276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Black and British: A short, essential history

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There is a lot to take in with this and would be a good place to start for young readers, and also for older readers too. This is done in a way that can be read by all and is done in a way that is honest and factual. It also provides the reader with a good starting point to look further and wider into the topics and events discussed in this book. For readers aged 12+, the book asks some thought-provoking questions and answers them in a smart and thorough style that will teach adults as much as it will children. We can see why it's been called a must-read. * Evening Standard * I found this a very compelling read, clearly presented and easy to digest. I'm definitely going to be looking out for the bigger version (even if this is slightly more updated) as I did want a little more detail in places. Does the book contain anything that teachers would wish to know about before recommending in class (strong language, sensitive topics etc.)? The winners of The Farshore Reading for Pleasure Teacher Awards 2023, highlighting the work schools are doing to encourage a love of reading, have...

For readers aged 12+, the book asks some thought-provoking questions and answers them in a smart and thorough style that will teach adults as much as it will children. We can see why it’s been called a must-read. I know at that age, knowing this stuff would have been really grounding for me. How did you change the book to make it child-friendly? Winner of the Book of the Year, Children's Illustrated and Non-Fiction at The British Book Awards, 2021. Shortlisted for Waterstones Book of the Year 2020 Royal Mail industrial action taking place in 2023 may have an impact on delivery times to all destinations both within the UK and internationally. These delays are out of our control.I often struggle with non fiction books but since this is aimed at young adults / children(?) this is written so clearly and well and does not require prior knowledge from you. There are a few bits that could have been expanded but that’s inevitable with a summarised view of history.

When I was 16, I bought a copy of Peter Fryer’s Book Staying Power. It was an incredibly empowering experience to read that book. I wish I’d been able to read it at 11 not 16. History like this must be made more accessible and not hidden. So much has been achieved that has not been discussed so is lost which is wrong. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Longlisted for the UKLA Book Awards 2022 Information Books 3-14 | Winner of Book of the Year, Children's: Illustrated and Non-Fiction at The British Book Awards | Shortlisted for Waterstones Book of the Year 2020 Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical MomentsThis emotive poetry anthology from former Children’s Laureate, Michael Rosen, explores the plight of refugees today, Rosen's childhood as part of a Jewish family in post-war London, his family's' memories of the war, and the fate of relatives who disappeared in Nazi Germany. Olusoga’s enthusiasm for his subject is most evident as he wends his way to the Georgian house of Samuel Johnson, to tell the tale of his servant Francis Barber, born enslaved in Jamaica, who went on to become the beneficiary of his master’s will. Along the way, there are chapters on familiar themes, such as the advent and end of the Atlantic slave trade, but refocusing on heroic figures such as the abolitionists Granville Sharp and Olaudah Equiano; and poignant reflections on the Commonwealth troops who fought in the two world wars. Olusoga’s intentions are commendable, and his insightful reflections amount to much more than an accompanying text to a TV series. This is a thrilling tale of excavation. Wieder ein so wichtiges Buch, dass ich wünschte alle würden es lesen. Es ist unglaublich, wie viel uns nicht beigebracht wird und wie viel wir aus der “Weißen Perspektive” lernen! For all the fanfare heralding the book and the series as a revolutionary landmark – as a means of seeing our history differently – it is Olusoga’s personal story that is most arresting. At the beginning and end, he mournfully captures that feeling of being unwelcome in Britain, and the desire for flight, to escape the brutal and bruising atmosphere that I, as a child of Jamaican immigrants, felt in the 1970s. Our father used to counsel: “Don’t get too comfortable, you hear; we’re only passing through.” But our temporary residence, despite the worst efforts of Enoch Powell’s bovver boys and their contemporary equivalents, turned out to be permanent. Olusoga reminds us that we had been here centuries before. And as the descendants of people who travelled to these shores on British passports stamped “right of abode”, surely now “we reach”. As the government’s national archive for England, Wales and the United Kingdom, The National Archives hold over 1,000 years of the nation’s records for everyone to discover and use.

Much of what was in here I’d vaguely heard of (especially the areas Professor Olusoga highlights in the 1700s and beyond), but much of the information about things before then was brand new to me. And I learned some new things about topics I had a baseline knowledge of, like the Windrush generation, and the British profit from slave trade and slavery. I decided to read it for a recap. To cement my understanding and revise the key points from the parent book. It was engaging, interesting & essential. Usual UK delivery timescale (excluding custom prints) is between 5 and 7 working days from the date of dispatch. Please allow up to 14 working days for delivery. For custom print delivery pricing and timescales see below.

Young people knowing their history as they go into adulthood is empowering for them – but it’s the responsibility of companies, corporations and institutions to examine their internal cultures and to weed out structures that create inequalities.

I’m proud to call myself a British citizen. I believe that our country is one of the most diverse in the world. We have been through a lot of pain to achieve this and understanding all the pain is a great way to move forward to a more peaceful future. This book is a good brief history in and a step in that direction. Buy from our bookstore and 25% of the cover price will be given to a school of your choice to buy more books. *15% of eBooks. Home > For readers aged 12+, the book asks some thought-provoking questions and answers them in a smart and thorough style that will teach adults as much as it will children. We can see why it's been called a must-read. - Evening Standard

Get Notified

If possible I would like David Olusoga to receive this. In his article the Times Weekend yesterday David skips from the Romans to the Tudors writing that very few people came from Africa after the Romans left. Author Guy Bass introduces SCRAP, about one robot who tried to protect the humans on his planet against an army of robots. Now the humans need his...

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment