276°
Posted 20 hours ago

South Riding

£8.995£17.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

South Riding was written during the last two years of Winifred Holtby’s life, when she knew she was dying, it was prepared for publication by her good friend Vera Brittain. In 1919, she returned to study at the University of Oxford where she met Vera Brittain, a fellow student and later the author of Testament of Youth, with whom she maintained a lifelong friendship. Other literary contemporaries at Somerville College included Hilda Reid, Margaret Kennedy and Sylvia Thompson. After graduating from Oxford, in 1921, Winifred and Vera moved to London, hoping to establish themselves as writers (the blue plaque at No. 82 Doughty Street refers). [2]

South Riding by Winifred Holtby | Goodreads

A BBC television adaptation by Andrew Davies, starring Anna Maxwell Martin and David Morrissey, was produced in 2010 [8] [9] and broadcast in February 2011. As well as her journalism, Holtby wrote 14 books, including six novels; two volumes of short stories; the first critical study of Virginia Woolf (1932) and Women and a changing civilization (1934), a feminist survey with opinions that are still relevant. [8] She dedicated the latter book to composer Dame Ethel Smyth and actress and writer Cicely Hamiltion, both strong suffragists who "did more than write " The March of the Women", [9] the song composed in 1910 for the Women's Social and Political Union. [10] She also wrote poetry, including poems about Vera Brittain's dead brother, Edward. In 2018, we commissioned the York Archaeological Trust to carry out ‘Food for Thought’, a project exploring the history and archaeological landscape of the Yorkshire Wolds. Find out more in our Research Magazine. I lean against that gate in the ivied wall under the ash tree, and hear the clump of farm horse hoofs coming from the drinking pond, and see the sunset beyond the horse pasture and the sixty-acre stretch that lies, dark plough-land, up to the flaming sky.” Winifred Holtby, 1934 In 1925 Brittain married an English political economist with a pince-nez called Gordon Caitlin, after a courtship conducted mainly by letter. ‘It seems that one must choose between stagnation and agitation in this world,’ wrote Holtby mournfully when Caitlin first appeared on the scene. She too had a sort of suitor, who seems to have suited her by existing but did not suit her as much as Brittain did. Meanwhile, Brittain wrote from her honeymoon in Austria that she ‘would not sacrifice one successful article for a night of physical relationship’ and advised Holtby not to think of getting married herself:The novel was adapted for the cinema in 1938 starring Edna Best as Sarah Burton, Ralph Richardson as Robert Carne and Edmund Gwenn as Alfred Huggins. [4] Holtby wrote parts of the novel in Hull’s library, and watched council meetings from the public gallery of the Guildhall. It is the outstanding novel of the local area and, as such, might have expected a plum spot – a stage version, say – in the programme for Hull 2017 UK City of Culture. But there will be no South Riding the opera, nor a ballet about Holtby’s tragically short yet fascinating life, so fans will have to content themselves with a series of talks about writers with connections to the city, including Holtby and the poet Andrew Marvell, organised by Jane Thomas of the University of Hull. This passion for imparting information to females appears to be one of the major male characteristics Winifred Holtby Winifred Holtby (23 June 1898 – 29 September 1935) was an English novelist and journalist, now best known for her novel South Riding, which was posthumously published in 1936.

BBC One - South Riding BBC One - South Riding

How in the world would I give a book 5 stars to a book that had these titles for the 8 parts of it (49 chapters in all)? a b Bishop, Alan (2004). "Holtby, Winifred (1898–1935)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (onlineed.). Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/ref:odnb/37563 . Retrieved 24 April 2019. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.) Minute Drama: Winifred Holtby - The Crowded Street Episode 1 of 10". BBC Online. BBC . Retrieved 19 January 2017. Bostridge, Mark (15 March 2012). "The story of the friendship between Winifred Holtby and Vera Brittain". The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved 29 March 2012.No es una historia sencilla de leer pero sí que se disfruta mucho una vez absorbes todas la complejidad y los diferentes grises que la autora va dejando. First published in 1936 this is a marvelously femenist novel. Set in the fictional South Riding, with much of the story concerning local poitics, and the different characters and factions associated with the county council, alongside other local people. There is a large cast of characters, at the centre of which is Robert Carne, landowner and councillor, Sarah Burton, a new headmistress for the high school, and Mrs Beddows 72 Alderman, and great friend of Carne. Mrs Beddows - a truly marvelous character - seems to be a portrait - at least in part of Winifred Holtby's mother, herself a local councillor who became (like Mrs Beddows) the first woman Alderman. These residents and politicians are wonderful creations. Holtby populates the book with realistic people with both good and bad traits that cover a broad spectrum of the community. There is a 70ish female alderman, Mrs. Bellows, who’s friends with Carne and champions Burton, which is an especially effective and warm portrayal. Holtby peppers the book with insightful and, at times, sharp, even savage, observations of these South Riding denizens.

South Riding (novel) - Wikipedia

Vera Brittain: A Life by Paul Berry and Mark Bostridge (1995). Chapter 11 on the publication of South Riding. All her novels, together with a collection of short stories and a collection of her journalism, were reprinted by Virago in the Virago Modern Classics series in the 1980s. [18] Legacy [ edit ] As with much of her writing, it depicts a rural community’s struggle against the hardship of the 1930s economic depression and brings to life the people and places Winifred had known best, in the Yorkshire Wolds of her childhood.

Además hay que tener en cuenta que cuando un libro está narrado desde el punto de vista de diferentes personajes siempre habrá algunos que no te despierten demasiado interés y por lo tanto hagan la lectura más irregular. A mí esto me pasó con personajes como Huggins, que si bien tienen el mismo mérito que cualquier otro en su construcción, personalmente no me interesaba y prefería seguir explorando otros. A parte toda la trama política de las elecciones, aunque sé que es muy importante, también se me hacía algo cuesta arriba. I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is the best classic novel you’ve never heard of. Correct me if I’m wrong. The first episode aired on BBC One 20 February 2011, the two remaining on the following Sundays. In the United States, it aired on the PBS anthology series Masterpiece in May 2011. [1] Cast [ edit ] Personally, I am a feminist … because I dislike everything that feminism implies. … I want to be about the work in which my real interests lie … But while … injustice is done and opportunity denied to the great majority of women, I shall have to be a feminist. [4]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment