276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker, Red Hot

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At least it will provide those irritating fools that harp on about how “money doesn’t bring you happiness” with another example of how right they always are. Update: June 2021 Here's another product review from Matt Powell, junior at Columbia University in the City of New York and GHRI intern: I stopped then because I realized that the Shaker probably wouldn’t mimic the fine-ish grind I prefer. When Jamie Oliver started off, he was a breath of fresh air. Here was someone clearly passionate about food who was inclusive rather than pretentious or arrogant. He loved cooking food and wanted you to love it too.

The recipe below is based on using a large (2.4 litre, 10 cup) Bundt pan as I love the appearance of the finished cake. Bundt pans are available from good kitchen shops and online.You had to admire him. It was filmed of course. But he was putting his money where his mouth was and it wasn’t easy. How will the “flavour shaker” fail? Who knows, the grip will come off, the plastic connection will fail – most obviously – people will simply lose the “magic ball”. Cardamom cake would feature in most Swedes’ top 10 classic fika treats. It can be baked in a round or an oblong tin or, as in this version adapted from Mat Magasinet (The Food Magazine), in a Bundt pan. What a load of shit. This has been created by a team of 15 creatives working incessantly for eight months at horribly inflated wages who spent more time “designing” the marketing approach as they did creating the actual product. I imagine getting Jamie “on board” was somewhat of a coup.

He certainly put in alot of effort and for that he is to be admired. But at the same time he started doing more and more commercials that I would argue were dubious in his position of a chef. And he involved his family and his personal life more and more, and it started to feel a bit wrong. It’s made of four parts: a two-piece plastic case, a ceramic ball and a rubber gasket. You use it as you would a Boston shaker – seal the spices, herbs and whatnots into the contraption, and you shake so the ball bruises and crushes its contents.

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes on a moderate speed using an electric beater. If you prefer you can use a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin or a 20 cm (8”) cake tin, in which case halve the quantities below and bake for about 45 minutes. Tony Diggs says: “The concept is good. The delivery not so much. Mine broke after very few uses. The threads crossed and that was it. This was several years ago. Maybe they’ve fixed it.” [They haven’t Tony]

I poured in about ten whole cloves and shook the canister for two minutes. It was fun, and my arms got a good work-out. (Although I bet the people in the other Good Housekeeping Research Institute Kardemummakaka is normally served plain with a good cup of coffee, but occasionally it is accompanied by a little whipped cream and some fresh fruit. John Duxbury SummaryI washed it by hand in hot and soapy water. After it dried I gave it a sniff. It smelled like curry. I washed it again, this time soaking in soapy water for a while. After it dried I gave it a sniff. It smelled like curry. I filled it with acidulated water, let it sit for a couple of hours and then washed it. After it dried I gave it a sniff. It smelled like curry. If you've got one, I recommend using a Jamie Oliver "flavour shaker" for grinding cardamom as the seeds have an annoying habit of jumping out of a mortar. (It's about the only time I bother using a flavour shaker!)

I shook it for about 15 seconds before adding cardamom seeds and whole cloves. As Jamie would say, I gave it a good bash for 30 seconds, and produced a course grind: discernable bits of spices, not anywhere close to the powdery and slightly gritty texture I was accustomed to with my trusty mortar and pestle. I closed it up again and shook it for another 30 seconds: medium coarseness: mostly homogenous, but there were still chunky bits. I closed it up again and bashed it for another 30 seconds: I still considered it a medium grind, just with more powder. Suddenly it starts looking like all the really good stuff he has done is more to do with him relieving his conscience, rather than, as he has claimed, the real reason behind his commercial efforts. But note that this one was not Jamie’s idea. It had been beautifully constructed by a professional production team to act as a vehicle for him. He also didn’t make the same mistake, as with 15, of putting his own money into it.This isn’t the first time that Jamie Oliver has stretched beyond making the most of his selling potental and slipped into unethical profiteering. But it is the most blatant and it makes you wonder whether he is suffering ethical slip – gradually having his morals and principles dragged down. Applecheeks7592 gives it one star and says: “WASTE OF MONEY!!! I tried several times to use this gadget, all to no avail…..I finally threw it out the other day…..” A couple of months ago Catherine, Food TV Canada’s resident blogger , found herself with quite the dilemma: her workstation was overrun with Jamie Oliver Flavour Shakers in need of homes. Whomever received one had to try it out and blog about it. Always one for toys – especially kitchen toys – I dropped her a note and the gadget appeared last month. It’s taken a while for me to complete toy testing as my sore wrist kept me from unscrewing the tool.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment