276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Scent Keeper, The

£10.495£20.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bauermeister’s writing is stunning and lyrical. The alluring descriptions reminded me of Where the Crawdads Sing simply because of how descriptive they are, and fans of that book will surely be able to settle into this story. Rašymo stilius saldus. Viskas tobula - jokių iššūkių ar gyvenimo negandų nepajutau, nes jos buvo taip nusaldintos ir mielai aprašytos, jog nesukėlė visiškai jokios emocijos ar užuojautos. Nupasakoti kvapai nežavėjo. Arba jau buvau nusivylusi tiek, kad jokių teigiamų dalykų ir nebemačiau. The Scent Keeper is told through Emmeline’s perspective. Imagine if it had been told through the varying perspectives of the major characters—Emmeline, Fisher, John, and Victoria. How would that change the book? Both John and Victoria have a wall of scents. What do you think they mean to each of the characters? Emmeline lives in a cabin on a remote island with her father. It's a marvelous existence for a young girl—she has an entire island to herself to explore, and she and her father live off the land, enjoying all that nature has to offer. He teaches her how to use her senses more than anything else.

Once upon a time, Emmeline…” he began, and his voice rolled around the rhyme of it as if the words were made of chocolate. This book would have been a 5 star read for me since I adored the first and second parts but unfortunately, the story lost momentum in the third part (it was so different from the other two and a bit slower-paced). Civet," Claudia said, unfazed. "It takes a strong stomach to smell an animalic base note straight, don't you think? But a drop or two, down there in the bottom of a perfume? It sends that other message. Death and sex- that's what perfume's all about. You'll understand when you're older."Emmaline's life was ever so different. Her dad educated her always with the idea that our nose is a wonderful vehicle into your past and present. She adored him and when fate intervened into what some might have called their idyllic life, (for who in these days would not wish to dwell on a deserted island), Emmaline must grasp onto a future that holds many secrets, surprises, and the chance of love. She is blessed with not only a deep abiding respect for scent, but also the innate ability to puzzle out what she smells in the many blended scents she eventually becomes exposed to. Finally, he agreed. He took out a leather book filled with numbers and carefully added one to the list. Then he turned to the wall of drawers, pondering his choice. The use of SCENT to move the story along is unique and something to which we can all make connections. Scent is a compelling part of the entire story: scent is an important part of Emmeline’s childhood, and then she eventually finds work in the perfume industry. I found the discussion and descriptions of scent fascinating and it reminds me of a book from a few years ago, The Perfume Collector. Erica Bauermeister is the author of the bestselling novel The School of Essential Ingredients, Joy for Beginners, and The Lost Art of Mixing. She is also the co-author of the non-fiction works, 500 Great Books by Women: A Reader’s Guide and Let’s Hear It For the Girls: 375 Great Books for Readers 2-14. She has a PhD in literature from the University of Washington, and has taught there and at Antioch University. She is a founding member of the Seattle7Writers and currently lives in Port Townsend, Washington. Erica Bauermeister, the national bestselling author of The School of Essential Ingredients , presents a moving and evocative coming-of-age novel about childhood stories, families lost and found, and how a fragrance conjures memories capable of shaping the course of our lives.

For lovers of Chocolat , The Scent Keeper evokes emotion and magic through the senses.” –Jennie Shortridge, author of Eating Heaven

Erica Bauermeister

The story starts off on a secluded island in the Pacific Northwest where we meet Emmeline, a young girl who has always lived alone with her scientist father. Her father collects and studies scents that he preserves in small glass bottles and they both are completely isolated from the outside world (Emmeline believes that supplies are brought to them by mermaids). Emmeline finds out a bit of truth and becomes angry and makes a choice that will change her life forever. That choice forces her into the outside world where she is raised by a lovely couple in a small coastal town outside of Vancouver. The story follows Emmeline’s transition and her growth as she comes to terms with understanding and embracing who she is. The last of the paper crumbled to ash. I stood there, trying to remember what had happened next- but I couldn't. Did my father show me the machine, or did we go outside and chop wood? If I had to choose the thing I loved most about this book, I would have to say the writing, which was absolutely lyrical and immersive – this was a story gorgeously written and beautifully told and yes, some parts did take my breath away. It was also an emotional read for me – Emmeline’s journey of self-discovery was heart-wrenching at times but also heartfelt and hopeful. I know that Emmeline is a character I will remember for a long time to come. In the book, The Scent Keeper, we learn the importance of scent in the life of Emmaline. She had been taken away to a deserted island by her father, hidden away from the sights and smells of the congested world and allowed to grow with his love and his desire to imprint on her and others, the scents that he had tried to capture in his scent machine.

Erica Bauermeister, the national bestselling author of The School of Essential Ingredients, presents a moving and evocative coming-of-age novel about childhood stories, families lost and found, and how a fragrance conjures memories capable of shaping the course of our lives. The descriptions are lyrical - a little mystical and poetic - perhaps not to everyone’s taste… but I was in the right mood for the enchanting storytelling. One day Emmeline must leave the island and all the she knows to begin a new life full new and interesting challenges. One thing she brings with her is her very own strong ability to recognize scents and how they tell her a story. As she grows and matures, she begins her own quest fueled by her need for the need for truth, scents and to learn more about herself.Magical realism is not a genre I typically gravitate toward but I’m so glad I took a chance on this one. I absolutely loved it. If, like me, you didn’t care for Where the Crawdads Sing, don’t be dissuaded by the comparisons. I found the two books to be completely different. From a narrative perspective, this book reminds me a lot of the far-superior Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal. Both books deal with a five senses prodigy, one with taste and one with smell, but Kitchens offers a greater range of side characters and unique dilemmas that build around the main plot. The Scent Keeper, however, resorts to cookie cutter B-story romance and a more tired examination of family bonds. At one point, Emmeline comes to understand her father has been revealing his past through stories. What do you think he’d been trying to tell her?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment