276°
Posted 20 hours ago

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX (64C/128T, 288 MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz Max Boost)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Today, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced the new AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 5000 WX-Series workstation processors, led by the 64-core, 128-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX. Building on the best-selling and award-winning Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3000 WX processors, the Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors bring dominant, full-spectrum performance leadership across multiple workstation workloads due to the performance and efficiency of the “Zen 3” core architecture and increased processor frequencies. 1,2 Today also marks the launch of the first workstations powered by the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors – the Lenovo ThinkStation P620 featuring all five of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processor models – providing workstation users with industry-leading performance. 2

The AMD WRX80 chipset benefits from eight-channel memory for increased bandwidth when compared to quad-channel Threadrippers and dual-channel Ryzen configurations, with capacity for up to 2 TB when used with DDR4 LRDIMM memory. It also includes support for both ECC and non-ECC memory at DDR4-3200. The biggest jump in regards to specification compared to regular TR is in its PCIe support, with up to 128 PCIe 4.0 lanes available, which in turn increases the amount of PCIe slot real estate vendors can use. AMD essentially ran Intel out of the HEDT market with its Threadripper 3000 processors, which provided an unprecedented level of performance for high end desktops that Intel simply couldn’t match. AMD’s decision to then exit that market was met with plenty of criticism from enthusiasts. AMD’s re-entry does look promising with a cut-down TRX50 platform that’s designed to reduce costs compared to full-featured workstations. Still, the new Threadripper 7000 CPUs command stiff premiums, not to mention the costs associated with ECC DDR5 memory, which will certainly relegate it to the prosumer and professional markets. AMD says this shift in focus will create differentiated products for that specific market segment, but it appears that what we would have traditionally considered an HEDT platform for enthusiasts will remain out of reach for most. However, AMD sparked a core war with Intel, resulting in mainstream processors that already feature more than enough horsepower for the overwhelming majority of enthusiasts.

Threadripper Pro: Born of Need

As we mentioned before, Steve and Tim's video editing workstations are currently using the Threadripper 3970X and 3990X and while both have been game changing, allowing us to stabilize dozens upon dozens of b-roll clips at once while also providing impressive encoding performance, the recent upgrade to a Panasonic GH6 mirrorless camera has caused a few editing related headaches. It is E-ATX in size, which is fully utilized with an impressive six full-length PCIe 4.0 x16 slots. This includes support for two triple-slot or three dual-slot graphics cards, which will depend on the configuration a user opts for. For storage, the M12SWA-TF includes four SATA ports and four PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slotsthat includesupport for RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 arrays. Supermicro has also incorporated two PCIe 4.0 U.2 slots, with support for just RAID 0 and 1 arrays. The M12SWA-TF also uses an ASpeed's 7th generation AST2600 BMC controller with one D-sub video output on the rear for physical IPMI access. ( Ian: Oooh, AST2600 is new, isn't it?) Computers are my lifelong obsession. I wrote my first laptop review in 2005 for NotebookReview.com, continued with a consistent PC-reviewing gig at Computer Shopper in 2014, and moved to PCMag in 2018. Here, I test and review the latest high-performance laptops and desktops, and sometimes a key core PC component or two. I also review enterprise computing solutions for StorageReview. Beyond the cores, there are some other significant differences between the two processor families. Compared to the Intel Xeon W-2400, the Intel Xeon W-3400 has more memory capacity (4 TB vs 2 TB), more PCIe lanes (112 vs 64) (so it can support more add-in GPUs), more Intel Smart Cache (L3), and a higher max base power (350W vs 225W).

CPU-Z and AIDA64 reported "quad" channel memory, and AIDA64's memory benchmarks showed reasonable memory performance. Another rendering benchmark is V-Ray and here the 5995WX was 15% faster than the 3990X, so not a huge performance gain, but about what we've come to expect for this sort of workload. Originally, I bought 4x64 GB ECC RDIMM because I thought 256 GB might be enough, and I wanted to leave some empty RAM slots to populate with 128 GB RDIMMs if those ever became cost-effective. (Right now, 128 GB RDIMMs are about triple the price of 64 GB.) Point cloud processing software, Leica Cyclone Register 360, assigns threads according to the amount of system memory. On a machine with 64 GB it will run on five threads and on one with 128 GB or more it will run on six. I'm a user of a TR 3960X with 256GB of memory as a development workstation + DBs + VMs + High speed networking. I remember when AMD killed the HEDT version of Threadripper for the 5000 series. The 3000 series HEDT was too good for end-users and cannibalizing the sales of the Pro version. They are plenty of start-up or professional users for which the HEDT version is sufficient, no need to pay twice the price for a Pro version.Meanwhile, the Intel Xeon W-3400 Series is for ‘experts’ with seven models ranging from 12 to 56 cores and 8-channel DDR5 4400/4800 memory. Engineering simulation includes Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). FEA can help predict how a product reacts to real-world forces or temperatures. CFD can be used to optimise aerodynamics in cars or predict the impact of wind on buildings. Both types of software are extremely demanding computationally. Ray trace rendering is highly scalable. Roughly speaking, double the number of CPU cores to half the render time (if frequencies are maintained).

Based on AMD Labs testing as of January 31, 2022 using the Puget Systems Adobe Premiere Pro benchmark to compare the Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995X reference system configured with 8x32GB DDR4, NVIDIA Quadro RTX A5000, 1TB SSD, Win 11 vs. a similarly configured BOXX APEXX4 workstation with an Intel® Xeon® W-3375. Results may vary. CGP-07 Based on AMD performance lab testing on January 31, 2022, using the Revit RFO model creation benchmark to compare performance of AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 5000WX-Series reference systems configured with 8x32GB DDR4, NVIDIA Quadro RTX A5000, 1TB SSD, Win 11 vs. five similarly configured BOXX APEXX4 workstations with Intel® Xeon® W-3300 series processors. Results may vary. CGP-18 Supporting the incredible performance of Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors and helping create a solution for the most demanding professionally managed IT environments, are several AMD PRO technologies including: Finally, it’s important to note that all our tests were done with the ‘ultimate performance’ Windows power plan and power draw may be different with future BIOS updates. We had been actively testing for alternatives, the Core i9-12900K was amazing at scrubbing through timelines for general editing, but as soon as we wanted to stabilize more than a dozen clips at once, the system became unusable and would often crash. Meaning we had to stabilize clips in batches, saving after each batch was complete before starting the next batch. It wasted a lot of time and the encoding process was also slower.

So if AMD comes up again with a HEDT TR 7000 series, that will be to counter the low models of the INTEL W-3300 and W-2400 series and indirectly "gap-protect" the 7950X revenues, while not going all the way up in terms of number of cores. In AMD shoes that's what I would do.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment