276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Jealousy Man: From the Sunday Times No.1 bestselling author of the Harry Hole series

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On paper the money was hers, but it was her father who pulled the strings. The insistence on a prenup when we got married was, of course, his idea. He probably saw it all, how she’d soon grow out of her longhaired young photographer with his lofty dreams and his ‘artistic ambitions’.

Jo Nesbo Books In Order | Waterstones Jo Nesbo Books In Order | Waterstones

The investigating officer sits in an armchair facing me, and the notebook lies untouched on the table in front of him. I can feel the springs beneath the sofa cover against my thighs. An old rococo sofa, her style. Had he had her on this sofa, her new guy, the architect? He moved in just a few weeks after I moved out. For all I know he was screwing her on the sofa while I was still living in the house. The officer doesn’t ask me to explain what I mean when I say I know what they’re thinking, so I go ahead on my own initiative:I’m a huge fan of Jo Nesbo and Knopf publishing for their amazing mysteries in the most chilling settings! The Jealousy man is a collection of short stories which are just as good as his series and stand alone books! These stories are centered around power and jealousy and what they do to people. There is a pretty wide variation of stories, some I loved and some I didn’t. Regardless they were full of clever twists and unlikable characters that really made you ask yourself some questions. Discover a twisted new horror story from thebestselling author of the Harry Hole series, reimagined with creepy illustrations for Halloween

The Jealousy Man by Jo Nesbo, Robert Ferguson | Waterstones

This collection is divided into two sections – Jealousy and Power – and as I typically find when I read collections of short stories I definitely liked some more than others. The stories are dark and they include morally grey characters, which I loved. And none of them ended the way I expected to them…they are filled with great twists that really keep you guessing the entire time as to where it is heading, no matter how long each story is. Nesbo also takes us to the near future, to a dystopian America, where the upper-class elite is waiting atop a skyscraper to be evacuated while the masses fight for survival in the streets below. We are introduced to two best friends on their way to the running of the bulls in Pamplona when they fall in love with the same girl and, in the epic and vicious finale, we meet a psychologist who also happens to be an assassin.Svidio mi se i način na koji Nesbø ovdje portretira likove, tj. naglasak koji stavlja na likove koji su više možda zlikovci nego heroji i splet okolnosti koji ih je natjerao da to budu. Ljubomora je sama po sebi snažna emocija, korijen mnogih krivih postupaka i skretanja u pogrešnom smjeru. Ovdje je ona ono nešto što sve priče povezuje, ali i ono nešto što ih sve pokreće. Meet a detective on the trail of a man suspected of murdering his twin; a hired assassin facing his greatest adversary; and two passengers meeting by chance on a plane, spelling romance or something far more sinister. I read that when Henrik Bakke found her he thought at first she was asleep. Pity he wasn’t there when she died. He might have learned something. I mean, it must be fascinating to study a human being in transit between life and death, don’t you think?’ In his first ever collection of short stories, this master of crime delivers a gripping, edge-of-your seat read that you won't be able to put down. This collection of short stories by the talented Jo Nesbø is divided into two themes. The first centres on jealousy and part two around power. I enjoy the first group much better than the second as there’s a really good mix of stories and the theme is evident throughout. The first entitled London is outstanding and my favourite story as I love the clever twist at the end which makes me smile, albeit wryly. The second The Jealousy Man which gives the collection it’s title, has a great premise of sibling rivalry and how that manifests itself into jealousy. It is a bit on the long side with some digressions but it is a clever story of parallel lines. I also like The Line which is short and sharp with the perfect revenge for a line jumper. In Trash we have an angry and jealous refuse disposal officer who really cleans up after himself and The Confession has a particularly yummy Twist! The latter really appeals to my rather dark sense of humour!!

The Jealousy Man By Jo Nesbo | Used | 9781787303126 - Wob The Jealousy Man By Jo Nesbo | Used | 9781787303126 - Wob

Few of Nesbø's characters pass the decency test. A man's kindliness toward a sobbing woman seated next to him on a flight to London masks dark intentions. An assassin with a day job in Milan as a psychologist is himself marked for death by a sadistic hit man of greater repute. In San Sebastián, an ardent proponent of the multiverse is suspected of killing one of his "other" selves. An Austrian researcher hiding out in Spanish Sahara devises a formula for immortality to save his ailing wife only to fight off corporate types who will do anything to take possession of it. The estranged son of a billionaire thinks twice about saving his father from a deadly snakebite in Botswana. Nesbø is at his best in the long, wonderfully atmospheric title story, which shows off his gift for pulling one story out of another. Summoned to the Greek island of Kalymnos to investigate the possible murder of a man by the man's twin brother, Athens detective Nikos Balli—who specializes in sniffing out jealousy as a motive—ends up detecting an old friend's ill intentions during a mountain-climbing outing. Nesbø is less successful with "Rat Island," a baggy pandemic tale in which marauding bikers tear down the last vestiges of civilization while rich people plan their futures from the safety of a skyscraper. This story and others seem hastily drawn, and the author has a tendency to be too clever for his own good—the twistiest twists can arrive with a soft thud. But he never runs out of ideas or characters driven by inner thoughts. Until she met me Simone’s life was meaningless and directionless, she was on the skids. On the surface everything seemed fine – the looks, the money, the so-called friends – but there was no substance, no direction, you understand? I call it the terror of things. Because things can be lost, and the more things you have the more afraid you are of losing them. She was drowning in her own affluence, she couldn’t breathe. I came along and gave her space. Gave her air.’ We meet a Greek detective who has become an expert on jealousy thanks to some hard-earned lessons from his private life. Far away, in another country, a taxi driver finds his wife's earring in a car belonging to his boss and sets out to discover how it ended up there. High in the skies above, a woman is on board a plane headed to London, about to end her own life in the wake of her husband's affair with her best friend. But who is the man sitting next to her? The reason you haven’t found anything is simple. I haven’t been here, officer. At least not this past year. And the housekeeper does a thorough job with her vacuum cleaner.’ As soon as we answer a call in the Homicide Department and hear the word ‘murder’ at the other end of the line, we know there’s a fifty one per cent chance that the motive is jealousy.” Nikos Balli is “the man they call in when there’s a suggestion that jealousy is the motive behind a murder.” Jealousy is “a boa constrictor...Jealousy has no distinct smell, colour or sound. But it has a story. And it’s listening to this story, what is told as well as what is left out, that enables me to know whether I am sitting in the presence of a desperate, wounded animal...because I am myself a wounded animal...Jealousy evens out the difference between you and me, beyond the barriers of class, sex, religion, education, IQ, culture, upbringning, our behaviour begins to resemble each other’s.”

Retailers:

soprattutto per quanto riguarda la storia cardine “Gelosia”, ambientata in Grecia fra scalatori e due gemelli, sarebbe stato bello poter leggere di più, lasciando spazio al suo protagonista. E senza dubbio il creatore di Hole avrebbe potuto farci un romanzo one shot. The book starts well and the first short story was addictive but many of the other stories were predictable, repetitive and too short to get absorbed.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment