276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Citizen Promaster Diver 200 mt Automatico NY0040-09W Men's Watch Beige/Black Strap, Beige/Black, Bracelet

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

They’ve gone for both a brushed and polished finish which is something I’ve always been quite a fan of. The top of the casing is finished in a brushed style, however, the sides of the casing have a polished shiny finish. I tend to find this sort of design gives a watch a high-quality look. So what is the water resistance rating of the Citizen NY0040? For anyone skim reading through you may not have found this out just yet. This Citizen NY0040 has an impressive diver’s 200m water resistance rating which makes it a proper ISO certified diving watch. This thread is dedicated to the Citizen NY0040-09W ("09W") luminous dial automatic diver. I want to draw attention to this particular model and hope to see postings from others who also enjoy this unique watch. Dial face always has some green in it, so not yellow as in ripe banana yellow... I'd describe it to be milky green when the lume burst calms when indoors. However, the dial continually changes shades of milky green to grayish bland green, while obviously not appearing too sporty AT ALL. It's one of the watches that could fit any personality and still look subtly exotic. Folks have pointed out a a small, visible gap, between the day and date wheels on the Citizen. It's there, but not really noticeable on my copy. Not a problem to me.

One final thought, if others agree, I would like to propose we come up with a name for the 09W and would welcome suggestions. After all, there are Seiko "Monsters", Orient "OSD", Omega "Speedys" and the like. Based upon my earlier comments, here are my two suggestions: the "Ghost Diver" or perhaps, the "Green Lantern". I don't know how to set up a poll, but if there is sufficient interest, I will go research, or better yet, ask that another fan set one up. I'm almost certain that the lume quality "on the hands" is on par with Seiko's.. But the design makes Citizen's lume too vague after say 9hrs. What do you think of the Promaster? Do you own one? How do you like it? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! The second reason I bought the Citizen. I just hate the tactile feeling of unscrewing the Seiko, spinning the crown in the first position, and having nothing happen. Whether handwinding is something you need or not, it just feels, well, broken.Overall, it’s easy to see why the Citizen NY0040 has been such a popular timepiece. I think it’s a shame that it isn’t as well known as its Seiko counterparts to be fair.

All is not perfect, though. The lume on both the dial and hands will last through the night but for someone like me who wears glasses, it becomes almost unusable. After a few hours, the lume between the dial and hands become rather muddled together, making it difficult to read the time in the wee hours unless you have excellent vision, but who does at 4am???

Go Deeper

I agree that that the NY0040 is under-rated and very competitive with the Seiko SKX line on a point by point comparison. From a QC perspective, NY0040 is better. You rarely hear of the bezel, chapter ring, dial face misalignment problems that are common with the SKX (and I wonder why). Also, as you pointed out, the out-of-the-box accuracy of the Miyota 8203a movement trounces the Seiko 7S26. My 09W is typically within +/- 3 spd while my SKX009 is very "positional" sensitive and can gain 20+ spd. I do have a Z22 from Seiko, that I don't show in my pics. It feels just a little more plasticy than the Citizen, which has a nice underside texture and is nicely pliable. The bummer is that the citizen's strap is smaller, and tapers more. I'm also not a fan of the diving table on it-- it looks like it's trying too hard to be legitimate (even though it is a legitimate diver). Whereas both the Seiko SKX007 and the Citizen NY0040 feature day and date functions, the Citizen is the only model which also features hand winding which is something many people look for in an automatic watch. I’m sure many people would be well aware having already seen the ISO diving certification but it’s worth mentioning that the Citizen NY0040 does have a screw down crown function. If you haven’t used a screw down crown before I’d have a read of this useful forum thread. A diver’s 200m water resistance rating makes this watch suitable for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving.

The first thing I noticed as soon as I ripped up the handbrake and looked out of the car window was that directly across the street from the Air BNB was a dive shop. I looked down at my wrist and felt butterflies in my stomach. My mind was already made up. After a couple of days snorkeling the crystalline waters of Playa Chica I worked up the courage to walk into the dive shop. The people there were a band of incredibly friendly Brits, who immediately let me know all about the PADI discover scuba dive. The almost symbolic price of €50 got you a 30-minute dive, where you would learn how to gear up, equalize, and breathe underwater using a regulator. We agreed upon a time and date and just like that, it was in the books. A number of subsequent commenters opine that the Citizen wears smaller (even "women's watch" small.) The Seiko has a slightly more octagonal shape, and, as discussed below, a much bigger, protruding crown. Because of that, I would agree that it wears larger. But in my experience, not extremely so. Even if the timekeeping was less than stellar, at this writing, I feel this is a watch that I will always keep. It has that intangible factor for me. I would go so far as to say that I think the 09W could become a classic if it received more attention. I think the watch feels like a 41.5mm watch.. It wears smaller than the SKX007 just a bit, maybe it's the crown location that gives that feeling. I haven't measured the power reserve, but I'm pretty sure it lasts over 35 hours since I hasn't noticed any shortness in energy when switching from modern movement watches daily.

Citizen Wristwatches UK

Powering the NY0040 is a Citizen in house movement, the Miyota 8200. This is a 21 jewel movement with a 21,600 BPH which many find to be more accurate than the Seiko SKX007, although this can cause quite the debate.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment