276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Man at the Helm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Man at the Helm manages to take this antiquated, politically dicey formula and make it work in 1970's England with a nine-year-old narrator, her wise 11-year-old sister, and their sweet stammering little brother. Like Lizzie Bennet, Lizzie Vogel has to find a man, but not for herself. "If a lone female is left," says Lizzie's sister, "especially if divorced, without a man at the helm, all the friends and family and acquaintances run away.'" So the sisters begin a list of potential helmsmen, and on that list goes practically every man in the hostile village they've been exiled to after their father has an affair with a man named Phil and then re-marries, starting a new, cuter family. One of the helmsman's most important duties is steering a ship in a harbor or seaport when reduced speeds slow a ship's response to the rudder. For it is during ship arrivals and departures, when most ship collisions or groundings occur. [3] Clear communication, then, between the officer of the bridge and the helmsman is essential for safe operations. The officer or harbor pilot relies upon the helmsman to flawlessly execute steering commands to avoid a variety of hazards, including man-made obstacles, land formations, grounding in shallow waters, and the threat of collision with other vessels. In addition, powerful sea tides and river currents encountered in seaports heighten navigation dangers, as a ship's ability to stop is severely limited. Set in a small Leicestershire village in the 1970s, this four-part comedy drama is about the madcap schemes of three children to cheer up their recently divorced mum, Elizabeth. Struggling to cope, she has taken to drinking and compulsive playwriting - neither of which impresses villagers already deeply suspicious of an attractive divorcee. Top of their list is to find her a new man in the hope that it will appease the hostile locals. Additional details Production Studio Broadcast details First broadcast Wednesday 5th October 2016 at 11:30am on BBC Radio 4 Most recent repeats

AT THE HELM (OF SOMETHING) - Cambridge Dictionary AT THE HELM (OF SOMETHING) - Cambridge Dictionary

Lizzie, this narrator, does not come across that way. There is a reality and a feeling of being anchored in life that are so strong in her that you can't help but cheer her on. This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Nine-year-old Lizzie (our narrator) is the perfect conduit for her creator, just the right mixture of childhood innocence and incredulity for the necessary deadpan delivery of Stibbe's particular brand of comedy. Read it and be charmed ( Independent) I was planning on giving this book a solid four stars. It is funny. And clever. It has this perfect balance between darkness and humor; pain and hitting your funnybone. But then I decided I had to give it five stars because dear Lord look at all these people that have given it 2 stars or a DNF. And look at its overall rating. It certainly deserves higher than a 3.54.Divorce leaves an unreliable mother and her three concerned children adrift in an unfriendly village in this first novel from Stibbe, whose memoir ( Love, Nina, 2014) was an acclaimed comic debut. Love this one, or dislike this one, that's up to you now. It did not float my boat or ring my bell. I think I could have skipped to the end chapter and missing NOTHING in the middle.

Helmsman - Wikipedia Helmsman - Wikipedia

However technology also allows for a multitude of smaller workstations in a classroom setting. Administrators network student workstations so that the instructor can launch individual scenarios at each station. Computer models are used to accurately simulate conditions such as wind, seas, and currents. Moreover, shallow-water effects or other hydrodynamic forces, such as ships passing close to each other, can also be depicted. A computer application records training sessions, complete with voice commands issued by the instructor which are received by the students via a headset. Showrunner, head producer of a television series, who by analogy to helmsman is also referred to as the helmer and the person helming the series Is it a bug, or is it a feature? Taking the social organization of work into account in human-machine systems design," by Peter Carstensen, Morten Nielsen, and Kjeld Schmidt. Systems Analysis Department, Risø National Laboratory, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark.Love, Nina) легли впечатления тридцатилетней давности от работы в 1982-1984 няней в доме Мэри-Кей Уилмерс, главного редактора Лондонского книжного обозрения. I also have a soft spot for precocious-kid narrators, and Nina Stibbe excels at this voice, having been a wise-ass kid herself. Man is Stibbe's fictionalized account of her mother and siblings' post-divorce move to a small village where the locals routinely snub (and occasionally exploit) them.

Man At The Helm cast and crew credits - British Comedy Guide Man At The Helm cast and crew credits - British Comedy Guide

Stibbe scores many hits with this undoubtedly funny setup: her ear for off-kilter dialogue is as brilliantly tuned as it was in Love, Nina; and she is a maestro of bathos, continually undercutting vivid gaiety with moments of horrible sadness. But the novel is also problematically episodic, going from one hair-raising drama or sharp vignette to another without enough regard for the importance of pacing and tempo. Her conversational tone both muddies our sense of who the narrator is – a child, or an adult recollecting childhood? – and gives the impression of a writer uncertain of how to get to the next thing.

at the helm

I love it's observations of relationships. Whether it's the big vs little sister dynamic, or the brutal disappointment of love gone wrong, Stibble does a great job of writing honestly and with a lot of humor. I struggled with Lizzie 's mom and her status as helpless victim -- but there's a payoff that probably wouldn't have worked any other way. Lizzie's mother tried to break the news to her three children that mummy and daddy have decided to split up and get a divorce.

Man at the Helm: A Novel by Nina Stibbe, Paperback | Barnes Man at the Helm: A Novel by Nina Stibbe, Paperback | Barnes

The book is told purely from Lizzie's perspective, I found this got very boring after a while. The characters have no opportunity to shine either, I found them all very flat and one dimensional. This book should have been amazing, but it just wasn't. Nina Stibbe was born in Leicester. She is the author of the hugely acclaimed Love, Nina. She now lives in Cornwall with her partner and two children. Man at the Helm is her first novel. If you liked 'Love, Nina' (and if you didn't, stop reading my review, we're clearly not going to get on), you will love this too. This book doesn't fit into a category easily. I found it to be very funny, but I felt uneasy and anxious pretty much the whole time I was reading it. The young narrator is compelling and the whole family is believable but odd. And endearing. Somehow they either laugh or accept with a shrug every crazy thing that happens to them, so I tried to, but I just kept feeling like things could spiral out of control at any moment. The kids articulate this feeling in their worry that they'll get sent away to a home because their mother isn't doing a good job of taking care of them. So I guess I took on their anxiety, and it was combined with my own outrage at the mother's inability to parent, but then I also took on their desire to take care of her. An odd set of feelings, but I guess that means that the writing took me on that journey. And again, moment to moment, a lot of it is very funny (albeit with a British sensibility, and there were times I thought I might not be getting some of the humor as it was referring to things I didn't know about).The proliferation of autopilot systems and the increased computerization of operations on a ship's bridge lessen the need for helmsmen standing watch in open waters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment