276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Last One To Die

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Point Horror for a new generation . . . best read under the covers in one sitting.' Kathryn Foxfield, author of Good Girls Die First. 'A supernatural terror-fest! Murphy takes you on a terrifying murder spree across London, relentlessly building the tension to a blood-curdling climax. I absolutely devoured it!' Kat Ellis, author of Harrow Lake. Skin color changes, with lips and nail beds that are pale, bluish, or, in people of color, purplish

Author Luke Palmer introduces his new book, Play (Firefly Press) about four boys growing up together, the challenges, the friendships, and what hap... Skulason B, Hauksdottir A, Ahcic K, Helgason AR. Death talk: gender differences in talking about one’s own impending death. BMC Palliative Care. 2014;13(1). doi:10.1186/1472-684x-13-8 There was also the symbolic reason of ending at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month,” says Jonathan Casey, director of the archives and Edward Jones Research Center at the National World War I Museum and Memorial. The quest to bring poetic symmetry to the conclusion of a war that was anything but poetic came at a terrible cost—the lives of nearly 3,000 soldiers, including one American private who sought to restore his reputation in the war’s final minute. The war continued for six hours after the armistice signing. Elle pensait vivre le meilleur ete de sa vie… ce sera peut-etre le dernier.Niamh, 17 ans, a travaille comme une dingue pour pouvoir se payer des cours d’ete dans la plus grande ecole d’art dramatique de Londres. Elle s’imagine decouvrir une ville accueillante mais se heurte a une ambiance glacante : de nombreuses jeunes filles, dont ses nouvelles amies, se font violemment agresser. Toutes ont le meme profil, celui de Niamh… qui va se retrouver au coeur du plus effrayant des films d’horreur ! The Last One to Die by Cynthia Murphy – eBook Details

General John Pershing, chief of the American Expeditionary Forces, officially recorded Gunther as the last American soldier to die in World War I, although the death toll would climb as it took several days for the news to reach remote battlefronts around the globe. Armistice Day casualties surpassed the daily average on the Western Front. Niamh has just moved to London to attend drama school. She is very excited and can not wait to start school. Shortly after 5 a.m. on November 11, 1918, German, British and French officials gathered inside a railroad dining car in a dark forest north of Paris and signed an armistice to end World War I. Rejecting German calls to immediately halt hostilities, Allied commander Ferdinand Foch dictated that the guns would fall silent at 11 a.m. in part to allow news of the cease-fire to be transmitted to the front lines. I would recommend this to anybody who enjoys crime and thriller books and people who like horror and books with a creepy, supernatural twist. I would rate it 5 stars because it had a great plot and I really enjoyed reading it.

Niamh is a great character, brave and feisty and determined to solve the horrific mystery she has become embroiled in. The other characters in the book are all well written and the author makes the reader distrust each of them so that we do not know until the end of the book who is truly on Niamh's side. I especially liked Jess, who becomes a real ally to Niamh. The ending of the book is a tour-de force of horror, with open coffins, bundles of bones and Niamh in deadly danger from a vengeful ghost. Cynthia is a YA writer from the North-West of England. She has always enjoyed writing and when her English teacher accused her of plagiarism in Year 8, she thought she might actually be quite good at it. The romance between Tommie and Niamh was pretty sweet, though since he was a suspect on my list I just couldn’t fully enjoy it. Haha. I am still happy we do get a dash of romance, because now there was a bit of light-heartedness. Not everything was dark.The library, the museum, the old scary stories that happened in the part and brought eeriness… These were some of my favorite scenes in the whole book. I though this book was going to be a murder mystery, which I guess it was I just hadn't realised it was a supernatural one.

Use italics (lyric) and bold (lyric) to distinguish between different vocalists in the same song part I am happy that the author told us how Niamh was pronounced. I am sorry, but I just don’t know any Irish people. And I live in Dutch-speaking country. XD I was already prepared to google it and see what was up, but I am happy I didn’t have to do that. The storyline was good and exciting. The only problem I had was the scary parts. It wasn't scary enough for me. I couldn't feel the ice-cold feeling when you been scared for one scene. It was like a normal thriller book. According to author Joseph Persico, Gunther was one of at least 2,738 troops and 320 Americans to die on the Western Front in the war’s final day, most of them in the six hours between the armistice signing and enactment. Persico wrote in Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour that the death toll surpassed the daily average on the Western Front. “It seems so foolish,” Corporal Harold Pierce wrote of his experience on the war’s final day, “to keep up the killing till the last minute.” This is the start of a story that will keep you guessing. I really loved the writing style. It flowed easily for me. Characters were believable and I grew to care about what happened to them.She has a long-standing love affair with all things scary, reading Point Horrors at primary school before graduating to Stephen King in her misguided teens. Classic 90s and 00s horror movies are definitely her pub quiz strong point and her first love may well have been Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Studying for a degree in Art History and Archaeology meant that she developed a thirst for anything old, beautiful and very often dead. She tries to combine this with contemporary settings in her writing to make unique and chilling modern stories.

The friendship with Jess, the family closeness and the love interest scenes were a wonderful addition to the suspense we get, like breathing a bit of fresh air as well. I loved it when scenes made me giggle or give me the butterflies. It was very light as well, which helped break the scary moments and make you believe everything was good, before another plot twist happened. This was a really entertaining fast paced read that I could not put down. The mystery and the investigation of the case was just such a treat. And sure, I'll briefly skim over Jessica, Jasmine, Meghan and Will. Why? Because they were flat, one-dimensional walking tropes. Jessica was the classic "best friend", Jasmine was the classic "mean girl" (with a side dose of kleptomanic tendencies that is never explored??) , Meghan was the stereotypical "extroverted, adoring sister" and Will was the "wronged suspicious lanky dude" . And I think that about sums them up to be honest. Entertaining and menacing in equal measure, and loaded with cliff-hangers and red herrings, this accomplished debut brings old school Point Horror novels to mind.Stamping a supernatural creepy modern twist on the Point Horrors of old and giving a fresh modern voice to the genre, Last One To Die is a proper suspenseful scare fest that had me hiding under the covers on more than one occasion! It’s basically like a point horror book for modern readers and that might sound dismissive, but it’s honestly the highest praise I could give it and I LOVED IT! Sweet Valley Thrillers and Point Horror were my gateway drugs into reading adult books as my aunty saw me reading them & then gave me some of her Stephen King & James Herbert (and James Patterson) books to read aged 11/12 and that was it, I was hooked. I never stopped reading “kids books”, I just added adult books in and I think that’s why I still enjoy any age fiction nowadays. Scholastic Introducing” is a series of interviews with authors set to publish their debut books for children or young people in 2021. In this Q&A we introduce Cynthia Murphy, the author of YA horror-thriller LAST ONE TO DIE.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment