276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lily: A Tale of Revenge from the Sunday Times bestselling author

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Under the tutelage of people like Nurse Maud, they soon understand the difference between right and wrong. The young children inevitably formed bonds with their foster families and became accustomed to rural or provincial life, which was very different to the squalor of the capital, making the transition back difficult. There is a sort of redemption, albeit tinged with the fact that certain actions cannot be forgotten, or their effects shrugged off, however apparently justifiable. We have published a new cookies policy, which you should read to find out more about the cookies we use.

When Sam came to see her to say he needed to talk to her, she assumed that it was about the murder, and she confessed it all to him before he could ask any questions. Post navigation ← BLOG TOUR – Caring Conservationists Who Are Changing Our Planet by Kate Peridot BLOG TOUR – Eagle of Mercia by M. Although this is a harsh tale, there are some snippets of humour usually when Belle is around, she’s just wonderful. I visited the museum out of curiosity soon after arriving in London and have since been fascinated not only by its mission to take London’s then-numerous abandoned children off the streets, but also by its achievement in attracting celebrity patrons of its day such as George Frederic Handel and William Hogarth. Then it ends with her thinking if the police come after her (Sam Trench the person she loves being the head detective if they arrive) then she would drop herself in a dark well.They are told they possess an innate wickedness, ‘a blood-wickedness which could lead then into deep thickets of sin and transgression’.

She is author of Ted Hughes: The Poetic Quest (UNE 1994, and currently available for free download here). I gave this book two stars because, as I am sure my review shows, this book wasn’t what I thought it would be and I was very disappointed. Restoration also inspired an Oscar-winning 1995 film adaptation, starring Robert Downey Jr and Ian McKellen.As Lily makes contact with the policeman who saved her and his equally charitable wife, Tremain explores the notion of the need the guilty have to confess. She dreams of Sam Trent, who seems to be watching over her, and he also seems to have special feelings for her. The book is descriptively written and the characters felt true to the era and the storyline is captivating on so many levels. And such places sometimes attract the wrong sort – sadists, paedophiles and the like – to work there. Rose Tremain never lets her readers down as the quality of the writing is so vivid that images spring off pages in full technicolour so we hear the sounds, see the sights, wince and gasp at some of the horrifying experiences at Coram.

Victorian London is rendered with rich nuance and grim precision in Lily (in the opening pages, even wild animals are intrigued by the “complicated stink” of the metropolis). I’ll be looking up Stacey Halls’s novel The Foundling to see what inspiration she takes from it, and checking out the current exhibition at the Museum which follows a Foundling child’s journey from abandonment to fighting in the battle of Trafalgar. Surrounded by the beautiful landscape of rural Suffolk, and with a family and animals that she loved, Lily was really happy. Abandoned at the gates of a London park one winter's night in 1850, baby Lily Mortimer is saved by a young police constable and taken to the London Foundling Hospital. To become a subscriber to Slightly Foxed: The Real Reader’s Quarterly Magazine, please visit our subscriptions page.

As a reader I didn’t need most of this, some of the chapters about Bridget her friend and her fate, and the abuse she suffered were relevant especially because it shows the reader why the murder happened. It's not an easy read, and much of the subject matter leaves the reader with an uneasy, sullied feeling, as if the very dirt clogging the Victorian gutters has crept under the skin. The contemporary reason is fury at a society that still allows children to be hurt; not a week goes by without some hideous organisation being revealed as abusive.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment