276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Untold Stories

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bennett's most recent play, The History Boys, opened to great acclaim at at the National in 2004, and is winner of the Evening Standard Award, the South Bank Award and the Critics' Circle Award for Best New Play. Still, if I knew little of my mother’s family I knew even less about my father’s, not that there seemed much to know. His chances of survival were given as being "much less" than 50% and surgeons had told him they removed a "rock-bun" sized tumour.

Untold stories : Bennett, Alan, 1934- : Free Download, Borrow Untold stories : Bennett, Alan, 1934- : Free Download, Borrow

An Englishman Abroad takes as its subject one such spy, Guy Burgess, exiled in Moscow and pining for Savile Row suits, whilst A Question of Attribution shows his comrade Sir Anthony Blunt, Surveyor of the Queen’s Pictures during the 1960s, at this time, by contrast, at the heart of the British Establishment in Buckingham Palace. Putting her finger to her lips (the man in the wardrobe now having mysteriously migrated to the bathroom), she drew him to the window to point at the fishman’s van, looking at him in fearful certainty, even triumph; he must surely see that the fate she feared, whatever it was, must soon engulf them both. The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.

Having started at the Royal National Theatre, he became known for such works as Talking Heads, The Madness of King George, The History Boys, The Lady in the Van and The Habit of Art. One school of thought held that the depression should be allowed to run its course unalleviated and unaccelerated by drugs. I am doing the driving and it helps that road safety precludes much eye contact, my own occasional embarrassment betrayed by abrupt bursts of speed when I suddenly put my foot down, as if to get away as fast as I can from the past he is talking about.

Untold Stories by Alan Bennett | Waterstones

In December that year, Cocktail Sticks, an autobiographical play by Bennett, premièred at the National Theatre as part of a double bill with the monologue Hymn. His many works for television include his first play for the medium, A Day Out in 1972, A Little Outing in 1977, Intensive Care in 1982, An Englishman Abroad in 1983, and A Question of Attribution in 1991.

Naturally, the book includes a great deal about the theatre, actors and directors, but one of its more surprising aspects is the amount of writing about paintings. Bennett is portrayed by British actor Alex Jennings in the 2015 comedy-drama film The Lady in the Van.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment