276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Aftersun [DVD]

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

AFTERSUN (A) is a quietly devastating British drama from first-time director Charlotte Wells that demonstrates an understanding of cinema you rarely see even in experienced hands.

What really makes this special is that it primarily plays out from the perspective of Sophie, his daughter.That sense of mystery runs throughout this mesmerising feature, which, despite being set largely in the past, nonetheless feels peculiarly present. There is a palpable feeling of regret and he exhibits lingering love still for his daughter's mother and there's a sense that this is one-sided as alluded to by the daughter. A still of that grin freezes as a wall blow-up, from which Wells pans through the adult Sophie's flat, showing the pensive woman on her own birthday.

Frankie Corio naturally composes a charming girl Sophie and Paul Mescal (the handsome beach attendant in The Dark Daughter) at 26 perhaps looks too young for the young father who nevertheless composes sensitively. The sweeping action-drama led by Ben Foster and Academy Award winner Michael Caine follows a notorious military leader of history, late fourteenth century Czech icon Jan Zizka, who defeated armies of. It's the opposite of dramatic yet it keeps you engaged and glued to the screen through out as you care about the characters despite the simplicity of their day to day interactions.So far, so gloomy, but much of Aftersun is blissful, the chemistry between Mescal and Corio lighting up the screen. Both films deal with disenchantment with parents and the mystery of the future, but I think Aftersun's passive vibe is much more effective in creating a reflective melancholy - at least I relate to it more anyways. Mescal can also bring a sense of sadness and regret to the role, which helps make the relationship between Sophie and her father more believable. That made me think of Brené Brown's work (on the power of vulnerability - if you're not familiar google that on TED talks and join the 60+ million people who've watched her talk; many a suicide results from the shame of vulnerability) and how one possible message in this film could be a kind of outcry from an abandoned daughter, 20 years later, wishing her father - as she keeps rewatching him on the 'eve' of his suicide - might have not despaired to the point of ending his life because of shame or a sense of failure that may have undergirded his depression. Hopefully I will be able to share my love and gratitude my parents as Charlotte did here with such elegance through some way.

For the past few weeks, I've heard and read a lot about people's reactions to this film, and I have seen nothing but unhindered love and affection. It's not cheap sentimentality nor is it a soaring score that left me teared up long after the credits - it's that the revelation that the film quietly about something else the entire time. Written and directed by Sophie Wells, AFTERSUN tells the story of Sophie (Frankie Corio) reflecting on a summer holiday with her father (Calum, played by Paul Mescal) 20 years before.About how their love can be felt despite their faults and despite the sufferings we never knew about. After getting home, reading many critics' reviews, I began to see the film through such new eyes that i suddenly made sense of its plotline and meaning that went way beyond what any critic was saying.

Starring Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio, and Celia Rowlson-Hall, the film follows an 11-year-old Scottish girl onholidaywith her father at aTurkishresort on the eve of his 31st birthday. We learn that Sophie is coming of age and trying to make sense of her relationship to her father and to other boys. Scenes where we expect disaster to strike, as when Calum is scuba diving without the requisite experience or Sophie falls in with a crowd of sexually aware teenagers, pass without incident.What's more, this offering's camera work - aimed at simulating glorified home movies, a fitting approach for telling this story - is packed with innocuous material. However, I realised that it is a film which exploits the art of storytelling from that place of reticence we all feel at times, when it's just too overwhelming to say how we're feeling and as a study in depression and regret it turns out to be very poignant and real in the end. There are no real stakes or tension in the story, which is essential for any drama to be successful. Aftersun was named one of the best films of 2022 by the National Board of Review [4] and was awarded top place by Sight and Sound on its poll for the best films of 2022.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment