276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Sewing Book

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

An excellent reference for any skill level, Singer: The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing is split into straightforward sections. Full to bursting with over 100 inspiring projects for all skills levels, this book will appeal to any keen sewer. is sure to give confidence to any new sewer — young or old — but will prove particularly popular with younger sewers and teens. Wendy worked as a fashion designer for many years and then started to teach people to pattern cut and sew. Good overview of all the basics for sewing clothes and some furnishings, plus a couple of projects to test out the techniques in the book, but I would've preferred slightly more detailed tutorials for the more difficult techniques.

Sewing Books in 2023: Must-Reads For Sewing Fans 16 Best Sewing Books in 2023: Must-Reads For Sewing Fans

I find a lot of books have more formal garments or loads of dresses and skirts, Wendy’s clothing is every day clothing which is much more useful. Every hand and machine stitch and technique is clearly shown and easy to follow, guiding you through every move. It also has a lot of decorative techniques including fabric manipulation, decorative pleating and much more.Full of handy tips and tricks, with detailed explanations and step by step instructions with full color pictures, the book contains 6 chapters comprehensively covering crucial topics for all levels of ability. There was a great little pattern for a simple tote bag at the end of this chapter to practice (I have lots of scraps I could use up here!

The Sewing Book by Alison Smith | Goodreads The Sewing Book by Alison Smith | Goodreads

It includes detailed information that you might not think to look into if you were just googling or reading the pattern. This is a great place to start for learning the lingo of sewing--how to read a pattern, pros and cons of fabrics, how to add collars, the different ways to finish seams.It really motivates me to try them out and be more confident and adventurous in my sewing :) the photos and explanations are clear too. One for intermediate sewers, this sewing book will take your sewing skills to the next level, showing you a new versatile technique that will become part of your sewing repertoire. To accompany this, there are all the techniques and information you need to complete each project, including learning all about patterns, sewing seams and zippers, and hems. There are also extensive chapters with detailed information about shaping garments with darts, seams and pressing techniques, various different ways of finishing edges, plus closures such as buttons and buttonholes. For someone who has made a few things but wants to learn more about fitting then I’d highly recommend Sewing Basics for Every Body (her latest book.

The Sewing Book New Edition: Over 300 Step-by-Step - WHSmith

Frances, who runs the fabulous indie pattern company The Makers Atelier created this fantastic book. This is the only sewing reference you will ever need, with step-by-step photographs to show you how to sew absolutely everything! As the projects get more complex, you'll practise and perfect the skills you've learned, and build your sewing confidence.

Couture garments are mostly sewn by hand, so there is a large chapter dedicated to the different hand sewing stitches and seams and their uses. It says it's suitable for all skill/experience levels, but it seemed more like a reference book to remind someone how to do a technique they'd already successfully used rather than teach new techniques. If you loved watching the sewing bee this year (I know us too) then the book to follow the series would make a lovely present.

The Sewing Book New Edition: Over 300 Step-by-Step Techniques

Doesn't deviate too far into specialized techniques, but far enough that the beginner sewer will find lots of goodies (Hong Kong finishes, welt pockets, Canadian smocking, etc. I particularly like this book because not only does it cover the basic techniques for making garments but the full size patterns that come with it are for comfy every day clothes. A trained fashion and textiles teacher, Alison taught for many years at one of the largest schools in Birmingham, where she was Head of Department. Get ready to sift through your storage, dig out old fabrics and textiles and breath new life into them thanks to the impressive ideas in this must-have sewing book. The first section is brimming with information on how to use your sewing machine, and how to get the perfect stitch.Plus, you can bring your acquired and refined skills to fruition as you make some of the 25 home decor and clothing projects at the back of the book. Boards and dust jacket are in good condition with only mild shelf wear and scuffing, otherwise no other pre-loved markings. With the help of The Sewing Bible for Clothes Alterations on how to alter clothes, you’ll learn a whole array of clever skills to alter your clothes to a professional standard, but at minimum cost. Whether you’re new to sewing or a seasoned expert, sewing books can be a fantastic source of inspiration— for learning new techniques, to give you ideas for new and beautiful creations, and to motivate you to bold new heights with your sewing projects. Learn how to sew fun sensory toys for children that will spark their imagination and keep them engaged and occupied.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment