276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Love Like Blood (Tom Thorne Novels)

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Although there were many seemingly unconnected threads throughout the book, including the harrowing case of two small children suspected of being abused that Helen was working on, Billingham gathers them all together at the time and pulls them in so tight that you struggle to see where they were ever seemed loose to begin with. Aside from the plot, the statistics about the number and nature of the honour killings in the UK (further explained in an author's note at the end) are chilling and defy belief. And then Thorne decides to play judge, jury and executioner himself in the most pathetic and unbelievable confession.

The rationalization for it is still shocking and astounding, I hope, to all of us: "Respect is important, and you hold on to it by weeding out those who are misled. But where Thorne and Tanner strive for justice, Muldoon outright relishes rape and murder and Raz is as cold-blooded as they come. Thorne’s gut is telling him that the parents of both missing teenagers are behind it, and he leans hard on them without the evidence to back it up. The novel was mostly plot, and had a good pace as a consequence, 500+ pages raced through in just a couple of days.

In Love like Blood, two young teens disappear and Thorne is sure it is connected to one of his unsolved cases from 4 years ago, where a young Indian woman disappeared. The author note at the end of the book revealing just how much fact and truth was used to form this powerful and memorable crime novel. Honour killings have also been documented in Jewish and Christian communities,' Tanners says in the book. The narrative zips along, solid police procedural, with characters that have fully developed into familiar people throughout the course of the series. In Love Like Blood I have tried to display the utmost respect for Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism and for those who practice their religions peacefully.

So for fans of Mark Billingham, "Love Like Blood" will not disappoint, it's like putting on a well worn pair of comfy shoes! Tackling a subject like this in a crime thriller is fraught with perils, but Billingham pulls it off and at no point does the book stray into needless sensation - This is the 14th novel featuring the author's series character, Tom Thorne - (I've been on a bit of a Billingham kick lately and this is the third novel of his I've read this month - back to back reading I add.The hit men thought they had killed DI Nicola Tanner, but they had killed her partner Susan Best in their home. Taken off the case, Tanner enlists the help of DI Tom Thorne to pursue a pair of ruthless killers and the broker handing out the deadly contracts.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment