276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Delicacy: A memoir about cake and death

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

From the age of 14, on the recommendation of her doctor after a rare illness, Wix starts to take a daily walk in the woods with her dad and his dog. The episodes that describe the deaths of her parents and her closest friend, in quick succession, are extremely moving, both because of their restraint and because Wix is so rigorous in her observations of her own thoughts and feelings.

They had finally figured out how to never obey their appetites and to always remain hungry, and had, at last, become lovable and fuckable. Shocking, raw, darkly funny and deeply humane, Katy Wix's exploration of trauma, grief, addiction, love, loss, memory and hope is truly unforgettable. I just remember… contained rage for that whole year, just wanting to scream at people, ‘I’m not coping with this. She moved back from London to Wales and so it was that she found herself filming the second series of the silly BBC sitcom Ghosts – in which she plays Mary, a dead witch-trial victim with a soot-streaked face and comical West Country accent – while caring for her mother, learning how to lift her out of wheelchair, stroking her hair, watching her “die every day”.When someone appeared with tea and cake in the middle of a family psychodrama, what they are really saying was: Let's all eat our feelings instead of expressing them" (p. While all writing in a consistent and compelling voice Wix employs different literary techniques for each of the chapters – described by the publisher as ’21 snapshots of a life’. Life with all its tragedy and joy has given Katy Wix a wisdom beyond her years and her memoir is a delightful way to get to know the woman behind the actress. A comedian writing about cake might sound twee, or evoke the sort of defiant hedonism that defines much of Jo Brand’s work. It is hard to capture the fullness of Delicacy without falling back on the cheesy descriptors more commonly saved for movie posters (It’ll make you laugh!

He anchors it in his early experiences as an identical twin, and, through works by authors from Sophocles to Toni Morrison, shows us how the shapeshifting that they enable alters and expands our own sense of self. The idea that, contrary to notions of child-like freedom and frivolity, by eleven years old Wix had already developed an acute sense of self-awareness, of her perception in the outside world, and the inhibiting perfectionism that so often accompanies that recognition. Prior to the accident, Wix seemed to feel stumped and somewhat snubbed by the obscurity of her father’s past; “I began to wonder who he was […] there was so much I didn’t know”.Delicacy took my breath away' - Lolly Adefope'Heartbreaking, ridiculously clever and laugh out loud funny. You realise that you are probably trying to fulfil your parents’ unrealised creative dreams, and yet she demonstrates to you that womanhood equals martyrdom.

Shocking, raw, darkly funny and deeply humane, Katy Wix’s exploration of trauma, grief, addiction, love, loss, memory and hope is truly unforgettable.I think I was at the height of that little sliver of confidence you get before you have any knowledge of the real world,” she says. Her best friend and both her parents died within months of each other, the grief triggering a paralysing depression. Elegant and eloquent, a beautifully written book on grief, and women, and humanity and how some people (I’m looking at you, English grandad) are just relentless tw*ts that you have to navigate your way around. Tristram was a Victorian clergyman and ornithologist who categorised a list of birds he’d found in Palestine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment