276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Elvis and Me: The True Story of the Love Between Priscilla Presley and the King of Rock N' Roll

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Priscilla began by detailing every harrowing encounter in her memoir Elvis and Me and began by admitting that she was wrapped around his finger.

Priscilla wrote that Elvis did not approve of his father Vernon's relationship with divorcee Dee Stanley and did not attend their wedding. After the marriage, Elvis bought a home on Dolan Drive in Memphis, where Vernon and his new wife resided. On the rare occasions Dee Stanley-Presley came to Graceland, Elvis did his best to at least be civil towards his stepmother.Is no one going to talk about the fact that Elvis was giving Priscilla drugs?! A 14 year old? And basically OD’d her at 16?! K, what????!!! Priscilla's descriptions of the nights she spent with Elvis before their marriage suggest that the star was not overtly sexual towards her. The couple kissed and engaged in petting, but Elvis always stopped the make-out sessions before it led to actual intercourse. My wife and I saw the movie 'Elvis' starring Austin Butler last year, and that re-ignited my wife's Elvis 'fan-atacism'. She read a few Elvis books, this being one of them. Since she enjoyed the book so much, and knows I'm interested in Elvis as well--she recommended that I read it.

I enjoyed reading the book, maybe because it was interesting to read about such a famous relationship or just such famous people. It felt like someone was telling me a story in person tbh. Edwards was a struggling model and actor before he cross paths with Priscilla. But according to him it was lust at first sight and ignited a fiery romance. Some members of his adult audience were less enthusiastic. Soon his performances were labeled obscene. My mother stated emphatically that he was "a bad influence for teenage girls. He arouses things in them that shouldn't be aroused. If there's ever a mothers' march against Elvis Presley, I'll be the first in line."I kept wanting more. More details. More in depth analysis about them. Yet I understand that this is their story and only their story to tell. No one else can or even has the right to share this. I’m certain that there is some bias in this book and that it’s not 100% impartial. In her memoir, she even admitted that she was not allowed to cut her hair without his permission because “men like long hair.” Priscilla grew up in a strict but loving household. Her stepfather, the only father she knew, since her own died when she was an infant, was a military man, and so the family moved often. It was while they were stationed in Germany that one of Elvis’s employees saw Priscilla and invited her to meet with Elvis, who was doing his own tour of duty.

As an Elvis Presley Expert, and Collector with OVER 100,000 photos/items since the late 1960's, I know all of the "resentment" about Priscilla (and the Estate). Decades after his death, millions of fans continue to worship Elvis the legend. But very few knew him as Elvis the man. Here in her own words, Priscilla Presley tells the story of their love, revealing the details of their first meeting, their marriage, their affairs, their divorce, and the unbreakable bond that has remained long after his tragic death. Elvis was a very complex man and this book displays more than any other media I’ve come across what a problematic man he was. The age gap, his manipulation, and all the infidelity are so clearly stated in here, yet I’m surprised how casual Priscilla is about it and that the book ends on such a positive note regarding that. I would’ve wanted even more reflections from her side how she believes that this has affected her life and her personality. Or perhaps she had not even worked through that by the time she wrote the book. Has she even by now?I have read two other Elvis biographies, and as dreadful as all of this sounds, the other authors were less gentle. In fact, this is part of Priscilla’s stated reason for deciding to tell her own story. Dinner was strictly group participation: Mother cooked, one of us set the table, and the rest cleaned up. Nobody got away with anything, but we were very supportive of one another. I felt fortunate to have a close-knit family.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment