276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mika in Real Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Although Mika is the protagonist, and she clearly harbors a lot of pain about giving Penny up for adoption, Jean is careful to chronicle both her journey and that of Penny’s adoptive parents, showing the highs and lows, joys and pains of each side, never favoring one over the other or suggesting that one side is better than the other.

EJ: Again, I think this is another universal thing that most women can relate to because there have been millions of dollars and hours spent gaslighting women that they should look a certain way; they need to be a certain way. I really like the time span in this book is long and it really emphasized Mika's growth until the end of the book, and it's not just her self-growth but also her growth in relationship with Penny, Hiromi, and Thomas. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Mika in Real Life follows Mika, a 35-year-old Japanese-American woman who gave up her daughter for adoption when she was only 19.

Emiko Jean is the author of Tokyo Ever After, which was the Reese Witherspoon YA pick for July and a NYT bestseller. Mika in Real Life reminded me a lot of another book I read last year, The Candid Life of Meena Dave. There’s also the exploration of how that relationship impacts Mika’s relationship with Penny, and the struggle with understanding better where her mother was coming from but at the same time, wanting to forge a different path with her own daughter. KT: There’s a part in your book where two characters are talking about their contentious relationship, and someone says, “Shouganai,” which is roughly translated as “it cannot be helped.

Mika was of course a great draw - I love how she slowly allows us into her life and close to her heart. Mika in Real Life is all about making deep connections, figuring out one’s identity, and rebuilding one’s life. There was a little romance in this book, but I didn’t pick it up for that so I’m just going to forget about it being a bit underdeveloped yet sweet.It is so easy for us to get caught up in where we thought we should be in life and compare ourselves to others and Mika is a great reminder why that isn’t healthy and why we should celebrate what we have rather than chastising ourselves for what we don’t have or didn’t accomplish. If The Princess Diaries met Crazy Rich Asians, you would get close to the wonderfully chaotic splendor of Tokyo Ever After. You always know it’s going to come back and bite them in the ass, which can be cringy and frustrating. But, slightly too fast as it was, it still got across the changes and emotions that I think Jean intended to, and I was entertained the whole time. I really related to this because I’ve often felt these very same things not being quite American enough and not fitting into my previous culture.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment