276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Open the Cage, Murphy!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Uproarious... There’s a degree of candour and artistry to O’Grady’s writing that lifts it far above the usual showbiz memoir" ( Guardian) Why does he think people voted for a Conservative majority? “They’re absolutely blinded. They listen to this guff from Osborne – dreadful man. And Cameron – ugh! I loathe them,” he hisses. “They have no idea how normal people live, and how they try to manage. They see us all as Jeremy Kyle.” He remembers nursing his friend Chrissie, who was dying in hospital, “in the early days, when they were testing the meds. They put him on extra-strong medication. And he said: ‘You can’t sit there, Jesus is there.’ And there’s his mother. And Joan of Arc. It became perfectly acceptable to me to be having tea with Francis Drake. I just went along with it. It was like improv.” How else does a comic deal with a desperate situation, other than with humour? “I’ll never forget a guy who used to dance with paper fans. They were a bloody nuisance, to tell you the truth, and he said, oh, they’re not cool any more. And I said, ‘What is?’ And he said, ‘Dying.’ I’ll never forget that, in the kitchen of Westminster hospital, scraping the ice-cream off me that Chrissie had thrown.” With typical razor-sharp wit and candour, Paul tells of his rise to fame as Lily Savage in the late 1980s and early 1990s, before he became a household name... Riveting" ( Mirror)

Open the Cage, Murphy!: Hilarious tales of the rise of Lily

Not at all sure on this book, I've read it but its been a trail of a read. I loved all his previous books but this one just didn't pull me in the same. Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth The 4th instalment of Paul O’Grady’s autobiography does not disappoint, all equally enjoyable with a good mix of laugh out loud and somber moments. For me this one was the most enjoyable as its around this time that Lily Savage caught my attention, I can remember watching Lily on the Big Breakfast and of course Blankety Blank. Paul James Michael O'Grady MBE (born 14 June 1955) was an English comedian, television presenter, actor, writer and radio DJ. He was best known for presenting the daytime chat television series, The Paul O'Grady Show and, more recently, Paul O'Grady Live, as well as his drag queen comedic alter ego, Lily Savage, as whom he performed in various television series including Blankety Blank (1997–1999) and Lily Live! (2000–2001). He also appeared in the comedy sitcom Eyes Down (2003–2004) and presented several travel documentaries. O’Grady says one of the reasons he never goes out now is that he would spend the week worrying what he should wear. “I’m terrified of being mutton dressed as lamb.” He says gentrification has ruined pubs. “Any pub that says they do gastro food and children are welcome – that’s not a pub!” he roars. “A pub should smell of cigarette smoke, booze, with a nice old barmaid who reeks of perfume, who’s been there all her life.”Fantastic read,laugh out loud, couldn't put it down great holiday book, have read all of his books brilliant I couldn't put it down . . . Paul comes across as a very intelligent man . . . with a heart of gold under that naughty exterior.' ***** With typical razor-sharp wit and candour, Paul tells of his rise to fame as Lily Savage . . . Riveting.' Daily Mirror Condition: Good. Item in good condition. Textbooks may not include supplemental items i.e. CDs, access codes etc.

Open the Cage, Murphy! - Penguin Books UK

The 4th volume of memoirs more than lives up to its predecessors, as Paul recounts the rise of Lily Savage to prime time TV and West End spectaculars. Another spell binding look into the life of Paul/Lily, that is full of laughter and tears. With an All Star studied cast...not least Buster, his dog. I can't wait for the next instalment. I once met Paul fleetingly on the set of his show where we were, of all things, painting road markings on the studio floor, nearly asphixiating everyone in the process. This is such a great read, Paul is excellent when describing things makes you feel as though you are there with him. His humour warmth and caring comes out in abundance.' ***** Condition: Very Good. Reprint. Ships from the UK. Former library book; may include library markings. Used book that is in excellent condition. May show signs of wear or have minor defects.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment