276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Swiss Family Robinson (Bath Treasury of Children's Classics) (Bath Classics)

£6£12.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But I do love the original animated Disney adaptation. There’s a certain quality to the book that’s captured within that film, which I haven’t found recreated in any other retelling or use of the setting or adaptation. Right from the beginning and from the first assertion of Alice, we understand that her thoughts encapsulate hard truth that make us smile for their hindsight. Alice is a little bit bored child that decides to follow a strange rabbit to its rabbit hole. However, the hole is pretty weird, there are a lot of cups, and pictures, and shelves...

A very, VERY strange book; full of crazy surprises, most of them pleasant ones. Insane adventures, rational beheadings and lovely tea parties. Ironically, not my cup of tea. Literary nonsense is not really my thing. This was my first encounter with the genre and sadly not an experience I hold dear, I realize now I need sense in my readings. Still, even though I did not enjoy it that much this is one timeless classic I’m glad to be able to finally scratch off my list. It's all so illogical and confusing. Alice (and everyone else in this novel) constantly contradicts themselves and each other. The whole thing is utter nonsense! Though, there are a few good puns: No wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise. Ah well. I will try it again some day just to see if I was being a grump on the day I read it and I plan to read this to my future-kids to see if their youth will allow them to interpret this more positively. After all, if Ronan Lynch from [Book: The Raven Boys] loves it then I will force myself too. filled with whimsy, imagination, and the bittersweet nostalgia of dreams and childhood, i never tire of this - and i get something new from it with every read. at one chapter a day, this and its sequel (THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS AND WHAT ALICE FOUND THERE), which i see as a continuation of the first more than a separate book, can be read in 24 days! Volatility is a first rule of the Wonderland… Everything is prone to change unexpectedly an unpredictably…The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as with children. It is considered to be one of the best examples of the literary nonsense genre. also: "Alice did not much like keeping so close to her: first, because the Duchess was very ugly." vibes. In spite of being written for children – originally, a young girl named Alice – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland influenced the entire grownup literature. How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another.”

Un libro muy, MUY extraño; lleno de alocadas sorpresas, la gran mayoría agradables. Aventuras insanas, decapitaciones racionales y adorables reuniones de té. Irónicamente, no fue mi taza de té. La Literarura Sinsentido no es en absoluto lo mío. Este fue mi primer encuentro con el género y lamentablemente no una experiencia que atesore, me doy cuenta ahora que necesito sentido en mis lecturas. Aun así, aunque no lo disfruté mucho este es un clásico atemporal que me alegra finalmente poder tachar de mi lista. These things interested the adult reader in me, but Alice is really for children of all ages. Thanks to the animated movie, I knew the characters and I felt like I was being reunited with old friends. I especially felt this during the Mad Tea Party, which I think must rank among the most brilliant comic scenes in English literature. However, Alice proves that books for children need not be dumbed down or sentimentalized. There are some dark undercurrents to the excellent humor (The Queen is obsessed with beheading, to use just the most famous example). And the beautiful concluding paragraph is a startling, Shakespearean meditation on childhood, age, and eventual womanhood. I admit that was a wonderful surprise. And then of course there's the drug use of the caterpillar and Carroll's suggested pedophiliac obsession with young girls. But people who approach Alice as psychedelic literature or a creepy Lolita story, I think, miss the point. However, these questions do add to the depth of the reading experience.Reading this book for the first time as an adult leaves me bewildered, vaguely amused and mostly lost. I'm now worrying whether I'm too old for children's stories anymore (I briefly reread some of my faves - HP, Winnie the Pooh and Charlotte's Web - and have concluded it's not me, just that book). however, this book is not long, and it's not intimidating, and personally i will be reading this AND the sequel at a chapter-ish a day. well, it's actually day 14, so i might as well mess around and finish this book already. i wanted to relish it but my dumb suddenly-illiterate brain refuses to allow me to! Note on the audiobook: This time around, I listened to the audiobook, to switch things up. Scarlett Johansson read it. I loved her funny accents and hated her overly-acted narration. A mixed bag.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment