276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

He illustrated a special edition of the book many years before, and in here are some of those images as well. I really struggle to imagine a middle earth beyond the images that Allan lee has produced. I can see that he tried to adhere as much as possible to Tolkien’s descriptions, and I think because of this Allan Lee’s work is so brilliant. Most of the images are annotated with descriptions that are insightful to the creative process behind them, and Allan Lee constantly re-asserts the point that without the sheer depth to Tolkien’s narrative, his images would have been nowhere near as vivid. I really would not like to see a middle earth that strays from Tolkien’s words, and with Allan Lee we don’t have to. The Two Towers · The Return of the King · The Third Age · Tactics · Conquest · Aragorn's Quest · Lego The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring ( The Complete Recordings) · The Two Towers ( The Complete Recordings) · The Return of the King ( The Complete Recordings) · " May It Be" · " Gollum's Song" · " Into the West"

The book thoroughly covers every significant location in the story of The Lord of the Rings: the Shire, Bree, Rivendell, Moria, Rohan, Ithilien, Mordor, Mithlond, and others. Alongside his illustrations, Lee writes about his work on the films, his relationship with Tolkien's world, and his artistic process and philosophy in general. Much of the book's commentary on the films parallels the information given in Gary Russell's series covering the art direction of the trilogy. A fascinating look at Alan Lee's LOTR artwork, and contributions to the film set. My copies of the books have Lee's artwork on the covers, so he's always helped my imagination along in the world of Middle-earth. The text isn't overly detailed, but I did learn a bit about the process of building the sets and miniatures that brought the series to life. Most of the images are pencil sketches, while a few are finished watercolors. Lee has a remarkable knowledge of the lore from which Tolkien drew for Middle-earth, which makes his vivid imaginations of that world all the more wonderful.This book also has text which I actually found to be truly fascinating and at some times even emotional because it was such a big part of everyone, cast, crew, artists, designers, producers etc. lives whilst they were involved in the films and stepping away from it at last and recounting it in this book you do get the vibe that nothing will ever be quite as magical an experience. Aprite il libro e scorreranno sotto i vostri occhi ammirati un intero modo magico: gli Hobbit, Moria, Lothlorien, Rohan, la Foresta di Fangorn, i Nazgul, Il Fosso di Helm, Gandalf, Minas Tirith, Galadriel, e ancora personaggi, statue, edifici, scenari mozzafiato. Author Alan Lee was born in England in 1947. Inspired by Tolkien's work to pursue his chosen path as an artist of the mythic and fantastic, he has illustrated a wide range of books including Faeries, The Mabinogion, Castles, Merlin Dreams, the centenary edition of The Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit. He is a winner of the Carnegie Medal for his illustrated edition of The Illiad. I love how much attention to detail, care, hard work and love went into the movie project. I love the dedication and brutal will to make it happen. I love the memory of that time. Lee ha impugnato una matita e, più semplicemente, ha dato sostanza ... del sogno alla Terra di Mezzo di Tolkien.

The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook is a book by Tolkien artist Alan Lee featuring numerous of his art portraying J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. It was the first of Lee's own publications of his Middle-earth illustrations. The Fellowship of the Ring ( extended edition)· The Two Towers ( extended edition) · The Return of the King ( extended edition)

I have to say that the artwork in this book is phenomenal and it really made me want to watch and re-watch the films for all of the Lord of the Rings just to see his ideas come to life. It's a fantastically polished version of what I imagine starts off as a much messier planning process, but for that reason it's beautiful and exciting and some of the images are definitely relatable to the films. I think the sheer splendor of Alan Lee’s stunning and immaculately detailed sketches speak for themselves; fans of the film trilogy can surely see how big an influence the artist’s concept art work had in shaping the final visual representation of the characters, creatures and locations. Tolkien's work has inspired him ever since he read his books at an early age. Alan Lee is also inspired by nature, myth, legends and Folklore. Edit: Also, this is the first freaking book of the year and I'm already crying. WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF?! Alan Lee draws a lot of inspiration from nature around in which he lives - he lives and works on the edge of Dartmoor, in Devon, England.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment