276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Upstream: Selected Essays

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Her work received early critical attention; American Primitive (1983) , her fifth book, won the Pulitzer Prize. Exploring the twin pleasures of writing literature with essays on Whitman, Wordsworth, Poe, and Emerson and then the observations of the natural world—seeing it, hearing it, and responding to it, are the inspiration in this collection by poet Mary Oliver. I want to believe that the imperfections are nothing — that the light is everything — that it is more than the sum of each flawed blossom rising and falling.

Mary Oliver Quotes (Author of A Thousand Mornings) - Goodreads Mary Oliver Quotes (Author of A Thousand Mornings) - Goodreads

Too wrecked to say more so I will just leave you with maybe the most beautiful characterization I’ve ever read of being an artist: It is six A. I had to go out into the world and see it and hear it and react to it, before I knew at all who I was, what I was, what I wanted to be. I have read her poetry for years, she in one of my favorites but until this book I never knew she was an essayist. Web icon An illustration of a computer application window Wayback Machine Texts icon An illustration of an open book.Mary Oliver Issues A Full-Throated Spiritual Autobiography In 'Upstream' Oliver's latest collection of essays reflect the author's passion for nature and literature. These essays span a long career from the ‘90s to early ‘10s but the timeless subjects keep it feeling fresh. Vincent Millay and briefly lived in Millay’s home, helping Norma Millay organize her sister’s papers. Born in a small town in Ohio, Mary Oliver published her first book of poetry in 1963 at the age of 28. Oliver's essays on Whitman, Emerson, and Poe are insightful pieces that were immensely enjoyable to read.

Mary Oliver Quotes about Nature, Beauty, Devotion, and 21 Mary Oliver Quotes about Nature, Beauty, Devotion, and

I'd like to thank NetGalley for giving me the chance to discover, read, and review a new-to-me author with this ARC.

Our resources are crucial for knowledge lovers everywhere—so if you find all these bits and bytes useful, please pitch in. And this is what I learned: that the world's otherness is antidote to confusion, that standing within this otherness—the beauty and the mystery of the world, out in the fields or deep inside books—can re-dignify the worst-stung heart. Give them the fields and the woods and the possibility of the world salvaged from the lords of profit. Upstream is a collection I can definitely see myself revisiting and I look forward to reading more from Mary Oliver.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment