276°
Posted 20 hours ago

King of Thorns: Book 2 (The Broken Empire)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Have some mixed thoughts on this one. King of Thorn depicts a survival/ horror like story where several people put under cryogenic sleep due to being infected by a virus awaken to discover the institution they are at is covered in spiked thorns and swarming with violent monsters. On the plotting end, the series is effective for the most part in slowly building up its mystery surrounding what exactly is going on when Kasumi and the others awaken at the institution. Hints are scattered throughout the movie concerning what happened with some characters having hidden motives for their actions, some good and others are not Some wonderful and fitting music in the later half of the anime, which contributes to the atmosphere. Really good movie, but surely would had much more pontential, in a form of a 13 episodes long series. He is married and has four children. [3] Lawrence is the primary carer of his disabled child Celyn, and for this reason he does not travel to promote his books or attend conventions. He works as a novelist and was a research scientist in the field of artificial intelligence. [4] He has held secret level clearance with both US and UK governments. [5]

Otherwise, the hand drawn artstyle was somewhat generic, but definitely not something that negatively impacted the experience. In terms of prose, Mark’s prose is beautiful and philosophical but at the same time it could be quite tedious to read when there’s way too much unnecessary explanation. Sometimes, it felt like reading a philosophical essay during Jorg’s endless inner monologue. However, there’s no denying the fact that there are a lot of high quality philosophical prose such as:King of Thorn Manga Gets Film Adaptation in 2010 (Updated)". Anime News Network. 12 June 2009 . Retrieved 13 June 2009. King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is one of the greatest masterpieces of grimdark fantasy, a towering literary achievement that takes us into the darkened mind and heart of Jorg Ancrath as he comes to terms with several of the most tragic events of his young life. In this second volume of the Broken Empire trilogy, Jorg has matured compared to the impulsive, rage-driven youth of Prince of Thorns. In King of Thorns, Jorg’s unbridled anger is balanced by an unshakeable sorrow, a deep sadness which only grows throughout the novel.

The story was about a set of people who were bewildered by what they saw around them after waking up in a supposed long sleep. They didn’t had enough time to think because they had to stay alive from the mysterious monsters that a positive. With that said, I'm going to keep this review spoiler free, so that's about as far as my review of the story itself goes--I decided on a 9 for this section, just because the very beginning starts off a bit too slow for me, despite it being the general establishing opening. King of Thorn is a science fiction survivor drama. [2] For its most part, the story is viewed through the eyes of one of the protagonists, a Japanese girl named Kasumi. She is introduced as one of only 160 people in the whole world who were chosen as candidates to experiment a cure against the deadly Medusa virus, a mortal disease which was running rampant in the world. Such an event is not met with joy by Kasumi, who is forced to enter treatment and cold sleep without her twin sister Shizuku, whom she cares much about.

Contribute to This Page

that they keep unraveling mysteries as time goes on, the revealing of these mysteries are done perfectly and they mix these well with the action sequences so that your not sitting around listening to someone explain everything and boring you to death. The only real problem with the story is that near the end it becomes incredibly confusing and you have no idea what is real and what is not. It pains me to say this, but virtually nothing about this book fits with what I want out of a fantasy book Cropley, Matthew (23 November 2017). "The Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off and the Evolution of Publishing". Grimdark Magazine . Retrieved 13 June 2018. To make matters even worse the book is split into two time frames, one four years earlier that narrated past events and one in the present. Yay. So basically it was more of the same. This book seems to be very popular amongst fantasy fans and, I must admit, Lawrence did identify (whether purposeful or indirectly) a major gap within the market. His anti-hero is exceedingly dark, but is that really a good thing? Food for thought.

Fortunately, Jorg’s dark humor is also in peak form throughout the novel. There are plenty of clever Easter eggs and witticisms throughout the book, including references to Star Trek, American Pie, and various aspects of our modern technology. The technological understanding of our age is long gone. The people of the Broken Empire refer to us as Builders based on our impressive but now-decayed architecture left behind. I'm convinced that the Tall Castle of Ancrath is simply the remains of an old Parisian skyscraper. You can cut seven shades from a man. Scarlet arterial blood, purple from the veins, bile like fresh-cut grass, browns from the gut, but it all dries to somewhere between rust and tar." It begins with a mass media coverage of a virus called Medusa causing people to turn to stone in a mere 12 days, easily setting in a sense of dread for just about everyone in the world. While others will die eventually, a select group of people will be put into a cryogenic sleep at a castle like structure with the hope of a world cured of Medusa. Unfortunately they wake up prematurely to a new nightmare. However, 48 hours later, some of those put in hibernation abruptly woke up, only to find the facility where they were supposed to be treated in a total state of decay, invaded by a lush jungles of trees and especially strange vines covered in thorns, which appear to have something of a mind on their own. Not only that, but the survivors soon discover that the entire ruin is filled with strange, dinosaur-like creatures and other monstrous aberrations of nature. Thinking that a great amount of time passed since their arrival on the island, soon the survivors discover not only that their sleep was indeed too short to label such dramatic changes as natural occurrence, but also that the situation in and of itself is far greater than they could imagine. In the below review, I had many criticisms about the story, specifically how Jorg seemingly produced "super-powers" out of thin air to save himself. While that is exactly how I felt after closing King, Emperor of Thorns satisfactorily explained those aspects of the story, so when reading this review, please understand many of my criticisms were later made moot by Mr. Lawrence.While there isn't anything extraordinarily spectacular about the cast, I really appreciated its diversity. At first glance, one might point the seven mains out as archetypes, but as the story progresses we learn that they REALLY aren't. The development is done well, even if it turns pretty entropic towards the end, and I wasn't left feeling like any of the character were familiar cookie cutters I'd seen before. All that having been said, working with seven characters does mean that certain ones were given, if not more screen time in this case, more attention. And THAT having been said, this extra attention was done somewhat subtly and I'd say was rather acceptable given the survivability of each character in the end (lol sorry I'm not trying to sound all weirdly sophisticated, I'm just trying my hardest not to spoil those major plot points). In 2021 Lawrence was nominated and shortlisted for the Nobel Peace Prize as a contributor to a North Carolina committee on justice reform. [8] Reception [ edit ]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment