276°
Posted 20 hours ago

McVitie's Hobnobs Milk Chocolate & Salted Caramel Flavour Oaty Snack Bars 6 Pack (180g)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Butter: I use unsalted, then add a small amount of salt to the caramel layer. But feel free to use salted butter instead if you’d prefer it to taste like a salted caramel slice. Mmm! For the caramel For the chocolate filling, melt both chocolates over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold the chocolate into the cream until combined. Place spoonfuls of chocolate mix over the caramel layer, and spread gently to cover. If you want a smooth surface, dip a palette knife in very hot water, wipe dry, and spread over the chocolate to smooth. Return to the fridge to set for at least 4hr or overnight. This follows the introduction of a sugar tax on soft drinks in 2018, which has seen the sugar content in fizzy drinks drop by an average 28.8%. Milk Chocolate & Coconut Flavour: Rolled Oats (34%), Glucose Syrup, Milk Chocolate (12%) [Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Dried Skimmed Milk, Dried Whey ( Milk), Butter Oil ( Milk), Vegetable Fats (Sal and/or Shea, Palm), Emulsifiers ( Soya Lecithin, E476), Natural Flavouring], Vegetable Oil (Palm), Wheat Flakes (4.5%) [ Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Salt, Honey], Crisped Cereals (4.5%) [Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Sugar, Malted Barley Flour, Malted Wheat Flour, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier ( Soya Lecithin)], Wholemeal Wheat Flour (4.5%), Sugar, Humectant (Glycerine), Maltodextrin, Water, Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup, Emulsifiers ( Soya Lecithin, E472e), Flour ( Wheat Flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Natural Flavouring, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Product contains 21% Hobnobs Biscuit pieces

Golden Syrup – This is a really key ingredient for both flavour and texture but I realise it’s not available everywhere in the world. Corn syrup is a good alternative if you can’t get it. To make the salted caramel, heat the tinned caramel, butter and 3tbsp water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally, then continue cooking over a medium/high heat for 10min, until it reaches 105°. Remove from the heat and stir in sea salt flakes. Leave to cool for 15min before pouring into the tart tin. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 1hr. It’s a no bake slice! Instead of a homemade shortbread base that you have to bake, you use a crushed biscuit base instead. You don’t have to bake the caramel either. Flour – Self raising flour is best but if you don’t have any, you can use 125g of plain flour and 1.5 tsp of baking powder instead. Hobnobs get their flavor from oats and a lovely ingredient called golden syrup, a British baking staple. Golden syrup is an invert sugar (like corn syrup) that prevents sugar crystals from forming, so they’re used in caramel and candy-making. Like its name indicates, golden syrup has an amber, golden color. Golden syrup, unlike corn syrup, has a rich flavor that’s not pure sugar; it tastes caramel-y and buttery which makes it a great addition to baking recipes. While golden syrup used to be super difficult to find in the US, it’s pretty easy to find online or at higher-end stores (I think possibly because of the popularity of Bake-Off). If you can’t find it, you can absolutely substitute a mild honey. That said, I do think it’s worth the effort of finding the golden syrup.To make the filling, put the cream cheese, mascarpone, soured cream, vanilla paste and 175g sugar in Milk Chocolate & Golden Syrup Flavour: Rolled Oats (34%), Glucose Syrup, Milk Chocolate (12%) [Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Dried Skimmed Milk, Dried Whey ( Milk), Butter Oil ( Milk), Vegetable Fats (Sal and/or Shea, Palm), Emulsifiers ( Soya Lecithin, E476), Natural Flavouring], Vegetable Oil (Palm), Wheat Flakes (4.5%) [ Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Salt, Honey], Crisped Cereals (4.5%) [Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Sugar, Malted Barley Flour, Malted Wheat Flour, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier ( Soya Lecithin)], Wholemeal Wheat Flour (4.5%), Sugar, Humectant (Glycerine), Maltodextrin, Water, Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup, Salt, Emulsifiers ( Soya Lecithin, E472e), Flour ( Wheat Flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Natural Flavouring, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Product contains 21% Hobnobs Biscuit pieces

Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Health England, said: “We’re pleased that McVitie’s is the latest household name to commit to offering healthier products. Now make the chocolate topping – gently heat the cashew butter, coconut oil and honey/maple syrup in a small pan. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cacao powder until smooth. In a small saucepan over a low-medium heat (or in bowl in 10 second intervals in the microwave) melt together the butter (125g | 1/2 Cup + 1 tbsp) and golden syrup (1 tbsp) then set aside to cool.Oats – Real hobnobs use a combination of jumbo oats and rolled oats. Either will work great on their own though. What a better way to celebrate the new season–whether its the newest season in the UK or the US Netflix series of Bake Off The Great British Baking Show–than with these Hobnobs? . Side note: the new season available on US Netflix is the season I watched here in the UK last year. Let me tell you, it’s a good one! Bicarbonate of Soda – Essential for a little oomph. Don’t switch this out for baking powder as they do different things. Push the mixture into your tart tin. I found it easiest to put all the biscuit mixture into the centre of the tart tin and then push it into the sides. I used this loose bottomed base tart tin because I find it easier to get the tart out once it is finished.

The step-by-step guide below should help you make the recipe perfectly first time. Scroll down to the end for the full recipe including ingredient amounts.Public Health England has a voluntary sugar reduction programme with food manufacturers and shops on products including cakes, chocolate, breakfast cereals, yogurts and biscuits.

Chocolate: I like to use a good quality dark chocolate for my caramel slice topping. You know, to balance out the intense sweetness just a tad. But of course you can use any chocolate – milk, white, caramel (Caramilk!), Mint, or any other kind you can think of. Biscuits: The great thing is that you can use almost any biscuits you like to make the base. Since I’m in Australia, I tend to use plain sweet biscuits like Marie, Arrowroot, Scotch Fingers or Digestives. You could even try Anzac biscuits! In the UK, I’d try Rich Tea, Shortcake, Nice, Digestives or even Hobnobs. Use gluten free biscuits for a gluten free caramel slice, or how about ginger biscuits or Lotus Biscoff for something completely different? There’s just the right amount of the 3 delicious layers– crunchy base, gooey caramel and chocolate on top. You know when you take that first bite and wish there was more or less of something? You won’t have that problem with this! About the ingredients You could use any biscuit you fancy I went for a hobnob simply because they are my favourite. You could use any plain biscuit or if you want to use a chocolate biscuit or a biscuit with a filling head down to the alternatives section below for the alter amounts. Lightly oil the cake tin. Whizz the biscuits and hazelnuts in a food processor until very finely ground. With the motor running, pour in the butter with a pinch of salt, then whizz until the mixture looks like wet sand.

Welcome, I'm Marie

Growing up, I sampled LOTS of versions of this delicious, decadent slice. So I know what a good one tastes like ;-). Bake for about 15 minutes until golden, then leave to cool (they will firm up while cooling) on the tray.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment