276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Let's Chase Stars Together: Poems to lose yourself in, perfect for 10+

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

By entering this competition, you also agree to the Caboodle Terms and Conditions and Caboodle Points Terms and Conditions. Author Anna Kemp introduces The Hollow Hills, the sequel to her dark magical tale, Into Goblyn Wood. KS2 Assembly - Matt’s unique performance style means that children will be engaged from the moment he begins - witty, warm and humorous, Matt will perform some of his poems and discuss with children the techniques needed to create successful performances. PRAISE FOR BRIGHT BURSTS OF COLOUR: Whether you need cheering up, a sympathetic ear or something funnier or more thought-provoking, you'll find plenty in this poetry collection for every occasion and mood. * BookTrust *

The children at Bradshaw Hall loved listening to Matt's unique style of poetry and joined in with great enthusiasm. Truly inspiring! The class workshops were extremely popular and both staff and children have already requested a return visit! See if you can find a poem within the collection that contains a pattern - for example a repeated line - steal that pattern and push your life onto it. Change the repeated line to something you want to say - and then you move from imitation to innovation and create something brand new. For a teacher, there is a wealth to draw on, adding poetry to story times or to provoke thoughtful discussions in other subjects. For children reading independently, there are many which will resonate with their personal experience and feelings. 'Callum' is a particularly poignant poem which I had the great pleasure of hearing Matt perform and many teachers will recognise pupils of their own in Matt's words. There are poems about difficult aspects of home life - 'A Thousand Hours', 'The Wolf', 'Hey, Mum' and 'Jake'; school life - 'It's Always the Same', 'I Hope It Rains Today' and 'Transition'; poems about feelings, relationships, life and love. Yet Matt manages to achieve a delicate balance of emotion and humour, ensuring the broadest appeal for his poems - and surely encouraging others to express themselves through this form.Within the collection are poems about the here and now, and children facing difficult family situations. Why is it important to you to include those poems as well?

PRAISE FOR BRIGHT BURSTS OF COLOUR: Matt Goodfellow is a fresh voice on the children's poetry scene. * Pie Corbett * An inspirational session, delivered with such energy. The children produced some fabulous pieces of poetry. Matt is a brilliantly engaging performer who enthuses and inspires children." - Rachel Jacques, Head Teacher, Bowker Vale Primary School, ManchesterThe Promoter accepts no responsibility for winners not receiving the prize before stated publication date due to prize unavailability from the publisher, technical issue resulting in a delay from the publisher, or for any other reason. The techniques that Matt teaches during the writing sessions are adaptable, and means that children (and teachers!) will be able to apply the skills learnt to any topic they are studying – cross-curricular writing is easy with poetry! Details Preferred age range: Matt Goodfellow's poetry collection is one to lose yourself in, one to share. * Armadillo Magazine * Matt begins sessions by playing warm up games that get children into a ‘poetic frame of mind.’ The children will write a class poem together and will then go on to innovate on a model poem which Matt provides, ending the session with brand-new piece of writing that can continue to be developed with the class teacher. As the sessions progress, Matt will provide the teacher with hints and tips as to how to integrate poetry into the classroom in an interesting and engaging way. Children will have the chance to perform their work at the end of the session.

It's extremely important for me, because I was that child struggling with the chaos of a difficult family situation - one that left me feeling I wasn't anybody's priority. Because I was naturally quite clever, and could be funny, and wasn't bad at sports, my primary and high school teachers just assumed I was OK. I wasn't - and nobody ever told me there was a space called poetry where I could just write down all the madness in my head as a way of trying to make sense of things. I think it's so important that all children see themselves reflected in literature. I want those children that are living through the same things that I did to know they're not alone - and that all is not lost. From the minute Matt walked into our school there was a buzz of excitement. He engaged every single pupil in the workshops and encouraged them all to step into the fascinating world of poetry. Pupils and staff loved the day and were left with great ideas, inspiration and a real feel good factor. In this story of hope and endurance, we follow a scientist and her team during their search for the elusive 'Giant Arctic Jellyfish'.The topics reflect what it means to be young in the world today, making space for vulnerability and strength. I spin the wheel of worry every day, one poem notes, but another cautions: don't mess with this battle-scarred child. Nature, school and family feature in these accessible poems. * The Irish Times *

David Almond introduces his new picture book, A Way to the Stars, a story about perseverance and finding a way to make dreams come true. The children will work together in small groups to put these techniques into practice by deciding on how best to perform poems – discussing rhythm, use of voice, expression, actions etc. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are incomplete, illegible, incorrect, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Automatically generated entries or entries via third parties are invalid and shall not be considered.

About Author

Prizes are sent to winners prior to publication and so the cover may differ from the image shown, and may be an uncorrected proof copy. Matt’s performances allow children to join in with and memorise some of his poems – and are guaranteed to do it with a smile on their face! He will also talk about the writing process and will leave time for a Q&A session at the end of the performance.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment