276°
Posted 20 hours ago

King Of Shadows

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

John Jeffries Martin, Myths of Renaissance Katharine (Hampshire, England: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The relationship between Oberon and his servant Robin Goodfellow or Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, written about the time of Hamnet’s death, perhaps represents Shakespeare’s fond feelings for his young son, endearments such as “My gentle Puck, come hither” intendeded to prefigure some of Prospero’s dialogues with the spirit Ariel in The Tempest. But this is no mere historical fantasy, a picaresque narrative told for its own sake: at its heart it’s about a parentless young boy who, though brought up by his Aunt Jen, crucially misses the relationship he never had with a father. Amid the bustle and excitement of an Elizabethan theatrical production, Nat finds the warm, nurturing father figure missing from his life -- in none other than William Shakespeare himself. Character is an attribute that requires comprehension if drama is to be in any way coherent, but such understanding arises out of simulations which are dependent upon culturally specific categories.

King of Shadows: Early Modern Characters and Actors - Springer King of Shadows: Early Modern Characters and Actors - Springer

Which new readers can do, since each book can be read on its own merits and this particular voyage across the Mediterranean Sea is like a side-quest to the main plot. Jay instinctively jumps off the ruin with the support of his gliders while his fellow comrades follow suit. McCammon's publishers didn’t like him moving away from horror, I would have to say that there is plenty of horror and many horrific scenes in the Matthew Corbett books.

His activities have put Matthew on the black lists of several crime lords from the underworld of New York and London at the start of the 18th century. Matthew Corbett stays inquisitive as ever, always on the lookout for mysteries to be solved even if it means getting in people’s way. The playwright’s own son, Hamnet, had died in 1596, seemingly at around the same age as our fictional Nathan Field. I may have said this before, but it's difficult to choose a favorite installment of the Matthew Corbett series because each book differs from the last and carries a beauty in its own right.

King of Shadows - Wikipedia

Because the Queen just had the popular Earl of Essex executed, the political climate is tense and her safety is in danger. Robert Weimann, “The Actor-Character in ‘Secretly Open’ Action: Doubly Encoded Personation on Shakespeare’s Stage” Shakespeare and Character: Theory, History, Performance, and Theatrical Persons, eds Paul Yachnin and Jessica Slights (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009), 177–196, esp.

There are a few more twists and turns in the story which would be remiss of me to reveal, but hero-worship of a father figure and hopes that such fondness is reciprocated are at its core. On holiday in Cornwall, Simon, Jane and Barney discover an ancient map in the attic of the Grey House, where they are staying with their much-loved but mysterious Great Uncle Merry. McCammon has the ability to bring a time and place alive, and I've learned many things about Colonial America and England at the same time as I read. And if things couldn't get any worse, the presence of the sinister Cardinal Black and ruthless Maccabeus DeKay increase the tension way past breaking point. Chances like this don't come around very often and I was frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog with the excitement of being able to read the latest book In this amazing series on release day.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment