276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Feersum Endjinn

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Although the dimming sun still shines on the vast, towering walls of Serehfa Fastness, the end is close at hand. It remains unclear whether the Dwellers will give the necessary cooperation in allowing other species access to their network, now that the secret is out. He followed it with a string of successful mainstream novels in the mid-to-late eighties, publishing one nearly every year. Get up slowly, arms back, resting on elbows, looking down towards feet; woman, naked, colour of the ground.

Feersum Endjinn by Iain Banks: 9780553374599

The argument that an economy of abundance renders anarchy and adhocracy viable (or even inevitable) attracts many as an interesting potential experiment, were it ever to become testable. I maintain that our contemporary human society is not so different from the Serehfa archetype, nor from the fictional future society to which we've already applied the archetype. At this point his publisher was hungry, Banks was hot and readers wanted more, so in the late eighties he began rewriting his earlier rejected science fiction work. That society encompasses the living and the dead, the first-lifers and the reincarnated, the physical and the virtual, the human-basic and the chimeric. Each situation is introduced in turn, without resolution, then each resolution is presented one after another after another at which point the narrative curtain is lifted and the impact is demonstrated for us in the physical world.At one end of the vast C bitten from the castle a single great bastion-tower stood, almost intact, five kilometres high, and casting a kilometre-wide shadow across the rumpled ground in front of the convoy.

Iain banks Culture : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming

His accent, which feels a little North London and a little Glasgow, makes the phonetic spelling just a touch more challenging for the reader (particularly if the reader is from North America), but if one takes one's time, and even reads it aloud, the pay off is worth the work it takes to read. Linus clings to the notion that his job is about saving children from cruel or dangerous homes, but really he’s a cog in a government machine that treats magical children as second-class citizens.I think I liked it a lot: I certainly liked the concept of the world, anyway, though on reflection I don't give much a monkey's about most of the characters. It’s convoluted but so worth it, because I was able to get Feersum Endjinn, Excession, and The Algebraist that way. It needs to be re-read, having slowly throughout the book becoming used to the Bascule character and his phonetic writing.

Feersum Endjinn by Iain M Banks Book review of Feersum Endjinn by Iain M Banks

It takes a while to register that the character is actually very intelligent despite this: his sections are essentially a diary, in which he explains that the thought-interpreter he's using doesn't agree with his unusual brain pattern. It is as intelligent as the more contemporary 'The Bridge' (which so far is still my favorite novel coming from Iain Banks that I have yet read - I am still wading through his books), it is not set in the Culture series, but as a stand alone sci-fi novel with a very unique aspect about it, just as all his novels contain. Things like Clispier falling under suspicion of being the double agent in the conspiracy, who sold them out to the King and Consistory. I got through about 20% of this book and the story was interesting, but ultimately I could not deal with that crap.It is also revealed that the Dwellers have been harbouring artificial intelligences from Mercatoria persecution. Banks' has done something beautiful and unexpected here, taking some familiar sci-fi, cyberpunk and fantasy themes and rolling them all up into something new and wonderful, and with ample does of humor to boot. If you don't have any problems reading the phonetic Bascule parts, I will recommend the book on Banks' name alone.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment