276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Gladiator (Eagles of the Empire 9) (Roman Legion 9)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Things don't go to plan as an Earthquake and tidle wave hits Crete just as their ship is floating past it. With many of the people in charge killed and a full on slave revolt, it's up to Macro and Cato to save the day again. Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was so good! I loved the unique storyline and the setting, in ancient Rome. The story had great descriptions and atmosphere. There was the horror and tension of the Christian slaves being murdered in the arena. Caros, trying to understand Pelonia’s devotion to Christ. The building trust and love between Pelonia and Caros. I also liked the secondary characters, some who have their own stories in other books in this series, which I look forward to reading. Think like Britain's greatest living Olympian: Ten steps to push your limits and achieve the impossible from the one of the world's greatest swimmers Spartacus, now styling himself Imperator, negotiates a truce with the ruling council of Thurium; the threat of his army coerces the councilors to grant the rebels all of their demands. They commence the building of the "Sun City", a new settlement where everyone is equal in rank, all goods are shared, and all work for the common good. Spartacus enforces new laws with harsh discipline. Fulvius, a former lawyer, commences to write a chronicle of the rebellion (which is never completed), and becomes the main political advisor to Spartacus.

This is actually one of the better books in the series so far as there's relatively little of the trudging rehashing, turgid gnashing of teeth or spell of repetition that made the previous books so frustrating.I personally, wouldn't have minded having an x-rated copy of this book. Maybe Harlequin has something similar in one of their more "adult" lines. Gladiator + slave = yes please. Slaves during these times were often used for more than just cleaning *ahem*. The only thing that would ruin it is that I wasn't a big fan of Caros. He is supposedly pretty hot, but his personality ruined it for me. He was sort of soft to me. Maybe because I did want to see a more rough and dominating male as the love interest. But then, I had to remind myself, "settle down this is a Christian romance..." What comes as an unexpected and pleasant addition is that we have an enemy who we had left behind long ago, emerge. One that gives us plausible cause to believe he is not only present at the recovering Crete, but his actions will and do impact the story.

Vita and the Gladiator is a fast-paced, gripping historical adventure that will appeal to fans of Caroline Lawrence’s Roman Mysteries series. Feeley, Gregory (March 2005). "When World-views Collide: Philip Wylie in the Twenty-first Century". Science Fiction Studies. 32 (95). ISSN 0091-7729 . Retrieved 2006-12-06. In Roman Britain in the year 125 CE, 14-year-old Vita longs to be a writer, secretly sneaking out of her house to watch plays and poetry readings in Londinium’s Forum. Her parents try to support her ambition, providing scrolls for her writing and praising her poetry. However, Vita is the daughter of a famous army commander, widely considered a hero for his role in suppressing the ‘barbarians’ currently mustering in the North. Imminent marriage to one of her father’s generals is therefore Vita’s only realistic future. The very culmination of this is not at the end, but rather early. It is the moment that Maximus removes his helmet, reveals his identity and faces the emperor, after a long and ferocious battle. It is a scene so poignant that I always wish it would have been saved until later on in the film, thereby giving it even more weight. But no matter, because rest assured that it is goosebumps-inducing enough.I did enjoy this book, however I found it a bit boring at times. I really can't pinpoint what it was that was boring, but I'd find my mind wandering while reading it. That might say more about my own attention span rather than the actual story. Ancient Rome is not a point in history that particularly intrigues me, but I've only read a few books set during this time period and culture, so it was a unique setting to me personally. The closest I've probably read to this setting is Theodora: Actress, Emperess, Whore. At times while reading The Gladiator I was also reminded of the Starz show Spartacus. I felt the author really did a great job at portraying the grittiness of that empire and how twisted the lifestyles and dirty the society was, while still keeping the book clean and within Christian standards. One of my fave films of all times, one i have watched countless times. Near the beginning in the forests was filmed near my relatives too and I've been. Simply breathtaking scope and settings and the music hits your soul. This was a beautiful book. I have long been wishing to read a Christian romance that delivered such a rich story as this. I loved how the love story was full, and it was as much about the love between Pelonia and Caros, as it was also Pelonia’s love for Christ, and how she was able to come into Caros’ life and to help him to heal and to come to know Christ. Ms. Capshaw did such a great job of showing this without it being preachy. The message of God’s love and how it gave Pelonia strength and how it could heal Caros’ deep emotional wounds was rich. The narrative never came off as pedantic or filled with spiritual public service announcements. It truly was about people of faith living their lives. There weren’t any easy answers. Pelonia had a struggle sometimes to act true to her faith, putting her faith in God to help her and to be her strength, which is the experience of all Christians. She didn’t realize that her actions showed the truth of her message. Caros saw how her faith was her foundation, how it gave her peace, and he came to want to know her God, who had made her such a beautiful, peace-filled person.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment