276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Open the Cage, Murphy!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I found myself laughing out loud at some of the colourful antics Paul got up to in his days as lily savage and felt his pain as he lost friends to the AIDS virus. This is such a great read, Paul is excellent when describing things makes you feel as though you are there with him. He says he was only going to do one book, but by the time he had checked the word count on the first, he had only got to Paul at 17. For all the uproarious, seedy glamour of Open the Cage, Murphy – the title refers to what is best described as a battle cry, delivered to his long-time manager and partner whenever something big was about to happen – it is simultaneously haunted by death and loss.

Open the Cage, Murphy: Further Savage Adventures by Paul O

The dramatis personae include a family of dolphins, Charlton Heston and the ghost of Joan of Arc - and there’s a starring role for a certain remarkable dog, Buster Elvis Savage.I once met Paul fleetingly on the set of his show where we were, of all things, painting road markings on the studio floor, nearly asphixiating everyone in the process. The dramatis personae include a family of dolphins, Charlton Heston and the ghost of Joan of Arc - and there's a starring role for a certain remarkable dog, Buster Elvis Savage. Paul, of course, went on to further success presenting his chat shows on Channel 4 and ITV, For the Love of Dogs and Animal Orphans on ITV, and his weekly show on BBC Radio 2, inter alia.

Open the Cage, Murphy! - Penguin Books UK Open the Cage, Murphy! - Penguin Books UK

And what detail it is: the 60-year-old presenter of a teatime chatshow and a weekly programme about rescue dogs has some wild stories to tell. Loved this book, was so interesting finding out what happened to Paul and his friends that I felt like i had gotten to know through out the previous installments. She’d come in in the morning, in the dressing gown with her mug and a piece of toast balanced on top: ‘Do you want a cup of tea, Paul? At the end of the author s previous volume of autobiography, Still Standing, his brilliant comic creation Lily Savage stood on the brink of fame. Paul is involved in a plane crash, gets caught up in the LA riots and has a close encounter with Madonna.From Britain's most beloved TV star, Open the Cage, Murphy is an action-packed roller-coaster ride through a decade of Paul O'Grady's life, stuffed full to the gunwales with hilarious stories, extreme situations and outrageous one-liners.

Open the Cage, Murphy!: Hilarious tales of the rise of Lily Open the Cage, Murphy!: Hilarious tales of the rise of Lily

The book takes us on a roller coaster ride through a decade of Paul O’Grady’s life and is stuffed to the gunwales with hilarious stories, extreme situations and outrageous one-liners. The time he swallowed a lump of hash he had found in his pocket at Bangkok customs, so as not to get caught with it. Reading the next stage in the collection does not disappoint , was a bit surprise that I had finished the book as it ends quite quick, but on that note look forward to the next instalment .He takes us with him to a gay-themed weekend in Butlin’s in Skegness, on a rowdy tour with Prisoner Cell Block H – the Musical and into the depths of the Australian rainforest, where he befriends a rare bird that can disembowel a man with a single kick. For me this one was the most enjoyable as its around this time that Lily Savage caught my attention, I can remember watching Lily on the Big Breakfast and of course Blankety Blank. easy to read, flows along nicely and i would especially recommend these books for locals or in the case of this book love hearing paul name drop lots of rich and famous old top celebs.

Open the Cage, Murphy! - Penguin Books UK

I hope one day he does an autobiography of Lily Savage, but not sure who's life would be more outrageous Lily's or Paul’s.When I had the first heart attack, Murphy walked down Old Compton Street and he said every nightclub bouncer, every hooker, every homeless person, said, ‘How’s Savage? The TV host has had a rotten year, with friends such as Cilla Black and Jackie Collins ‘going down like ninepins’. After decades on the London pub drag circuit, his Lily Savage character finally broke through in Edinburgh, which landed him a handful of TV jobs, including a year-long stint on 90s morning show The Big Breakfast. Despite the farmhouse in Kent, despite our surroundings now or in the production company he owns, he still says “us all”.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment