276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Thrifty Kitchen: Over 120 Delicious, Money-saving Recipes and Home Hacks

£9.995£19.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dr Rupy cooks up some delicious budget friendly meals with special guest and anti-poverty campaigner Jack Monroe. It's hard for me not to read this book as an unbiased reader as I do agree with everything Jack stands for, but trying to push that aside I did find it a really useful and easy to follow set of recipes and lifehacks. I ended up adding a whole lot of lemon, salt and pepper just to give it some flavour – something the dish was sorely lacking. And there is a reason why I’m doing what I do after 10 years, because I think some people find it a bit fucking useful.

But to keep spiked free we ask regular readers like you, if you can afford it, to chip in – to make sure that those who can’t afford it can continue reading, sharing and arguing. Is there anything that can make you feel smugger than saving your vegetable peel to use in a proper meal later in the week? How on earth can you make a risotto without frying up a soffritto (chopped carrots, onions and celery) – or at the very least, softening some onions first to boost the flavour? As if working-class families haven’t been creating ingenious ways to get by on a tight budget for decades.

He also helmed BBC Earth’s 2020 Regeneration Food series which showcased how businesses, organisations and leaders are wasting less to reduce their carbon footprint.

Over the previous eight years, since her blog post Hunger Hurts hit the headlines, Monroe had established herself not just as a cookbook author but as an influential voice on food poverty in Britain, railing against austerity as well as suggesting affordable ways to survive it. So in my head, nearly every kid went into care because nearly every kid I came across was in the care system. Featuring a vibrant rainbow design, and our super-sized Q logo, you won't find a more stylish way to make a statement.Hilariously, the Trussell Trust, Britain’s largest network of food banks, has shelved its plans to give Monroe’s book to the hard-up folk who use its services. I especially like how Jack suggests easy substitutes for items as it encouraged me to embrace this approach to cooking that has long been ingrained on me by my family.

Nigella Lawson Thrifty Kitchen is Jack Monroe's bumper collection of over 120 brand-new, delicious, low-cost recipes, plus household tricks guaranteed to save you money. I was with a friend, and we went round Asda and it was like what I imagine being on an acid trip is like.Alongside having to scrimp and save to pay the bills and fill the fridge, the hard-up will now see Ms Monroe everywhere, in her poverty chic get-up, going on about being a ‘ lefty, liberal lezzer’, and issuing top tips such as: if you don’t own a tin-opener, how about using a sharp knife and a mallet to open your tinned grub?

Following an updated statement from the trust, received after publication, the text was changed to clarify that the trust says it plans to distribute the book to its food banks after an addendum is added by the publisher. While the chef is vegan, all his recipes are written to be easily adapted for dairy, fish and meat so people can make use of whatever is in the fridge to ensure less food waste. At the end, the photographer’s assistants sweep her clean of pennies, and she rushes off to the loo in her flesh-coloured swimsuit, chattering with cold. This is the great irony of the Monroe phenomenon: the fawning over her by the media elites is not motored by concern for poor and working-class people, but rather by disdain for them.Bluebird, a Pan Macmillan non-fiction imprint, has issued a statement regarding “potentially risky” hacks and tips included in Jack Monroe’s latest book Thrifty Kitchen, which was published on 5th January 2023. In addition to being the author of bestsellers Good Food For Bad Days, Tin Can Cook and Cooking on a Bootstrap, Jack is a passionate campaigner against hunger and food poverty in the UK. Because my parents had fostered for most of my childhood, I’d grown up with this fear that if I ever had a child, he would be taken into care. Why was she effectively begging for money on fundraising platforms when she was now a bestselling author, a Guardian columnist and appeared regularly on TV?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment