276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Mother: A wickedly honest parenting tale for every kind of family

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

His mother is married to a lazy louse, his stepfather, Glen. And Michael has behavioral issues. And a terrible secret. After we get that far, I don’t know who from whom, what’s going on, who’s the villain, who’s innocent, who’s insane, and who’s perfectly healthy. We have about five different twists, and frankly, I wasn’t happy with the eventual explanation. The primary twist was okay, but predictable if you had put any thought into the book. The other twists were obvious at the beginning and seemed to disappear completely and then resurface at the end, after you think they couldn’t possibly have led to anything. The book is full of red herrings, but only 25% are actually i

The Other Mother by Michel Bussi | Waterstones

Somewhere inside her, Coraline could feel a huge sob welling up. And then she stopped it, before it came out. She took a deep breath and let it go." On the surface, The Other Mother is a story about a young man finding out about an entire half of his family he knew nothing about. How it came to be that way, how he finds out, and the aftermath. But it's also about so much more than that: what defines family relationships, the lies people tell in an attempt to make things better for everyone else, the sacrifices we make either for our careers or for our families. There was just something about this character that drew me in right away. To say I was emotionally invested in Michael is spot on. The story takes place over a short period of time and it's not an action filled plot. But there is so much substance and heart that it isn't some simple story, it truly was a worthwhile read. Michael Parsons is a relatable, though not unlikable person. He knows he has problems. He speaks to a counselor on the regular.There were some fantastic twists. Every time I thought I knew what was going on, it turned out I was wrong. What is revealed causes a tectonic shift in his life as his Grandfather tells him that Jenry’s father was never really part of the equation and what he should be asking about is his father’s sister, Juliet. A woman who was Jenry’s other mother. So to recap: Lesbian couple, donor brother, and a whole lotta family secrets that all start to bubble to the surface.

The Other Mother: A wickedly honest parenting tale for every

Coraline essays are academic essays for citation. These papers were written primarily by students and provide critical analysis of Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It’s filled with secrets, betrayals, fears, greed, and manipulation—with twists that I never saw coming. Coraline shook her head. 'Why don't you play with me?' she asked. 'Busy,' he said. 'Working,' he added. He still hadn't turned around to look at her." Daphne (a former children librarian) is eager to get away from her controlling husband and establish a life on her own. She applies for a new job as an archivist with a famous author, Schuyler Bennett in the Catskills--under Laurel's name and credentials! She gets the job. She takes her baby and together, they help the author, (who also happens to be the daughter of the former medical director/psychiatrist of Crantham Mental Institution), organize old papers and write a memoir.

Follow us on:

Carol Goodman hooked me years ago with her debut, THE LAKE OF DEAD LANGUAGES, about a girls' boarding school and the unsavory things going on there. And then I was mesmerized by THE GHOST ORCHID and still have images from that book lodged in my mind. So when THE OTHER MOTHER (William Morrow, March 27 2018) came to my attention, I knew I had to read it.

The Other Mother by Carol Goodman | Goodreads

I really appreciated the uneasy questions this narrative raises in terms of doing right by others and yourself. If you do something terrible (whether it is taking them away from a parent, pressuring them academically, or forcing them to deny who they are) but you have convinced yourself it is the best thing for your child, can you and should you be forgiven? There are so missing and some irrelevant pieces at the story but thankfully those irrelevant ones complete the puzzle at the end.

56 Coraline Book Quotes

Coraline meets three ghost children when she is pushed into a tiny room after an argument with the Other Mother. As it turns out, The Other Mother has captured the souls of the ghost children and has left them to wander around in the parallel universe, lost. The first ghost child is a subdued young girl while the second one is a relatively bold and outspoken ghost boy. The last ghost girl is a fairy girl who seems very much like Coraline. All three of them warn Coraline of the dangers ahead and help her defeat The Other Mother in various ways. Ultimately, the souls of the ghost children are set free through Coraline’s dedicated efforts and the three children wander off into the universe. Overall, even though I was sometimes frustrated as I tried to work through this one, I wound up enjoying it. I was impressed at how things came together and enjoyed the wild ride I was on. I've loved Goodman since The Lake of Dead Languages and find myself looking forward to each new novel she releases. This one was different, but I was quite caught up in its characters and dark themes. Definitely worth a read.

Coraline - Wikipedia Coraline - Wikipedia

I'll get us both home. I said I would. I promise.' She felt the cat relax ever so slightly in her arms." CoralineMr. Bobo – A retired circus performer living in the flat above Coraline's; he is commonly referred to as the Crazy Old Man Upstairs. Over the course of the book, he claims to be training mice to perform in a mouse circus, and often brings Coraline messages from them. His Other World counterpart however, trains rats and is in fact made of rats. Comedian Jen Brister writes about her personal experience of motherhood from the time she and her partner Chloe decide to have children, through the birth of their twin sons and those early sleepless nights, up to the boys reaching four years old. She shares the highs and lows of that time, the expectations of others and also her own misguided expectations, and how what she has learned in that time has shaped her current perspective. However, some audiences and readers would argue that certain details suggest that the titular character’s true fate is left ambiguous. I would not recommend this book to women who have just had a baby and who might be having a difficult time. The mist hung like blindness around the house. She walked slowly to the stairs up to her family’s flat, and then stopped and looked around.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment