276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Descend- First Steps

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial. There are lots of spirits in the book, looking for love and worship, taking and giving and transforming. I only read this book because it was written by Michael Crichton under a n0m de plume but I am glad I did. I commend her for stretching the story to boundless limits, for using motifs of Dante’s poem and inserting her own magical elements.

excellent little paperback adventure set in the jamaican seas by legendary author michael crichton, here writing under the pen-name ‘john lange. To answer these questions, McGregor will have to contend with the deadliest sharks around—both underwater and on land. Even as the physical reality grows shockingly clear in “Let Us Descend,” Ward also imagines the spiritual terrain that enslaved Americans may have traversed.With McGregor diving to the wreck amidst hammerhead sharks and moray eels, he faces many hazards but why? Gorgeous, gorgeous writing which serves to draw even more attention to the unconscionable brutality and ravaging of slavery. Her lyricism is deployed to richer, stranger ends – a description of a dead man’s swollen and decaying body (“the meat of him pushing against his clothes”) is both revolting and admirable.

GRAVE DESCEND works well by virtue of its place setting accompanied by interesting twists and turns which separates it from the more traditional formulaic detective stories. Let Us Descend is an atmospheric, moving tale that sweeps you away to North Carolina during the mid-1800s and into the life of Annis, a young woman of mixed race trained by her mother in more than just servitude who, after being sold one year after her beloved Mama, is forced in chains on a gruelling march from the rice fields she’s only ever known to the sugar plantations of New Orleans where with a little help from the spirit world beyond she endures extreme hardships and brutal savagery until she can find an opportunity to finally slip free. Here, in “Let Us Descend,” are enslaved Black women close enough to the birth of America to have heard directly about the horrors of the Middle Passage and even the nature of life on the African continent. Too many novels dawdle and sag in the middle, drooping between the tautness of an intriguing start and the firmness of a dramatic conclusion.Yes, it does start strong, in both style (“The first weapon I ever held was my mother’s hand,” goes the opening line) and content; the narrator Annis’s mother takes her into the woods and repeatedly beats her with a tree limb. The job looks to be an easy pay off until McGregor discovers the yacht he’s to investigate hasn’t sunk yet. Taking place in the years before the Civil War, it covers the sale of a black woman from a Carolina rice plantation to a sugar plantation in Louisiana.

for what was intended as a cheapo paperback release, it’s actually a startling pleasure how concise, sharp and funny the scenes are.The nature of this place “sopping with spirit” is not always clear to Annis — or to us — but Ward uses these otherworldly voices to imagine a kind of fluid theology of early Black Americans at a time when their lives were uncontaminated with Christianity and still trailing the clouds of their African ancestors. What Jesmyn Ward has written is a beautiful and heartbreaking tale of female strength and resilience in the face of overwhelming odds. The answers that cluttered the earlier chapters are replaced with questions, as Annis is visited by voices: the spirits of the land, the river and a presiding presence who seems connected with Annis’s grandmother, an African warrior. the beautiful jamaican locale is a real part of the atmosphere here, along with whip smart local characters who leave a charismatic impression on you. Look to the best mysteries to solve as you lounge by the pool, take a refreshing swim through some historical fiction, or slip off to the cabana with one of our five favorite escapist reads.

In “Sing, Unburied, Sing,” which won another National Book Award in 2017, she described the notorious Parchman Farm, where Southern slavery was effectively re-legalized for the 20th century. Any changes made can be done at any time and will become effective at the end of the trial period, allowing you to retain full access for 4 weeks, even if you downgrade or cancel. Still, I felt as if I were reading something remarkable and for that reason, I urge others to walk south with Annis. from what i understand crichton was very hesitant to re-release any old “john lange” paperbacks he may have written a long time ago for money under a pen-name, but i think readers/fans of his work are smart enough to understand that these weren’t his best and most ambitious ideas, and that he was just grinding out fun stories for pay. There are tons of villain kids on the Isle of the Lost who are eager for their chance to come to Auradon Prep-even Celia, Dr.I think he must have made just enough of it before he wrote with his own name - since this is not even close to his potential. Throughout, she opens herself to a world beyond this world, one teeming with spirits: of earth and water, of myth and history; spirits who nurture and give, and those who manipulate and take.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment