276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry: The hilarious and heartfelt YA romcom

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

My smile widens. It grows and grows, like a plant that you water every day, like a scar that heals from patience, like the time you take to make sure you feel okay. So big and so bright.” Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Sex, Romance & Nudity in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close There were also many side characters, good and bad, that contributed to Quinn’s growth. We had some flat out racist characters and some characters who were not so obviously racist but made some questionable decisions. Some other friends, are actually really good to her, but are they who they seem? How is Quinn going to realize who her real friends are and will she be able to stand up for herself and call out terrible behavior when she notices them? Read to find out. When her best friend, Malachai, discovers her plan, he begs her to spend the remainder of spring break with him, so he can show her all the reasons she should stay in Texas. But their plans are interrupted when Nikki’s little sister, Vae, goes missing. Nikki is forced to work alongside her difficult mother, while navigating her budding romantic feelings for Malachai, as they all set off in search of Vae. Big thank you to Harper Teen & Harper Audio for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***

EXCUSE ME WHILE I UGLY CRY | Kirkus Reviews

I really appreciated the openness of the conversations in this book and how much character development our protagonist had gone through by the end. There were really important conversations around identity, class, racism and internalised racism that were so genuine and really helped the reader connect and understand the characters better. It was really well done, and I think a lot of people are going to read this and see themselves in it. Quinn was such a great main character. She’s afraid to admit what she really wants and to show who she really is, at first, but as the story goes on, she grows so much, gains confidence and I loved rooting for her SO much. The subject of race and racism is handled particularly well in the story. It is never preachy but betrayed very realistically. Gave me a lot to think about.

You know that feeling you get when something amazing is happening like if you try to keep it up for one more second you might spontaneously combust and destroy everything?” Excuse me while I gush about how much I love this book. Also, the covers for this book are absolutely gorgeous. Talking about book covers has apparently become my thing now.

Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry – HarperCollins

Quinn keeps lists of everything—from the days she’s ugly cried, to “Things That I Would Never Admit Out Loud,” to all the boys she’d like to kiss. Her lists keep her sane. By writing her fears on paper, she never has to face them in real life. That is, until her journal goes missing…

There's a conversation about a woman who had one partner who cheated on her and another who beat her. I love when family dynamics are included. I’m glad that, despite the fights, it added to the story. Lovely review. Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Language in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close Quinn’s relationship with her parents wasn’t very good in the beginning but you could tell that they were trying to work together and heal, especially when her grandma was involved. Because I realized today that that’s what I did to you. I forced you to get naked before you were ready. And I’m disgusted at myself for doing that to you.”

Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry - Reading Middle Grade Review | Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry - Reading Middle Grade

Listen to me, li’l girl.” She raises my chin to look in her eyes. “Home is not a place. Home is in here.” She pats her hand over her heart. She says, “Don’t you fear, I’m right here.”

This whole book felt so relatable and I’m obsessed. The plot managed to be simultaneously fast paced and engaging, while still maintaining depth and feeling well developed. It was a really fun read and I think the formatting was done perfectly, it wasn’t too journal heavy, but the lists still played a significant role, and they were perfectly executed. I also liked the little hint of mystery in here, I genuinely couldn’t actually predict what was coming next which made it all the more enjoyable for me. Underage teens intentionally get drunk at a party and have hangovers. Teens discuss adults rumored to be using meth. This book likes to explain things in lists and wow, I loved every single time Goffrey did this. In fact, I was tempted to write this review as a list and start with “Reasons why I love this book,” but I am too unorganized with my thoughts to do that.

Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joya Goffney, Paperback Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry by Joya Goffney, Paperback

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Audio for the digital review copy. As a note, this audio was a synthetic voice and was actually quite good! After the first few minutes, for the most part, I forgot that I was listening to a synthetic voice altogether and was wholly impressed with the quality and would definitely recommend this digital review copy to those who are interested. This book felt like a warm hug. I honestly don’t have a single bad thing to say about it. I literally couldn’t put it down and managed to read it in just two sittings – I was that obsessed. This just exceeded all of my expectations and then some. A beautiful reminder of why I love YA contemporary so much.Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry still manages to leave a nice, important place to family relationships. Everything isn’t all sunshine and rainbows in Quinn’s family, between her parents’ fights and her grandmother dealing with Alzheimer. I really appreciated the inclusion of these family dynamics in the story and liked how they shaped Quinn and the plot itself, just as well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment