276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Works of Charles Dickens - Heron Centennial Edition. Complete 36 volume set

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Samuel Pickwick: an exuberant old gentleman who gallivants around England with fellow members of his very own “Pickwick Club. Talk about melodrama… and there’s plenty more where that came from in the third act of Nickleby (which we’ll leave you to discover for yourself).

His villains are damn-your-soul sons of bitches that you wait to see devoured by their own evil (which you do get to see! This is a sort of Dickens potpourri, covering three of his novels that I've read in chronological succession, so for those who don't like Dickens (and I know who you are! Dickens zeroes in on both personal motives and the intoxication of mob behavior, when normal inhibitions become absorbed by exhilarating mayhem.

Thanks to the newspapers, he has taken to believe that the working class — to which he belongs — is responsible for their own strife. Not only did the play give Dickens the idea for A Tale of Two Cities, it brought about lasting changes to Dickens’s life in the form of Ellen Ternan. And her determination to lead her failing grandfather on an interminable walk from London into the countryside is downright absurd.

The covers on the Green Faux Leather Edition can dry out giving a tendency to split the cover at the external folds near the spine, you may also find losses at the edges where the Kidron has gone brittle. But Marley is only the first ghost to appear before Scrooge that night, and by no means the least ominous… as Scrooge comes to experience all manner of Christmases past, present, and future, he must make a decision not only on his feelings toward the holiday, but about what kind of man he truly is. When it comes to Victorian literature, no one was as prolific or influential as Charles Dickens — to the extent that we still use the word “Dickensian” to describe things reminiscent of his works! However, as his first bona fide historical novel (though all his works seem “historical” to us now), it’s a distinct departure from TOCS and indeed all Dickens’ previous works. Having recently read 'A Christmas Carol' (which I felt was apropos for the season at hand) I found it especially interesting in comparison with all the film and television adaptations I have watched over the years (my favorite being the 1951 version starring the excellent, Alastair Sim)–with more to come in the future, no doubt.Marion, one of the sisters, is betrothed to a man who left town to better himself — leaving her open to the advances of a local rake. XXIV]: A Child's History of England [includes 8 monochrome plates by Marcus Stone] (1876; X, 468 Seiten); Bd.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment