276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I am an Aspie Girl: A book for young girls with autism spectrum conditions

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The first seven chapters of this book were very well researched and build on things I had already read in very reputable texts like those of Temple Grandin's. I was very excited about this book because it was telling more of the story that I was already following. One final negative point: this book relies on a lot of pseudoscience, most particularly the last chapter about gastrointestinal problems. Anecdotes and studies/surveys without a control ARE NOT SCIENCE AND DO NOT PROVE ANYTHING. The author gives a list of 'gastrointestinal problems' (list includes migraines) and says that 9/10 aspergirls have these problems. HOWEVER, the list is so broad (includes very common problems such as heartburn) that I'm sure if you gave this survey to a representative sample of NTs you would get 9/10 people having at least one of these problems.

AspiGurl

Nontheless, all of this is interesting because the author let her autism somewhat guide the writting: she learn, respect and applies society's rules to blend in -the gender role/heteronormative/cisnormative part- (for autistics, it's either that or a complete rejection of these) she guilt trip us like neurotypical would (we often internalize that we are not enough if we don't push ourselves more than non autistics) and for the pseudo-science part, I think she either has a special interest for this kind of new age things, or she is a bit gullible -not in a negative way- (I feel autistics are more likely to show this trait than others, I know I do). I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone if they haven't read any other literature about girls and women with asperger. Even if you do have knowledge about asperger syndrome, I am not sure i would recommend it, but at least you would be more likely to see what is relevant and what appears to be merely her own opinion.The constant use of 'we'. I get it, maybe it was a author's choice to 'include' the reader this way. But it also made me feel that she thinks every woman/girl with autism experiences everything the same way like its written down in this book. I do need the Schedule but not expectations, I just make my own expectations up like some normal people do.

AspieGirls - Reddit

Even in social behaviours I can’t do that. I kinda am like a pessimist in the Internet, I just think from what I learned like above. I SUSPECTED Asperger’s as long ago as 2000, but it wasn’t until 2011 that I noticed a memory problem at work and t a neurologist pinned down my problem; the good news, she said, was that it wasn’t Alzheimer’s – it was High Functioning Autism. I’m starting to come to the conclusion that I may have Aspergers. I took the AQ, EQ, and Ritvo (RAADS-R). I’m going to omit the numbers but the AQ was within the range. The EQ and RAADS-R were well past the range of the average person with Aspergers. Here are some of the traits I observed that lead me to suspect Aspergers: Give me the most elaborate and shortest answer you can cause I might just insert a “tl;dr” on it that I seriously don’t want to do but it’s a habit.

Services

In this episode, Harold Reitman, M.D. speaks with psychologist and award-winning author Tania Marshall. Tania comes all the way from Australia, and discusses her AspienGirl book series (which includes “Aspiengirl: Not Your Average Superhero” and “I am AspienWoman: The Unique Characteristics, Traits, and Gifts of Adult Females on the Autism Spectrum”), the challenges neurodiverse females face in getting proper diagnoses, and the unique abilities of women on the autism spectrum. With age, too, comes the ability to indulge in or refrain from the inveterate and sometimes involuntarily issued puns and non-sequiturs an Aspie might inflict on coworkers and acquaintances. I do it on purpose, now. Girl: “What’s wrong with you? Haven’t you ever loved someone for years, then watched them walk away and then rip out your heart? Why can’t you show any emotion?” She does state that psychic sensitivity [in Autistic folks?] hasn't been proven by science yet, but most of the language / phrasing she uses is matter-of-fact. no.9: The scenero at hand is pretty much how my classmates react to me. I have been called an “emotionless robot” before.

Autistic Artist Illustrates Her Daily Reality In 50 Comics Autistic Artist Illustrates Her Daily Reality In 50 Comics

Guy: “Sure. Just like the alphabet and kindergarten are no big deal. Without kindergarten, we wouldn’t be able to have this conversation!” Girl: “What’s wrong with you? Romeo and Juliet both gave up their lives because they were in love. They made the ultimate sacrifice for each other!” TM: Be your own super hero. That’s the Aspiens model right? Be your own super hero not someone else.

Tania’s mission 

Furthermore, one of the guiding theories behind autism is Theory of Mind deficit. Yes, it’s not the only theory, but it is one of the big three (WCC and systemizing vs. empathetic brain being the other two. no.2: I have such a hard time displaying emotion at the appropriate times and everybody is always asking why I’m so emotionless or if I’m “okay”. The last thing annoys me the most because usually there is nothing to be specifically happy about at that moment and maybe that’s okay.

Ashbie Moon / Aspie Girl / Aspie Chan | Know Your Meme

Meanwhile in the real world there are adults that absolutely adore Disney, sleep with plushies because they might have fallen in love with how cute it was, got it from a dear partner/friend. Many adults play games, hell look at things like pokemon! Adults collect things from their favorite shows/books, cosplay at cons. I could go on for a long time. I can tell you that I dreamt of 9/11 hours before it happened and also had a vision of the 2004 tsunami when I was in Thailand, ten months before it occurred. I'm sure you won't believe that, but you might agree that cats and other animals can sense earthquakes, even though that too is not proven by science. Just because science can't prove it—yet—doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And he hates kid like ALOT. So he tend to use the random Karate Moves that he does to me to the kids.

no.5: I have some interests in which I have made it my mission to become very knowledgeble in. This usually just scares others so I keep it to myself. professionals delving into the topic, as it offers an entertaining and inspiring introduction into the practicalities of Asperger Syndrome in females. Note here that Aspergirls is by no means a scientific monography, and should not be read as such--nonetheless its experience-based, practical approach can offer very useful insights to mental healthcare practitioners wishing to assist women with Asperger syndrome. Another major problem for me, is how she lets the reader think that most Aspergirls have a major passion, are highly intelligent, and love technology. She doesn't literally say that EVERYONE is like this, but she jokes around about it a lot in a way that makes you think that really 90% of Aspergirls are like this. Guy: “I didn’t feel anything. All I learned from Romeo and Juliet is that it’s important to develop technology.” Also apparantly people with autism might have it because they ALL have gut problems? And you should use dietary supplements and eat non-processed foods and when possible no animal products, also sugar is bad guys. Ok then....I'm al for eating less sugar and staying healthy. But I also know that often non-processed stuff or so called healthier brands of food are also WAY more expensive. And the book mentions that women with ASS have a high chance of dealing with poverty so....there you go. I found it to be completely understandable if people opt to go for the less healthy BUT cheaper brands of food, especially if they live with other people.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment