276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Badger's Parting Gifts: A picture book to help children deal with death

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book uses euphemisms and direct language to refer to the badger dying, and gives some attention to Badger's preparations for death before focusing primarily on the community's rituals for healing. The Book is about a Badger who knows that he is close to the end of his life but he is not scared about dying.

Badger’s Parting Gifts not only shows us that our deceased loved ones live on through warm and loving memories of them but also when we share with others the things they’ve taught us when they were still alive. Now 35 years old, Badger's Parting Gifts has been used by countless families experiencing bereavement to help talk about their feelings. I want to be better about teaching joyful things to my children, things they will carry in their memories down the decades to come. From reading this text to children I feel that it’s a good way to approach the subject of death as every child will experience it within their life time.It is suitable for KS1 and lower KS2 classes and would be an excellent resource to use during circle-time. The book also has great pictures and illustrations it uses subtle colours and tones to portray the feeling and mood of the book. As the last of the snow melts, so do his friends' sadness and whenever Badger's name is mentioned, someone always remembers another story that makes them all smile. The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report.

Once the story has been read to a group of children this would then enable the themes to be explored as a vehicle for questioning, communication and discussion. This is a touching book and I think it would help children get to grips with the concept of death and bereavement which is something that they may have to deal with at some stage in their childhood. Endorsed by Child Bereavement UK and with reading notes and online resources in the back of the book. The story shows the importance of talking about these situations and it may help children to share their feelings with others.

Badger dies when he is very old, which wasn't relevant to my daughters situation but this was fairly easy to explain and led to more discussion around loss and death. I do believe Badger's Parting Gifts is more suited to late KS2 as there is an element of empathy that some children will be able to relate to from the written text. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Their grief seems endless to them and never ending, until they begin to remember all the great memories they have of their time with Badger.

I feel that due to this and the use of simple language causes the book to suit its key stage one audience. However in time they remember the valuable moments they spent with Badger and the pain begins to be surpassed by fond memories. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. I think this is a really lovely book to help children begin to cope with any losses they may have had. All through winter and into spring they talk about Badger and how happy he made them; various stories are told that leaves them all with happy memories; each of them has special memories of Badger.

Gradually they come to terms with their grief by remembering all the practical things Badger taught them, and so Badger lives on in his friends’ memories of him. At the end one of his friends goes to the hill and says hello to badger and hopes that he can hear him. However the dated appearance of the book seems to award it weight and authority on the issues it confronts so tenderly. What a wonderful way to remember Badger, and what a wonderful little book to help children begin to cope with grief.

When he passes away all of the other animals grieve their dear friend Badger and throughout the story they remember all of the wonderful things Badger taught them when they were growing up. Badgers Parting Gifts is an award winning children’s book which explores the importance and value of friendship in times of need.

Badgers Parting gifts, is about a lovely old badger who's about to die, he has lots of friends around him and begins to think about all they ways in which he can thank them just for being there for him. Heartbroken, his friends started to remember all of the things that Badger had taught each of them leaving each with a parting gift. They soon come to see that they will always remember Badger through his ‘parting gifts’ and realise that he will always be with them, in some way. Her picture book Badger's Parting Gifts that deals with grief, is one of the most enduring of all time, winning many prizes, including the Mother Goose Award in 1985. Bill and his Grandma look through an album containing old photographs - a touching story about a young boy's special relationship with his grandparents.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment