276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Clap When You Land

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On page one she opens describing the mud of a rainy season in DR, but also the way culture and place leaves marks and tracks. I also loved seeing unravel how the two girls finally learned of each other, and what they thought of each other before interacting, and how they grew to respect and love each other once they met. Adding on to that, I am aware Acevedo is a poet, therefore if she continues writing her future works in poetry, I wouldn't complain nor be surprised. Just send a semi-regular round up of reviews, things we find interesting, and Shannon’s beauty recommendations. So, I stand corrected, I love me some Poetry and these two authors have inspired me to go and find out more about a genre it would seem I held a prejudice against.

To Camino, Papi is a "A king who built an empire so I'd have a throne to inherit", and she lives for the summer months when he comes home to them. At the same time, across the Atlantic, Yahaira Rios learns that her hero Papi has died in a plane crash. Finding out about this secret that you were not aware of isn't something lightly to take, and Yaya's anger and frustration is shown in every page.From the multi-award-winning author of The Poet X and With the Fire on High comes Elizabeth Acevedo's exceptional dual-voiced novel about loss, love and sisterhood across the sea, a story partly sparked by the fatal crash of a flight from NYC to Santo Domingo in 2001. This is so poignant, lyrical, heartfelt, well-conceived, true to life, sublime, extremely emotional novel about two sisters’ bounding story who never knew each other till an unexpected accident shatters their lives and takes their father away from them.

Additionally, she was honored with the 2019 Pure Belpré Author Award for celebrating, affirming, and portraying Latinx culture and experience. Overall, another stunning entry from Acevedo, hands down one of the best authors writing currently, and deserving of every bit of praise she receives. This was my first contact with any of Acevedo's books, I knew all of them, but it was also my first experience with a book in verse. We learn that only through her father's life (and job) in the US were they able to have iron locks on their doors, running water in their home, and a working bathroom .

I don't know why that didn't hit me as hard during my listen of the audiobook, but during my reread, it was blatantly obvious that Clap When You Land is, amongst other things, a brilliant commentary on privilege, and one we don't see very often, as it doesn't hinge on the question of race, but rather on the place where you were born and live. great exploration of heritage and family and different life experiences, and the first book i've read set in the dominican republic. And Camino getting the opportunity to live in the US with her sister didn't feel flat or constructed (as it did when first listened to the audiobook).

ELIZABETH ACEVEDO is a New York Times bestselling author of The Poet X, With the Fire on High, and Clap When You Land.

And Acevedo invites us into Camino's thoughts and innermost wishes: to move to the US to attend medical school. I found it especially hard to distinguish the two in the beginning and had to look for other markers to remember whose chapters we were on. Deaths and tragic losses result in constant sorries and I'm sorry for your loss', but Yaya and Camino are tired of having to see these people go from strangers to people that suddenly know their pain, and it's frustrating how much people can change. Candle lights are lit up in the areas, the girls are seen with sad and weary looks, and the anger the builds in them is painfully real.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment