276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ashes of London (James Marwood & Cat Lovett, Book 1)

£9.45£18.90Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Recent crime fiction". The Spectator. 311 (9446): 36–37. 12 September 2009. Archived from the original on 22 September 2009 . Retrieved 20 June 2011. There were a number of times that I wanted to query a character or the author but each time it was immediately followed by Taylor's explanation or justification. A brand new historical thriller set during the time of the Great Fire of London. The first of an exciting new series of novels.

The best recent crime novels – review roundup

In this elegant, engrossing novel set during an extraordinary period, Taylor skilfully presents a London in which so many must still pay the price for the Civil War and the murder of King Charles I' Sunday Express From the No.1 bestselling author of The Ashes of London and The Fire Court comes the next book in the phenomenally successful series following James Marwood. My goodness I enjoyed The Ashes of London. It opens dramatically and continues with a fast, sometimes brutal, pace that makes the plot fly past right up to the exciting end. I was entirely entranced by Andrew Taylor’s writing. His style is accessible and yet authentic for the era with direct speech especially well attuned to convey class, social standing and gender. Australia retained the Women's Ashes despite it finishing 8-8 on points in the multi-format series.All across the USA, people are showing up dead. The deaths don't appear to be connected in any way until one particular death occurs and gets the Secretary of Defense's attention. He arranges for a task force to investigate. When he also discovers he has power over a young woman whose life is even more complicated than his own, the puzzles swimming around Marwood’s mind become even harder to solve. The Great Fire rages in London. James Marwood, the narrator, who works as an underling reporter for Joseph Williamson, who in turn is in the employ of the Earl of Arlington, is despatched to discover what the feelings on the streets are amongst the populace about the conflagration. James’s father, a printer, was a convicted Fifth Monarchist, who had been imprisoned for participating in Thomas Venner’s 1661 uprising, but is now entering senility.

Ashes of London Review The Ashes of London Review

Our Fathers’s Lies” is the third novel in the “Dougal” series and was released in the year 1985. There is some unfinished business that Dougal and his father have that they have to sort out. It has a little to do with Celia Prentisse, who is William’s ex-girlfriend. Her father, a historian, is found drowned and the whole thing is called a suicide. Celia does not buy it for a minute, because his clothes (which he abandoned) were found with a brand of gin he did not drink, and a short volume of Schopenhauer’s essays. That really is not a lot to go off of, but it is enough to send his father (and her godfather) British intelligence officer Major Ted Dougal, who is retired and William off on the case. They find an arsenic poisoning that happened in the 1930s and a court martial that is still classified from World War One. Former England goalkeeper Karen Bardsley says action is needed to keep the close connection between fans and players. England won the final one-day international in Taunton by 69 runs on Tuesday to take the 50-over series 2-1 and draw the series. As the Great Fire burns the heart of London in 1666, political manipulators and religious fundamentalists struggle behind the scenes for control of the kingdom.The Great Fire of London is raging and James Marwood, the son of a traitor, is charged with solving a series of murders. People in the 1600s did think differently to the way we generally do and Taylor puts in the different factors: fear of negative opinions of the aristocracy, distrust of those whom you don't know, a total inability to defend oneself against an employer, caution where different political or religious opinions might obtain and fear of long term dangers. You can feel the need to fear most people, most events, and anything out of the regular. Add something like this incredible fire and the destruction it caused and it would not be surprising if there were a number of strokes and other collapses during those last months of 1666. The Ashes of London weaves a pacy story from the framework of true events. A new Shardlake may rise from the ashes' The Times There were a couple of things that bothered me. The protaganists had a rather too modern outlook and view of the world, especially in their attitude to religion. Religious people were depicted as either mad or bad, with very little in between and I think this is a very over-simplistic and silly depiction, especiallly in the context of the time. I really enjoyed this book and was fascinated by the politics and history of the period. I look forward to reading the sequel.

The Last Protector by Andrew Taylor | Waterstones The Last Protector by Andrew Taylor | Waterstones

From the No.1 bestselling author of The Last Protector and The Ashes of London comes the next book in the phenomenally successful series following James Marwood and Cat Lovett during the time of King Charles II.Two young girls plot a murder by witchc... The body of a murdered man is found in the ruins of St Pauls after the Great Fire. Minor civil servant James Marwood, son of a Protestant extremist, is dragged into treacherous waters where he crosses the path of a determined, but vengeful young woman. Andrew Taylor grew up in East Anglia. He read English at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and has an MA in Library, Archive and Information Science from University College London. The punditry team will include Michael Vaughan, Sir Alastair Cook, Phil Tufnell, Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie, Ebony Rainford-Brent, Vic Marks and Hartley, with Andy Zaltzman returning as scorer.I'm pretty fussy about historical fiction: I've read too many rubbish stories where the author has become obsessed with telling me the history and forgetting to tell me a story. But this was a bit different. Andrew Taylor provides a masterclass in how to weave a well-researched history into a complex plot.' The Times, Books of the Year Any issues with the book list you are seeing? Or is there an author or series we don’t have? Let me know! The Roth Trilogy (now also available in an omnibus edition as Requiem for an Angel) was shown on ITV in March 2007. It was a three-part drama series under the title of Fallen Angel, starring Charles Dance and Emilia Fox. The series was broadcast on three consecutive nights, beginning 11 March 2007. Fans of the novel found that there is a hero that is a likable guy, interesting supporting characters, and great ending that has a twist to it. The story is simply brilliant, you will be moved along as one thing leads to another, to the very end. You will be up all night reading and reading the novel, trying to see what happens next. Some found that these books are better than the novels that Taylor is known for writing later on in his career.

The Ashes of London - Historical Novel Society

From the No.1 Sunday Times bestselling author of The Ashes of London comes the next book in the phenomenally successful series following James Marwood and Cat Lovett. The story behind The Silent Boy". Upcoming4.me. 4 September 2014. Archived from the original on 6 September 2014 . Retrieved 6 September 2014.

Browse reviews by Century

Story Behind The Scent of Death". Upcoming4.me. 18 October 2013. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013 . Retrieved 18 October 2013. From No.1 bestselling author Andrew Taylor comes the sequel to the phenomenally successful The Ashes of London

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment