electric sound and Dylan delivering a crushing response; "Phil, you're not a songwriter, you're a journalist." But he’s not without self-awareness: as he says – twice in a book which would have benefitted from a more shark-eyed editor – “when people meet me, they think they’re meeting the lyrics”.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment