276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Defiance Part 1

£6.38£12.76Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The 2-LP set comprises (almost) the full set from the night, together with photos, a printed inner bag, liner notes written by Mott authority Campbell Devine and a replica tour poster.

Ian Hunter Remains Strong on ‘Defiance Part 1’ Review: At 83, Ian Hunter Remains Strong on ‘Defiance Part 1’

No Hard Feelings” is a slower song, with Hunter singing about how he’s “gonna make a man out of you,” with a strong example of stellar guitar playing from the now, late Jeff Beck, along with Johnny Depp adding to the track. Mott The Hoople's legendary show at London's Hammersmith Odeon in December 1973 has been issued on 180g vinyl.

The performances smartly stick to rockers since the few ballads (“Guernica” and “No Hard Feelings”), while darkly tuneful, expose the limitations of Hunter’s voice, now a shadow of his “All the Young Dudes” heyday. These will play on a normal CD player, but also on SACD players which will give listeners audiophile sound quality.

Defiance Part 1 - Available Everywhere Now! | Ian Hunter

Don’t feel sorry for me – it’s been a great run if, indeed, it stays with me, and I have to stop now. I’ve been in Sun Studios a couple of times,” he adds, “and I don’t know what it does for anybody else, but it’s a great feeling being in that room, a very strange feeling. Mick Ronson produced the album, and Ian Hunter also produced, arranged and contributed to two tracks.They sent me a mock up and there’s the yellow label with my name on it and Sun Record Company, Memphis, Tennessee,” he says. Before that he spent 10 years as a freelance music journalist, interviewing artists for the likes of Total Guitar, Guitarist, Guitar World, MusicRadar, NME. This new edition contains an introduction by Johnny Depp, a new chapter by Mott biographer Campbell Devine explaining the background to the 'diary', new photos, Ian's 2015 Japan 'diary' (previously published in Mojo magazine) and an afterword by Ian Hunter. With his mind still agile, his piano playing still on top form and his voice still strong, Defiance Part 1 makes a nonsense of that. It's All Good, That's Life - Can't Get Enough and a live album from the Mick Ralphs Blues Band Should Know Better.

Ian Hunter, ‘Defiance Part 1′: Album Review

Which explains why Slash and Metallica’s Rob Trujillo are on the title cut, but not why it’s so good. Now, with DEFIANCE PART 1, Hunter takes creative solidarity to an unprecedented new level with spectacular accompaniment from a truly awe-inspiring roster of special guests, famous fans, and lifelong friends. Defiance" kicks things off with Slash soloing throughout and Metallica's Robert Trujillo playing the same Fender bass that Jaco Pastorius used on Hunter's All American Alien Boy in 1976.In “Guernica,” Hunter speaks in the voice of Pablo Picasso creating one of his greatest paintings, a portrayal of the chaos and violence of the battlefield, which many have interpreted as an anti-war statement. From the title track that's as metal as Hunter gets (that'll be Slash) and is a classic Hunter boast (" Got an F for giving too much lip/Got an F for being tragic and hip"), to the single Bed Of Roses, about playing Hamburg's Star Club and features, aptly enough, Ringo on drums, this is a collection of brilliant, swinging rockers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment