276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Perfect Strangers

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Scottoline, Lisa (November 21, 2018). "Liane Moriarty's New Novel, Set at a Spa, Features Some Killer Treatments". The New York Times. Archived from the original on April 28, 2020 . Retrieved May 17, 2020– via NYTimes.com. Frances is a struggling romance novelist going for a weekend away to try and revamp her life after another bad experience with romance.

Perhaps the novel’s biggest problem is that the thriller aspect is really nothing but a ridiculous framing device, and doesn’t actually cause that much conflict to be brought to life. This is not fixed by the pacing issues — the beginning of the novel is far too long, and while the payoff for all her setup is fantastic, I thought Moriarty could have streamlined the middle by integrating character development into the plot with far more care. The novel’s tenth and eleventh character, Marsha & Yao, both get good development, but their role in the narrative itself is somewhat overextended at times. This book is weird, because it’s sort of a meta-thriller-character-exploration that has no genre and hates genre convention, and what’s perhaps even weirder is that um… this is Liane Moriarty’s brand now. The voice actress’s narration is just ok, maybe sometimes a little irritating. She voices most of the dialogue of the women in a high whiny voice that drove me a little nuts. The acting also leaves something to be desired as well, so some of the emotional parts of the book feel a little cringey. The girls move from Boston to Pennsylvania, where Leah has lined up a high school teaching job and hopes to start a new life. It’s certainly not Boston.

Synopsis

She doesn't disappoint. While not as amazing as ATMG, it's an engrossing read. Since I finished this on baseball’s opening day, I'll use a baseball analogy. If ATMG was a grand slam, this is a home run. There are three components necessary for a successful book - good writing, strong character development and a convincing plot. Miranda gets the first two spot on. My minor quibbles with this book rested with the story line. That being said, the payoff truly is excellent. The book ends its chosen arcs with about eight different quality character endings, including but not limited to an amicable marital breakup that subverts expectations, a sendup of romance novels & commentary on the thriller genre that ends one couple’s story, a very sweet coming-to-jesus moment for one couple, and an excellent and very feminist ending for one woman.

Think of Masha as a mad scientist. She prioritizes the result more than the process—even if the process involves people's sanity. Her "ends justify the means" attitude culminates at the end of the book, when she pushes her experiment to the limit. It became pretty apparent to me, as the ending loomed, there was only one of two ways the story could go — veer into crazy territory, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, or take the easy way out. Listen: 'The Alienist' Star Luke Evans Talks New 'Beauty and the Beast' Songs for Prequel Series". Variety. 16 July 2020. Archived from the original on 20 July 2020 . Retrieved 20 July 2020. Last year I was blown away by Miranda’s adult fiction debut All the Missing Girls. The story being told in reverse, the memorable characters, the building suspense that caused me to hold my breath until the gut wrenching conclusion were all reasons it was one of my top reads of 2016. I say all this as a reminder to myself, since I tend to judge successful authors’ latest work against their uber successful previous books (unfairly), that I need to base my review of this book on simply that, THIS book. I think the general consensus seems to be that this one was nothing like All the Missing Girls, and while I was a part of that group, I also felt this had many strengths on it’s own if the reader can go about being unbiased. she does a good job intensifying the suspense, and there was one turn in particular that gave me those reader-shivers you want out of a psychological thriller, but there was too much that just didn’t wash, it was too reliant upon coincidence and silly red herrings, too many implausibilities, and a desultory romantic subplot that did ze-ro for the story.

Your skin is gorgeous!’ Frances gesticulated wildly, probably because she was trying not to look at Zoe’s pimple.” Overall: An extremely enjoyable & entertaining read that had me totally engrossed from start to finish! Would highly recommend! Having never read any books by the popular author Megan Miranda previously or the highly successful "All The Missing Girls" I was looking forward to trying out this author by reading her latest offering "The Perfect Stranger". Leah was a dogged journalist determined to get to the truth no matter the cost. Looking for a new start, she feels it’s time to cut her losses and move on. The true reason Leah left Boston remains a mystery for most of the book. Moriarty has written a novel that delves into the human mind and the way we think and connect with each other, showing an intricate observation of human failings and frailties.

Overall, this was alright, and I would certainly read more books written by Megan Miranda, but this one just felt a bit too safe.Great veins,” he said. Nurses often said that about Frances’s veins. She always felt momentarily proud and then kind of depressed, because what a waste of a positive attribute.” Now the police and Detective "easy on the eyes" Donovan, want to talk to Leah about this man. Leah tells the police about the phone calls she has been getting, nuisance calls from someone who didn't seem to get the hint. She figured the calls were harmless. fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that has been digitally moldering, unread, on my NOOK for years and years and years. Ben let’s us know that the more work she had done on her face and body the less secure Jessica was about herself.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment