276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Love in the Time of Bertie: A 44 Scotland Street Novel

£8.995£17.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Alongside the Lobb shoes, in as complete a contrast as could be imagined, was a pair of Belgian shoes, those light-weight, indoor shoes that are made only in Belgium and are completely unsuitable for active use. Catch up once again with the extended family at No 44, in this the latest instalment in the Scotland Street series. Despite the fact that little happens in the way of plot, this book made me laugh out loud many times, boil with fury and frustration.

His works have been translated into more than forty languages and have been best sellers throughout the world…. Bertie is also enrolled in an Aberdeen school, where he can't understand the Scots language used by his classmates. Meanwhile, upstairs at 44 Scotland Street, Bertie's father Stuart is powerless to stop over-bearing Irene and her motion for Bertie to travel to Aberdeen on a three-month secondment. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics.

I always read books from this series so quickly but am always sad when they are over, not least because I'm not sure if there will be another. Earlier stand alone novels include 'La’s Orchestra Saves the World' and 'Trains and Lovers: A Hearts Journey'. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. That quality of honesty was difficult to define – in shoes at least – but one knew it when one encountered it. Angus had never fallen for that particular attempt to sugar the pill of local deindustrialisation and the deskilling that went with it.

Upstairs, at 44 Scotland Street, his father Stuart is powerless to stop over-bearing Irene and her determination that Bertie will travel to deepest, coldest Aberdeen on a three-month sojourn. Regarding preserving hot water bottles when the rubber begins to perish: "You can fix them with a bicycle repair kit" and "we keep our hot water bottles for 30 years. After studying art, she went on to work as an illustrator on various projects, including books on science, astronomy and animal behaviour. Thus a lecture entitled 'New Directions in Scottish Conceptual Art,' where the speaker states 'we don't need paintings, we need experiences,' leaves Angus worried about the future of Scottish painting.This was the very opposite of Angus Lordie’s wardrobe, as gloriously over-engineered, in its way, as the Forth Railway Bridge, and of similar vintage. By great good fortune, Angus and his father had near-identical feet, and when Angus left school, his father passed his shoes on to him. The pacing is set by character development and conversations and the passage of time in these novels is arbitrary.

Domenica MacDonald cultivates a friendship with Tarquin, one of the downstairs student neighbours, and they have some stimulating conversations. Warm hearted, humorous and wonderfully wise, Love in the Time of Bertie offers philosophical insight as well as sartorial elegance. Angus Lordie is a traditional portrait artist with an animus against The Turner Prize, which awards conceptual art - such as a video of a chair seen from different angles - rather than art objects. His kilt, along with his sporran, hose, kilt pin and sgian dubh, were also in one of the drawers, protected, ineffectively, by moth-repelling balls of cedar. They may not be as elegant as Italian footwear, but Italian shoes would never stand the rigours of Scottish conditions.

things may get bad and then we say to ourselves remember your view and then everything looks better.

He gives me hope for the future all these kids bring raised and taught by the PC culture and he's having none of it.

His regular shoes – described by Domenica as his daily boots – were a pair of brown brogues made by the Northampton shoe-maker, Joseph Cheaney. I never want to say too much for fear of giving away any spoilers, but suffice it to say that everything I've ever wanted to have happen for some of my most-loved and most-despised characters happened in this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment