276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Winter Solstice

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Her earliest books -- 10 in all -- were published in the late 1940s and early 1950s and credited to Jane Fraser.

Scotland came to life for me here, and I really wanted to go there at christmas time and experience Scotland at that period.But redemption is found in surprising places, and in the midst of so much loss, love and redemption emerge. Although they’re ‘woman’s books’, they paint vivid mental pictures and leave the reader wanting more.

holds fast to a theme that has all but disappeared from American fiction: The healing comforts of domesticity and companionship. The author seems to glorify adultery, divorce and sex outside marriage as long as there's an "understandable" excuse (ie: done in the name of "love"). Literary Guild and Doubleday Book Club main selection; BOMC alternate; Reader's Digest Select Edition; audio rights to Random House.Her characters find solutions to everything from how to dress a festive table when you have no tablecloths to how to outsmart an impossible relative and make everyone come away feeling a winner. Seemed a little redundant in places this time but didn't affect how much I enjoyed Elfrida's and Oscar's lovely story. I am drawn in so easily and find myself planted in Creagan, Scotland, looking up the lane at a mansion, feeling the cold wind across the sea, or crossing the square past the church to the market, and setting the kettle to boil for a cup of tea. Her children, now grown, learn that the painting is worth a lot of money, and each give their two cents about what should be done with it. In 1955, she also began writing under her married name Rosamunde Pilcher, by 1965 she her own name to all of her novels.

The cast of characters, mis-matched and thrown together, works so well that I really would enjoy a sequel but know that is not going to happen. In this much anticipated new novel by Pilcher, a master at depicting English life, the characters range from those in the twilight of their days to those just starting out. Don't read it in bits and pieces, wedged into stolen moments during lunch breaks or while waiting for your 11-year-old to finish soccer practice. Following two years at the Whale Island Royal Gunnery school, Portsmouth, she was sent to Trincomalee in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Corrydale in the book is based upon the luxury hotel to the stars – Skibo Castle, where Guy Ritchie and Madonna were married.I needed a go-to book, and I remembered that my GR friend Claude had recently read a few books by Rosamunde Pilcher, and had enjoyed them very much.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment