276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Halibut Jackson: 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When Halibut's invited to a party at the palace, he's too bashful to go, until he decides to make a palace-patterned suit. The resulting prestige of designing clothes for the royals means everyone wants a Halibut Jackson outfit, and he becomes a successful suit maker.

See if you can spot the shy and retiring Halibut Jackson in this beautiful picture book from an extraordinary and innovative artist. One day Halibut Jackson receives an invitation from the Queen to a party at the palace and starts work on his most ambitious outfit yet, a bejewelled suit of silver and gold, which he thinks will go unnoticed amid the splendours of the palace. This book could therefore support the language development of young children or children who have EAL. Not sure I agree with a message that seems to say "as long as you're useful, you will be accepted by people" (true, but should it be?My drawing is picture-writing - I never draw from life - I make patterns, as if I were knitting with ink.

He uses his gift to blend into his surroundings when he must go out in public, but eventually it garners Halibut attention that he finds he doesn't mind getting. Apart from the satisfaction of ‘finding’ Halibut in each setting, there are lots of additional visual delights.I like that good things happen to Halibut because he is brave and creative, that people respond to his art and his risk-taking, and that he becomes connected and successful in his community. I've always liked fancy dress parties - it's fun pretending to be someone you're not - and I enjoy being on my own in nature - I love places where I can escape the modern world and imagine I'm living centuries ago. David's other books include Lost in the Toy Museum with Walker and , I Was Made for You with Andersen.

At times Lucas brings the focus onto a single character or element by placing it against a white background, but more often he fills up every nook and cranny of the page with people, flowers, books, and knick knacks of all shapes and sizes. I found this at the library book sale and bought it for my small niece, who has yet to actually get her hands on it. Writing, for me, is pattern-making too - putting words together as if they were simple shapes, making story-patterns that are a mixture of autobiography and myth and fairytale. A former education lecturer and classroom teacher, Mary is the author of ‘Developing Children’s Critical Thinking through Picturebooks’ (Routledge 2015).The story is written in short, repetitive sentences with important words emphasized in italics or capitals. One day he miscalculated and dressed in a jewellery type dress to blend into the Queen's palace but this time was a garden party. The toys at the museum come alive after the lights go off and have adventures, apart for old Bunting who likes to take care of the other toys and teach them the history of the museum. Not only does he attend the party of the Queen but he becomes the star of the party, overshadowing even her Majesty, herself.

This is a very charming story about a very shy character who designs outfits which help him stay unnoticeable. In this ten-session Writing Root, which we suggest will take 3 weeks to cover, the children open a drapery that sells 'Suits for every Occasion'.

Passionate about the importance of dialogical pedagogy, literacy and children’s books in education, she is frequently invited to be a keynote speaker in Ireland and the UK. But when he is invited to a party at the Palace, he is flummoxed - what does it look like in the palace? com, and picked as one of the top 10 children's books of that year (across all genres) by both Publisher's Weekly and Child magazine in the US.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment