276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars From 4Chan And Tumblr To Trump And The Alt-Right

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

that the author believes political horseshoe theory, that military combat veterans are the only people who can truly lay claim to PTSD, that The Young Turks are a great leftist news site, and that MRAs seek egalitarianism; the conflation of feminism and the sexual revolution; and a whole bunch of other things I could list-- yes somehow putting that all aside, I just have to say: Andrea Nagle, learn to citation. It's abundantly not clear where Nagle gets her information, because she didn't conduct any interviews.

At least since the disclosure book "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff about the conditions in the White House in this country waves high , we know how chaotic and haphazard the current president of the superpower USA leads his government. Indeed, Nagle argues that the Alt-Right has co-opted liberalism’s transgressive rhetoric and aesthetic. These obscure online political beginnings became formative for a whole generation, and impacted mainstream sensibilities and even language.

The feminist side of the online culture wars has its equally geeky subcultures right through to its mainstream expression. Nagle, who locates herelf in the left spectrum, prophesies: "If the left wants to move forward, it is time to put away the aesthetic values ​​of this counterculture - and to invent something new".

What makes Kill All Normies such an insightful book is the author’s insistence on the culpability of the left in creating the vacuum in which the Alt-Right expanded. The particular incarnations of the online left and right that exist today are undoubtedly a product of this strange period of ultra puritanism. People assume this book will be about the history of the alt-right, they don’t want thinkpiece-style writing about how much you like a certain video game and what you think about adults playing video games.The world is overdue for a serious and nuanced investigation of online subcultures, ideally one with at least a tiny bit of affection for the potentials of the "digital public". I don't care if things are in perfect Chicago style, but I do care about being able to trace the transit of words and ideas across people, spaces, and contexts, and Nagle's loose and highly referential style makes it near impossible.

In a manner that mirrors the data colonisation of the social by new media companies, every difference must be celebrated, problematised and deconstructed. Somehow, the contents of the magazine can’t be representative of their ideas, just their founders identities! While taboo and anti-moral ideologies festered in the dark corners of the anonymous Internet, the de-anonymized social media platforms, where most young people now develop their political ideas for the first time, became a panopticon, in which people lived in fear of observation from the eagle eye of an offended organizer of public mass shaming. I found the depiction of the right-wing online spaces enthralling, even though I was already quite familiar with a lot of these movements, perhaps with the exception of the Red Pill and incel communities.

Nagle’s caution that the left’s stagnant ideas, pedantry, and infighting have made it the weaker party of the two should surely lead those who want change to reflect on their methods. The claim to truth of such politics is purely affective, as challenging political statements from a left-ethical position may elicit the refrain its not my job to do the emotional labor of explaining this to you.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment