276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Skin, Your Skin: Let's talk about race, racism and empowerment

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Delighted to have been showcased on Penguin Random’s House new children’s picture books, for 2021, for my new book My Skin, Your Skin. Thanks so much for your lovely message and for everything that you do with Book Wagon. Yourself and Bob are much cherished in our booky world and I personally really appreciate everything that you do. It is perfect to read at home, and in classrooms, to support your child’s life-long learning journey. What about when you're ice-skating or sledding? When you're cold, your blood vessels keep your body from losing heat by narrowing as much as possible and keeping the warm blood away from the skin's surface. You might notice tiny bumps on your skin. Most kids call these goosebumps, but the fancy name for them is the pilomotor (say: PY-lo-mo-ter) reflex. The reflex makes special tiny muscles called the erector pili (say: ee-REK-tur pee-LEE) muscles pull on your hairs so they stand up very straight. How Can I Keep My Skin Healthy? This book was specifically written by Early Years expert and children’s media creator, Laura Henry-Allain MBE, to support parents, teachers and guardians to explain what racism is, why it is wrong, and what children can do if they see it or experience it. It also explores how important it is for children to celebrate their achievements and greatness.

Thank you for using the My Skin, Your Skin educational resources.

The layer on the outside is called the epidermis (say: eh-pih-DUR-mis). The epidermis is the part of your skin you can see. This marvellous non-fiction book, aimed at soon-to-be siblings, charts the month-by-month development of an unborn baby in the womb.Warm, cheerful illustrations depict different genders, ethnicities and family set-ups, giving it broad appeal. Fully-illustrated throughout by talented illustrator Onyinye Iwu, My Skin, Your Skin is aimed at children aged four and above. This important non-fiction book explores the concept of racism for a young audience, explaining what it is and why it is always wrong. It examines what makes people unique, from skin colour to family set-up and religious beliefs, emphasising that these differences make the world a richer place and should be celebrated. My Skin, Your Skin is a powerful book to help children and adults have meaningful discussions about race and anti-racism. Most importantly, the book empowers children to be the best versions of themselves; to have self-love, self-esteem and self-worth, irrespective of their skin colour.

Poeticdebris - - You dogs an amazing job writing this lovely form... I attempted it before and it sure was fun to write... Your rhythm and flow is very smooth and comforting in its tone... Lovely My Skin Your Skin is a powerful book to help children and adults have meaningful discussions about race and anti-racism. Most importantly, the book empowers children to be the best versions of themselves; to have self -love, self-esteem and self-worth, irrespective of their skin colour. I tried to fit it into a Villanelle but it is simpler than that. Repetition within a poem can produce several effects; concentration, reflection and circularity. I'm a fan myself, and you use the to good effect.

My Skin, Your Skin | BookTrust

The dermis is home to the oil glands, too. These are also called sebaceous (say: sih-BAY-shus) glands, and they are always producing sebum (say: SEE-bum). Sebum is your skin's own natural oil. It rises to the surface of your epidermis to keep your skin lubricated and protected. It also makes your skin waterproof — as long as sebum's on the scene, your skin won't absorb water and get soggy. What Are Sweat Glands? We are reminded that ‘ racism isn’t always about calling people names‘. Rather it is ‘ also about the way that things are done to stop people who are not white from being equal’. It can also be about organisations. We’re offered guidance about what to do when we experience racism, so that we use a ‘ loud voice‘ to say that racism is not ‘all right‘ and tell an adult you trust. We’re reminded that racism can be found anywhere. However being racist is ‘ never OK’.This is the story of the incredible life of Wilma Mankiller, the first female leader of the Cherokee Nation and dedicated activist and eco-warrior. This brightly illustrated picture book is sure to be read and re-read for years to come.

My Skin, Your Skin by Laura Henry-Allain | Early Years Resources My Skin, Your Skin by Laura Henry-Allain | Early Years Resources

The next layer down is the dermis (say: DUR-mis). You can't see your dermis because it's hidden under your epidermis. The dermis contains nerve endings, blood vessels, oil glands, and sweat glands. It also contains collagen and elastin, which are tough and stretchy. B.L. Woll - Very well crafted. The tension words like "awkwardness" and "cultivate" and the feel elicited in the form and the content is very interesting. It's funny...I am not a person super-comfortable with nakedness. Not to an unusual or odd degree, but I feel like some lingering puritan natures were handed down to me, though definitely in a watered-down and tolerant of others form. I envy / wonder / a bit about that ease....it's oddly complex (?) to many of us. The book also teaches children where racism occurs and how to spot it then what to do if they encounter it. I adore how this book speaks truth and teaches such a valuable lesson that needs to be taught from a young age so children know as they grow what’s right and what’s wrong. It’s another Bookwagon day in our house. The kids were so excited to get their latest books in the post.I am delighted to have written My Skin, Your Skin, coming in autumn 2021. Illustrated by the talented Onyinye Iwu It’s aimed at children aged 4 and above, explaining what racism is, why it is wrong, what children can do if they see it or experience it. My Skin, Your Skin is an important book for parents to share with their children, to support children with their understanding building an anti-racist stance from an early age. I also explore how important it is for children to be empowered and to celebrate their achievements and greatness. This book is the first step in a lifelong journey. My Skin Your Skin is a powerful book to help children and adults have meaningful discussions about race and anti-racism. Most importantly, the book empowers children to be the best versions of themselves; to have self-love, self-esteem and self-worth, irrespective of their skin colour. Containing explanations on key words and concepts written in child-friendly, accessible language, with relatable examples, this book supports children’s understanding in building an anti-racist stance from an early age. This book was specifically written by producer, educator and consultant, Laura Henry-Allain MBE, to support parents, teachers and carers to explain what racism is, why it is wrong, and what children can do if they see it or experience it. It also explores how important it is for children to celebrate their achievements and greatness. Ah.Change00 - The style of this poem truly does evoke a sense of comfort and intimacy from the speaker to the reader. I think that the tetrameter works nicely with this poem, giving the flow and pacing needed for the the speaker to express themselves. In addition to the rhythm through the meters, the pacing is also set up by the use of commas to break the line apart. It allows the readers to slow down and really capture the moment, especially since the moment is very active in involving the readers.

My Skin, Your Skin – Laura Henry-Allain MBE

Written by Early Years expert and children's media creator, Laura Henry-Allain MBE and beautifully illustrated By Onyinye Iwu. So just in the time it took you to read this far, you've probably lost about 40,000 cells. That's almost 9 pounds (4 kilograms) of cells every year! But don't think your skin might wear out someday. Your epidermis is always making new skin cells that rise to the top to replace the old ones. Most of the cells in your epidermis (95%) work to make new skin cells. What's Melanin?My Skin, Your Skin is aimed at children aged four and above. Containing explanations on key words and concepts written in child-friendly, accessible language, with relatable examples, this book supports children's understanding in building an anti-racist stance from an early age.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment