276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Growing Up in Salford, 1919-28

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She said: “I always felt like there was something inside me, I felt as though there was a thread connecting me and my dad.” Jean said: “He just came out with it one day and that was basically it, he wouldn’t really talk about it much, and I got more information off my mum that he wasn’t allowed to see his daughter. So one day, she decided to post on a Facebook group called “We grew up in Salford” asking if anybody knew of her father. There’s this status from this lady and she started saying these things like her maiden name being Harris, like mine, where she lived, that her dad was a bus driver.

So much so that Jean gifted Joan their father’s driving gloves which she wears to feel close to him. I knew he was there for my birth so I knew he would have held me and I think that connection always remained." Joan says there was a missed opportunity when she was growing up to meet her dad which she has regretted ever since. The pair have been making up for all those years missed connecting the dots and introducing kids and grandkids to each other. The 77-year-old mum-of-two who now lives in Berkshire, says she always wanted to know more about her dad but was unable to because of her ‘controlling’ mum who sadly passed away in 2014.Joan said: “I have a friend who also lived in Salford and told me about the group, I found it and I thought I should post something in there but I didn’t.

The pair had grown up a couple of streets away from each other in Salford, but neither knew the other existed. On a family holiday, her father had mentioned he had been married before and had a daughter who was ten years older than her. I just became aware at the age of 19 that this woman existed, normally I’d be really happy to find out I had a sister, but there was something about this story that I knew I couldn’t go looking into.I started working at 15, and I would take the number one from Langworthy Road to Pendleton Church and then the bus to Manchester. Over the years I’d think about her, and they weren’t always friendly thoughts because I’d ask myself why she hasn’t tried to find us.” A woman who grew up thinking she was an only child has discovered she has a half-sister - who had lived just 15 miles away from her.

She said: “I always felt a connection to my dad, he and my mother split up when I was very young, but I always felt that he loved me. Joan eventually got married and moved out of Salford to set up her life down south with a husband and two children in her mid twenties. But, the post from Joan Constantine, spoke of her father, Jim Harris, who Joan only knew had driven tanks during WW2 and had gone on to become a bus driver in Salford. I had to read it several times, and the best thing about it for me was that she said she was so sad that she didn’t know my dad.But Jean said that was all his father or mother Annie ever said about the situation, and she was hesitant to ask more, after realising it was a contentious topic. Joan said: “Jean has been so generous. She’s let me into the family and given me things that belonged to my dad.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment