276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Unlike the land, where courage and the simple will to endure can often see a man through, the struggle against the sea is an act of physical combat, and there is no escape. It is a battle against a tireless enemy in which man never actually wins; the most that he can hope for is not to be defeated. The environment is expertly portrayed and transports the reader directly into the scene. I drank lots of hot tea during the reading of Endurance. The author also renders an excellent picture of the day-to-day life of these people, including how the men live, pass the time, and work to keep their spirits up when not on the seas.

The rapidity with which one can completely change one’s ideas ... and accommodate ourselves to a state of barbarism is wonderful.”

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage Mentions in Our Blog

In some ways they had come to know themselves better. In this lonely world of ice and emptiness, they had achieved at least a limited kind of contentment. They had been tested and found not wanting.” This book is assigned in schools. We should not be teaching young people that leadership is selfishness, hubris, poor planning, bad decision-making, etc. Saving your own skin in a difficult situation could be admirable resourcefulness, but it's not the best illustration of heroism. But the sea is a different sort of enemy. Unlike the land, where courage and the simple will to endure can often see a man through, the struggle against the sea is an act of physical combat, and there is no escape. It is a battle against a tireless enemy in which man never actually wins; the most that he can hope for is not to be defeated. Lccn 2014005005 Ocr tesseract 5.2.0-1-gc42a Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.7543 Ocr_module_version 0.0.18 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-0001513 Openlibrary_edition

Does the arsonist fireman deserve a medal for rescuing children from the apartment-building he set on fire? Después de una selección de personal un tanto sorprendente, a ojo, este si, este no, el Endurance partió de Plymouth con rumbo Buenos Aires cinco días después de que Gran Bretaña declarase la guerra a Alemania (primera guerra mundial) con 28 tripulantes (+ un polizón) a bordo.

Customer reviews

I learned so much in this fascinating account of a trapped ship...about the unpredictable nature of ice floes, the capriciousness of the ocean, what keeps people alive against all odds, how one finds one's way in the middle of nowhere before GPS on phones, and how human hope clings to the thinnest of threads. A story that moves from ice to ocean to land, but never far from danger or the relentless "red alert" the nervous system endures for weeks and months on end. It is no spoiler to say that this is a story of survival – that fact is known to the reader at the outset. The story is well told and conveyed by Lansing, who had access to surviving ships logs and crew diaries – he also interviewed at length surviving members of the crew of the ‘Endurance’.

Saltwater Boils (aka pips or pigeons)...a condition where grit and dirt from clothing (usually around the wrists) create small abrasions that become infected and cause severe pain if not treated. These things were mentioned as a casual, passing comment and all I could think was “they had to suffer through those for months with no medical attention and only making them worse.” [No photos of this. A little too gross] I listened to the audiobook and the narration by Simon Prebble was excellent. I delayed this review until I could borrow the 100th edition Endurance. I'm glad that I waited for the ebook, but I almost missed the photographs in the "inserts." Added poignancy came from the images of the men and the animals. The Seasonal Read...: Winter Challenge 2012-2013: Completed Tasks - DO NOT DELETE ANY POSTS IN THIS TOPIC A peculiar thing to stir a man—the sound of a factory whistle heard on a mountainside. But for them, it was the first sound from the outside world that they had heard since December 1914—seventeen unbelievable months before. In that instant, they felt an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. Though they had failed dismally even to come close to the expedition’s original objective, they knew now that somehow they had done much, much more than ever they set out to do.Toda esta información la podéis encontrar en internet con solo mover el ratón. Pero, amigos lectores, cualquier artículo que se lea sobre esta aventura palidece ante este libro que la cuenta como una novela basada en los diarios de los protagonistas. Tanto si conoces la historia como si no, vas a disfrutar de un libro épico donde los límites humanos se ponen a prueba. Removal of gangrenous appendages. Nuff said I think except for the almost preternatural courage and good humor with which the enterprise was conducted. The Antarctic climate was, of course, a challenge. The resultant icy environment sunk their ship. During the spring break-up of ice, the surface below their tents spontaneously fissured and sleeping men plunged into the frigid waters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment